Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Baltic

I'm sitting lamppost watching and I'm so impressed so far, outbreaks of blizzard like conditions, short breaks with gusting winds blowing the polystyrene like snow up and about, thundersnaw....unbelievable Jeff, I'm staying up until the lighting X appears o  the radar map just for my own sanity! Brilliant ?

• Like 2
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 6.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will get lost amid the avalanche of posts....scuse the pun. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN FOR ONLY THE SECOND TIME IN 7 AND A BIT YEARS I HAVE A MEASURABLE SNOWFALL!  Only a cm mind but a landmar

Let's just start with the money shot - both the ECM and the GFS agree that, as of Wednesday 12pm, the upper air temperatures will be sitting at -14/-15C over most of Scotland, the wind will be pretty

We had a bit of a struggle to get to the hospital this morning, the bus was 20 mins late and the taxi got fed up waiting and had gone. But we got there and hubby had the op, it's not cancer it's just

Posted Images

Posted

Oh what a night. It's been snowing here for about 3 hours now, light then heavy. About 5-6cm lying. I can't take my eyes off the radar, more on it's way it appears.Glasgow City appears to have taken quite a substancial hit, the traffic cams look nuts, M77 and M80 also. In between the showers it's been quite odd as the moon has been out, lighting up the garden and field. Well it appears on the radar another flurry in the next 10 minutes or so. I don't want to go to bed.

Keep warm.

• Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wind driven falling snow
    9 minutes ago, colrobs said:

Oh what a night. It's been snowing here for about 3 hours now, light then heavy. About 5-6cm lying. I can't take my eyes off the radar, more on it's way it appears.Glasgow City appears to have taken quite a substancial hit, the traffic cams look nuts, M77 and M80 also. In between the showers it's been quite odd as the moon has been out, lighting up the garden and field. Well it appears on the radar another flurry in the next 10 minutes or so. I don't want to go to bed.

Keep warm.

I've been to bed and got back up, slept an hour. I might go outside for a wee wonder. It's really bright even when it's snowing. Fabulous night and then we can see what the next 48hrs+ will bring. So far, so epic :)

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
    17 minutes ago, Sawel said:

Thundersnow and lightning!!!! 

Just got woken up a few minutes ago. It's the heaviest yet!

Camera does not do this justice.

IMG_0070.JPG

• Like 6
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Radar shows a wee gap until the next lot hits. Gonna try and get back to sleep.

Night all.

• Like 1
    Posted
    13 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I've been to bed and got back up, slept an hour. I might go outside for a wee wonder. It's really bright even when it's snowing. Fabulous night and then we can see what the next 48hrs+ will bring. So far, so epic :)

Ive been traffic cam watching, and large parts of the country have a fair bit of snow lying. Mainly the length of the East Coast, Central and Central Belt. Dundee, Edinburgh and Glasgow doing well on the radar.  Plenty more showers and bands tracking in. Some reports of thunder snow.

Enjoy your walk if you go out.

• Like 2
    Posted

I went outside to experience the heavy snow and get a taste of the -16c uppers as I've never experienced such extreme conditions. Am I in Dundee or the Arctic? 

• Like 8
    Posted
    1 minute ago, Sawel said:

I went outside to experience the heavy snow and get a taste of the -16c uppers as I've never experienced such extreme conditions. Am I in Dundee or the Arctic? 

The snow and the cold are wild with the wind.

• Like 2
    Posted
    Just now, colrobs said:

The snow and the cold are wild with the wind.

It was quite an experience! a lot of drifting too.

• Like 1
    Posted

Wee picture of some of the motorways as of 2am. Quite impressive the geographical distance between these 4 locations. Livingston, Scotstoun, Glasgow Airport, Moodiesburn. Not one for getting hung up on MetO warnings ?.... but tonight should have been amber for sure 

IMG_8395.PNG

IMG_8396.PNG

IMG_8398.PNG

IMG_8399.PNG

• Like 2
    Posted
    1 minute ago, Sawel said:

It was quite an experience! a lot of drifting too.

Good video, enjoy thr rest of the night/morning. I'm off now, see what tomorrow brings.

• Like 1
    Posted
    1 minute ago, colrobs said:

Good video, enjoy thr rest of the night/morning. I'm off now, see what tomorrow brings.

A few more days of this so lots of folk should get plenty of fun.

• Like 1
    Posted

Unbelievable those daytime temperatures whilst getting heavy snow at the same time. 

IMG_8404.PNG

• Like 3
    Posted

Good Luck to everyone today. I am doing well in the west so far with a dusting at the moment and showers are now getting blowen in here more frequently without fading away.

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: bright & frosty/snowy; summer: hot and sunny.

Briefly awake. Looked out the window: snaw's gone radge over past few hours. We're getting whumphed - and that's before the amber warning kicks in.

Snawmageddon! 

• Like 7
    Posted
    5 minutes ago, Polar Gael said:

Briefly awake. Looked out the window: snaw's gone radge over past few hours. We're getting whumphed - and that's before the amber warning kicks in.

Snawmageddon! 

47 mins until it starts...and I'm stuck in the house with my road drifted over. Bring it on :)

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

ooooh yes no complaints from Perth this morning..... looking rather tasty id guess around 8-9 cm. here before the warning starts

fair play to @LomondSnowstormand others who called it very well last night 

toys firmly in the pram and hopefully more gettimg put in it

• Like 8
    Posted

Slight overnight accumulation of snow, but difficult to assess at the mo with it being powdery and blown around in a very gusty wind. As usual the showers are doing a good job in dodging my location. By the looks of a car roof test, I would say about a 2cm covering. :) 

Earlier on, planet Jupiter was shining brightly during one of the clearer spells

Around 30mins ago there was a massive flash to the south, but not sure if I heard thunder or just the swirly wind.

• Like 6
    Posted
    4 minutes ago, edo said:

ooooh yes no complaints from Perth this morning..... looking rather tasty id guess around 8-9 cm. here before the warning starts

fair play to @LomondSnowstormand others who called it very well last night 

toys firmly in the pram and hopefully more gettimg put in it

Well just the other grump to go now, @101_North what's it like at your bit?

• Like 2
    Posted

my question got a bit lost last night but are we expected to see an organised band forming at a particular time today out in the North Sea or is it simply a case of multiple convective showers 

Posted
    13 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Well just the other grump to go now, @101_North what's it like at your bit?

hahahahahah i deserve that

not a grump was just a panic as had broke the first rule of snow club and told everyone ?

dont ever group me with @101_North though ? 

Edited by edo