Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will get lost amid the avalanche of posts....scuse the pun. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN FOR ONLY THE SECOND TIME IN 7 AND A BIT YEARS I HAVE A MEASURABLE SNOWFALL!  Only a cm mind but a landmar

Let's just start with the money shot - both the ECM and the GFS agree that, as of Wednesday 12pm, the upper air temperatures will be sitting at -14/-15C over most of Scotland, the wind will be pretty

We had a bit of a struggle to get to the hospital this morning, the bus was 20 mins late and the taxi got fed up waiting and had gone. But we got there and hubby had the op, it's not cancer it's just

Posted Images

49 minutes ago, Norrance said:

Maybe a cm here but quite wet and has melted off the road.Is it the bulbs?

Less down towards Riverside.

No chance of  snow/settling snow here at the moment. 

Screenshot_20180227-095935.thumb.png.3c00962c7f1e39316a8ee24ef3ad75a0.png

Screenshot_20180227-100009.thumb.png.c9d67067155416c9e6668b6677b77a8e.png

Screenshot_20180227-100046.thumb.png.14d7ea56a1211a45db0022808feb7672.png

Edited by ghoneym
22 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

there are troughs in the flow

20180227.0422.PPVE89.png

They've been on the fax chart since Sat night/Sunday.

And, who said Stirling's in the firing line?

Clearly doesn't know Stirling has the most technologically advanced snow shield in the country.

:nonono:

• Haha 4
2 hours ago, edo said:

@Allyw12 @over_the_rainbow @TinyTim here we here we here we ####### go :yahoo:

Edo

Yep! Here we go... let's just hope it peps up a little ;) I'm never satisfied lol

Just been for a quick walk to the sorting office and lots of very fine pellets.  Nice to see it lying already though, so we'll still just have to wait...

Tim

• Like 2

Stay cool everyone. 

This morning was always forecast as an amuse bouche. This afternoon and early evening our appetiser. Tomorrow we gorge

yeah ok I am nervous too. But nervous excitement

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

A few flakes blowing about in the breeze this morning. Anything that was falling was not melting.

Bitterly cold, everything frozen solid, including the milk bottles on the doorstep!

Edited by JamesM

On 25/02/2018 at 11:10, AFC Snow said:
2 hours ago, Gogoslo said:
2 hours ago, Gogoslo said:

Very light snow in Balmedie and even less now in Aberdeen.      Tomorrow and Thursday appears to when the heavy stuff appears.

Where’s the delete button??‍♂️ Phone been playing tricks in my pocket??

5 minutes ago, 101_North said:

If anything the latest Amber warning looks like an upgrade of sorts. Extended longer on Thursday and covers further south.

Yeah noticed that. Here and now, dew point has dropped steadily to -3 at the airport, wind constant from the east, radar looks decent over coming hours, and fine snowflakes blowing about in the wind down here. The trend might be underway.

• Like 1

Picking up a direct north easterly here at the moment.   Is it to turn direct easterly later?   Concerned about the direction of convection  otherwise.

1.7c/-4.4c/NE

Edited by Blitzen
14 minutes ago, 101_North said:

If anything the latest Amber warning looks like an upgrade of sorts. Extended longer on Thursday and covers further south.

Given the Euro4 I am not surprised :)

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Blitzen said:

Picking up a direct north easterly here at the moment.   Is it to turn direct easterly later?   Concerned about the direction of convection later otherwise.

As far as I can see it should begin to veer most easterly as the day goes on. Fingers crossed :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A nice start with a dusting. Hopefully a lot more to come in the coming days - I'm hoping for more than 5 inches but expecting 6cm. 

It's great to see the thread busy again with the prospect of the best snow since 2010 in many areas. It's going to be interesting to see what the radar will show in the next couple of days and how much snow we get out of it. If this comes anywhere near 2010 then a memorable winter will become an epic one. For some, the snow will be more than epic - many eastern areas will see more than 15cm and some will get more than 30cm. Regardless of how much snow we get, we are on the cusp of the best late February snow since 2001 and 2006 for March with the coldest uppers for decades providing the best charts and the most impressive second-half of winter cold spell in my lifetime.

It's going to be a fun 48hrs+ and hopefully loads of snow - looking forward to everyone's snow reports and pictures.

• Like 4

Took the boy to school this morning nice dusting here at 0630, I'm a Firefighter up at Lochgelly, and as you may know the highest town in Fife. I'm night shift tonight so I put money on it being busy. It amazes me how bad some folk drive in this weather.