Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will get lost amid the avalanche of posts....scuse the pun. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN FOR ONLY THE SECOND TIME IN 7 AND A BIT YEARS I HAVE A MEASURABLE SNOWFALL!  Only a cm mind but a landmar

Let's just start with the money shot - both the ECM and the GFS agree that, as of Wednesday 12pm, the upper air temperatures will be sitting at -14/-15C over most of Scotland, the wind will be pretty

We had a bit of a struggle to get to the hospital this morning, the bus was 20 mins late and the taxi got fed up waiting and had gone. But we got there and hubby had the op, it's not cancer it's just

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Hawesy said:

This will get lost amid the avalanche of posts....scuse the pun.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN FOR ONLY THE SECOND TIME IN 7 AND A BIT YEARS I HAVE A MEASURABLE SNOWFALL! :):D:rofl:

Only a cm mind but a landmark day for the kilted thread. :rofl:

Incredible! That alone surely merits a red warning...

• Haha 8
30 minutes ago, A Winter's Tale said:

Given the Met Office's track record I would agree. I can't remember the last red warning for snow in a Scotland - I think Edinburgh in December 2010

There was one red warning that winter for Edinburgh and I got hugely excited and then it vanished a few hours before its time-stamp... :'(

Mind you, I did have enough snaw that winter, so I survived :)

But that's the only red warning I've ever seen. 

6 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

West Lothian group call message just now said further update on schools before 7 am. They should just shut them all let the kids play in the snow!

I got that message too Lorenzo. Wondering why Falkirk council deems it necessary to close all schools but West Lothian, further east, will wait until morning?

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, BurntFishTrousers said:

I can't see a red warning. Happy to be proved wrong as long as everyone is safe :)

Decent covering in Larbert noo.

Ah Mondys back.

Must be something interesting happening!

Big Innes

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Evening 

It was fun watching the showers come in from my office window, shame we only got a couple of cm if that.   

Still feeling a bit nervous about tomorrow & Thursday plus my son has got his hopes up for a snow day this week ?☃

Time for a wee snow dance see if it helps ? 

• Like 4
18 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

Incredible! That alone surely merits a red warning...

Surely something a bit stronger than a warning!!  :drunk:

Here, the radar says 'snow shower', wind direction and strength are favourable, but it's just freezing cold and bone dry :cc_confused:

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

Wow! -3.5C and bucketing down! We NEVER get that low even when the sky is clear and the air is calm. Remarkable!

In other news.......the Night King is marching on Falkland.

P1170402.jpg

What a picture! :good:

• Like 2
4 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

The showers seem to be increasing in size/intensity once they make landfall ...

I've noticed this too... Very strange! 

Don't even have a covering of snow yet here in the Newington part of Edinburgh, but it seems like the west of the city has done pretty well so far. Places like Livingston look like they've been getting clobbered this evening. Hopefully the weird tendency of showers to decay rapidly near here and then re-intensify after moving past will end before tomorrow!

• Like 1