Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

Posted
  • Location: Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire (this lockdown) Freuchie, Fife (normally)
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
  • Location: Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire (this lockdown) Freuchie, Fife (normally)

thumbnail_IMG_20180227_200635.thumb.jpg.ebea6647153371518d711d14e3da33a7.jpgPicture of the outside (although with a bit of a reflection there, sadly I haven't quite managed to optimise my lamp post capabilities to that extent:rofl:)

• Like 9
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 6.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will get lost amid the avalanche of posts....scuse the pun. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN FOR ONLY THE SECOND TIME IN 7 AND A BIT YEARS I HAVE A MEASURABLE SNOWFALL!  Only a cm mind but a landmar

Let's just start with the money shot - both the ECM and the GFS agree that, as of Wednesday 12pm, the upper air temperatures will be sitting at -14/-15C over most of Scotland, the wind will be pretty

We had a bit of a struggle to get to the hospital this morning, the bus was 20 mins late and the taxi got fed up waiting and had gone. But we got there and hubby had the op, it's not cancer it's just

Posted Images

Posted

Snow stopped, skies have cleared leading to an impressive drop in temperature from -2.5C to -3.9C in just 15mins.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal weather!

The snow sounds weird tonight. Even though we have a good covering already, the falling snow sounds like heavy rain!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
    29 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

RE: the various snowshields, the big line of heavy showers building out in the North Sea at the moment heading due west rather than southwest is going to reset things as it makes landfall and turn the wind due easterly behind it.

Sure I can see that happening now on the radar, showers off the Aberdeenshire coast are moving in a more westerly direction than earlier today. Probably better news for @More Snowand my ehm...kids, yeah kids, definitely the kids that will be getting excited.

Edit; My youngest's birthday tomorrow so it'll be the best birthday ever if it's also a school 'snow day'.

Edited by Ravelin
    • Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
    12 minutes ago, Paul Martin said:

No we can't :D I'm currently using a marker pen on my screen to trace the outline of showers as they approach and run through the Forth estuary, to get some kind of handle on whats happening over time. My astounding conclusion: there's not many  heading for, or hitting Edinburgh :pardon:

Think I should go and do something normal for a wee while. Whatever normal is !

I think the problem is this:nmmukwind.thumb.png.49baa0e48a74d23af24c337199c8d5d2.png

Dundee and Fife (and Motherwell's) shower line is coming directly from the ENE, the line that's hitting the northeast of England and now the eastern Borders is coming directly from the North East, and your snow is... well, being diverted to either Shuggee or myself:rofl:

This is going to change once this line out in the North Sea moves inland and your snow shield will relent... Or maybe not but you never know:D

Edited by LomondSnowstorm
    • Like 6
    • Thanks 1
    Posted
    20 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

I think I may have underestimated for you....already. Could you send some to @Hairy Celt please?

Never measure on grass, concrete should be fine so long as it’s away from shelter or a heat source. Having said that garden furniture or wheelie bins are the traditional kilted thread measuring tools! :D

Will do!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything outwith the mean.
    6 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

I think the problem is this:nmmukwind.thumb.png.49baa0e48a74d23af24c337199c8d5d2.png

Dundee and Fife (and Motherwell's) shower line is coming directly from the ENE, the line that's hitting the northeast of England and now the eastern Borders is coming directly from the North East, and your snow is... well, being diverted to either Shuggee or myself:rofl:

This is going to change once this line out in the North Sea moves inland and your snow shield will relent... Or maybe not but you never know:D

Cheers LS, that makes sense :good:  But when you say "diverted" I prefer to use the term STOLEN:closedeyes: 

• Like 2
    Posted
    1 minute ago, Paul Martin said:

Cheers LS, that makes sense :good:  But when you say "diverted" I prefer to use the term STOLEN:closedeyes: 

Apologies - I'm 'stealing' a heavy blizzardy shower as we speak:D

• Like 2
    Posted

Had to save a screenshot for posterity, definitely the best forecast here for snow since 2010.

Note the significant difference between the Met and BBC forecast temperatures - BBC version already wrong as its just past -4C now.  Really not impressed by the new BBC weather provider, overall accuracy seems to be significantly worse than the Met Office.

warnings.jpg

bbc warnings.jpg

• Like 2
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow/Blizzards, Storms, Sun, Lightening

Just had lightening here

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Big cloud to another big cloud: 'Aaaaargh fk no it's the Black Isle, quick, you head that way (north), I'll go this way (south)'

Stage direction <big cloud gives other big cloud a mighty elbow off to one side>

Pause...

Stage direction < big cloud looks over its shoulder>

Big cloud: 'Phew, dodged that fuckwit HC again!'

Edited by Hairy Celt
    decency
    Posted
    23 minutes ago, Rickoza said:

We've dodged them no more.  Rarely seen snow of that type here. 

Yeah, big clouds of powdery snow blowing around in the Hamilton Road - not something you see every day!  Just drove over from Bothwell to Motherwell and it was pelting down at a fair rate.  Car (front wheel drive with non-winter tyres) just failed to get up a tiny slope and will probably be staying stationary for a while now.

Using the carefully-calibrated scientific method of sticking my index finger into the snow, it goes most of the way to the knuckle so probably 8 or 9 cm already.

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frosty, snow....lots of snow! Oh....and more snow!
    8 minutes ago, Sam Mithell said:

I predicted 6 inches of snow in Perth between tonight and tomorrow, am i going to be far off you think?

I’m starting to think Perth’s not going to get any ?‍♀️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

I have a hidden post. Apparently we still treat each other like children with no access to the internet. Fx sake :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

How the f00k can Motherwell have more snow than me

No offence Motherwell

Euro 4 looks good to end of Thursday but yet to get going here....still was not even supposed to get proper snow till early hours of tomorrow so keeping the faith before chucking the toys oot

But mother f00king well

Fae an easterly

Taking the pi55

• Like 3
    Posted
    1 minute ago, Landylou said:

I’m starting to think Perth’s not going to get any ?‍♀️

Landy

Yeah, me too :( We need to keep the faith though... Hawsey and LS seem to think we'll be okay, and they know a lot more than me, certainly :) 

So, in the experts we trust!

Tim

Edited by TinyTim
    • Like 2
    Posted
    1 minute ago, edo said:

How the f00k can Motherwell have more snow than me

No offence Motherwell

Euro 4 looks good to end of Thursday but yet to get going here....still was not even supposed to get proper snow till early hours of tomorrow so keeping the faith before chucking the toys oot

But mother f00king well

Fae an easterly

Taking the pi55

Trust me we've missed this sort of snow for many years.  Don't deny us just this once please-)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frosty, snow....lots of snow! Oh....and more snow!
    3 minutes ago, TinyTim said:

Landy

Yeah, me too :( We need to keep the faith though... Hawsey and LS seem to think we'll be okay, and they know a lot more than me, certainly :) 

So, in the experts we trust!

Tim

I’m trying to keep the faith, believe me ? I think I jinxed it by putting off road tyres on my jeep ?

I trust the experts, I don’t know how to read the charts and graphs so I’m staying in here for updates!

• Like 1