Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards


Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: Luncarty (4 miles north of Perth 19m ASL)
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
  • Location: Luncarty (4 miles north of Perth 19m ASL)
    43 minutes ago, Landylou said:

    Strange how a few miles can make such a difference! My pics were taken in Gask, half way between Perth and Auchterarder! I remember in 2010 phoning my work in Perth saying I might not make it in, there was a good 2-3ft of snow! They wouldn’t accept it as there was only a few inches in Perth....until I sent pics to my manager ?‍♀️?

    exaxtly the same thing happened with me.... it was my friend who i was manager of at the time and i jokingly demanded to see pictures....they were exactly like yours... he stayed up the back of spittalfield and had some altitude which made all the difference 

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 6.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Popular Posts

    This will get lost amid the avalanche of posts....scuse the pun. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN FOR ONLY THE SECOND TIME IN 7 AND A BIT YEARS I HAVE A MEASURABLE SNOWFALL!  Only a cm mind but a landmar

    Let's just start with the money shot - both the ECM and the GFS agree that, as of Wednesday 12pm, the upper air temperatures will be sitting at -14/-15C over most of Scotland, the wind will be pretty

    We had a bit of a struggle to get to the hospital this morning, the bus was 20 mins late and the taxi got fed up waiting and had gone. But we got there and hubby had the op, it's not cancer it's just

    Posted Images

    Posted
  • Location: Luncarty (4 miles north of Perth 19m ASL)
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
  • Location: Luncarty (4 miles north of Perth 19m ASL)
    43 minutes ago, TinyTim said:

    Cheers Edo :) Thank you for the reassurance!

    I am really hoping it will be decent, and as long as we get 2-4 inches or so I'd be happy... more is a bonus :)

    Tim

    ive never been so confident of being sure it will snow and a decent fall at that.... its quite bizarre 

    even i would throw my toys oot the pram if this somehow went titticus verticus

    • Like 3
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Luncarty (4 miles north of Perth 19m ASL)
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
  • Location: Luncarty (4 miles north of Perth 19m ASL)

    wonder if LS has behaved on his date or started shifting  through the 18z at dessert 

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: NH7256
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
  • Location: NH7256

    Hello, Perth! Anyway, don't think you're the only snow-starved chappies, much of the west and north-west Highlands are likely to get a sprinkling at best. And no 541t about 'oh, there's only goats and deer in the hills....'

    (Seems like someone's stolen all the smilies tonight :-/ )

    2C out tonight after a cracking day. Firewood for next winter's 10 week extended northerly freeze stashed.

     

    modez.bmp

    • Like 4
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Upper Tweeddale, Scottish Borders 240m ASL
  • Location: Upper Tweeddale, Scottish Borders 240m ASL

    So, back from my week in the Canaries, and it appears there's nothing exciting happening... A sleet shower in Suffolk maybe?

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Luncarty (4 miles north of Perth 19m ASL)
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
  • Location: Luncarty (4 miles north of Perth 19m ASL)

    hello ? HC and Shuggee..... 

    yup been a few snow starved places.... hopefully some of those do well this week

    southern cousins in meltdown chasing breakdowns

    once in a lifetime charts potentially and they can't seem to see what is in front of them 

    im staying out of there for a few days 

    meanwhile fun could start locally on Monday with some v light flurries 

    Screenshot_20180224-230525.png

    • Like 5
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: bo'ness
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunshine
  • Location: bo'ness
    3 minutes ago, edo said:

    hello ? HC and Shuggee..... 

    yup been a few snow starved places.... hopefully some of those do well this week

    southern cousins in meltdown chasing breakdowns

    once in a lifetime charts potentially and they can't seem to see what is in front of them 

    im staying out of there for a few days 

    meanwhile fun could start locally on Monday with some v light flurries 

    Screenshot_20180224-230525.png

    so theres no sign of this being water down. near enough the real deal

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Dundee - 140m ASL
  • Location: Dundee - 140m ASL
    3 minutes ago, aggy said:

    Serious question how will the whole of Ireland get pasted with snow but Ayrshire won’t ? ?

    Eastern parts of Ireland will see snow from the Easterly...

    Other parts of Ireland could see snow if the low moves up through.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Larne
  • Location: Larne
    7 minutes ago, aggy said:

    Serious question how will the whole of Ireland get pasted with snow but Ayrshire won’t ? ?

    Won't see that much but in easterly convective showers hitting East Coast over Irish sea. 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
    5 hours ago, Northern Strath said:

    Was never in doubt, the knowledge that @Big Innes Madori would get them telt if they took the lead, proved just too much for the English 

    get in Scotland!! :yahoo:

    Whit a day, whit a result and noo you lot are talking aboot takin their snaw next week ?

    Perfec

    Big chuffed tae Fk Innes 

    • Like 4
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Barrhead, East Renfrewshire
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow
  • Location: Barrhead, East Renfrewshire
    14 minutes ago, aggy said:

    Serious question how will the whole of Ireland get pasted with snow but Ayrshire won’t ? ?

    Who said Ayrshire won’t see anything? There is a great chance of snow falling anywhere over the next week or so. Obviously eastern areas will do better but with this easterly anything can pop up over the North Sea and become organised and move across to Ayrshire. I just checked the latest GFS and it shows a low moving up from the south hitting the cold air bringing snow for all areas :)

    A61DF26E-9647-40E1-B81C-CC6447BB4EB6.thumb.png.9482172f595dfd566449697808c69090.png

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Condorrat, Cumbernauld G67
  • Location: Condorrat, Cumbernauld G67

    IF the GFS goes to fruition (which it won't) Scotland wouldn't be out of the freezer for another 2 weeks at least

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Perth - Usually Snow Deprived!
  • Location: Perth - Usually Snow Deprived!
    1 hour ago, edo said:

    ive never been so confident of being sure it will snow and a decent fall at that.... its quite bizarre 

    even i would throw my toys oot the pram if this somehow went titticus verticus

    Edo

    Me too :) Lets hope we're buried in snow and not toys!

    Tim

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Luncarty (4 miles north of Perth 19m ASL)
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
  • Location: Luncarty (4 miles north of Perth 19m ASL)
    44 minutes ago, Michael Kaii said:

    so theres no sign of this being water down. near enough the real deal

    only been upgrades so far and no signs of any watering down.... LS post earlier on today highlighted the situation superbly well.... 

     

    i expect to receive a met office email in work on Monday advising of disruption for the week 

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: bo'ness
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunshine
  • Location: bo'ness
    1 minute ago, edo said:

    only been upgrades so far and no signs of any watering down.... LS post earlier on today highlighted the situation superbly well.... 

     

    i expect to receive a met office email in work on Monday advising of disruption for the week 

    i Think you could be right there. im expecting at least some amber warnings but i have got an other question i see how the met office has a level 3 cold warning for all of england but not for scotland is there a reason why is that? complete newbie here lol

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Perth - Usually Snow Deprived!
  • Location: Perth - Usually Snow Deprived!
    3 minutes ago, Michael Kaii said:

    i Think you could be right there. im expecting at least some amber warnings but i have got an other question i see how the met office has a level 3 cold warning for all of england but not for scotland is there a reason why is that? complete newbie here lol

    Michael 

    I 'think' its because that warning system only covers England, but I don't think there is a Scottish equivalent.

    Tim

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Dunlop, East Ayrshire (133m asl)
  • Location: Dunlop, East Ayrshire (133m asl)
    6 minutes ago, Michael Kaii said:

    i Think you could be right there. im expecting at least some amber warnings but i have got an other question i see how the met office has a level 3 cold warning for all of england but not for scotland is there a reason why is that? complete newbie here lol

    I think it's because it is not a service the Scottish Government subscribes to although not 100% sure.

    Edited by JamesM
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Luncarty (4 miles north of Perth 19m ASL)
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
  • Location: Luncarty (4 miles north of Perth 19m ASL)

    yup correct an English thing, there are updates sent to local governments in Scotland  though which are pretty detailed forecasts...... 

    Edited by edo
    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Perth - Usually Snow Deprived!
  • Location: Perth - Usually Snow Deprived!
    2 minutes ago, edo said:

    yup correct an English thing, there are updates sent to local governments in Scotland  though which are pretty detailed forecasts...... 

    Edo

    Hence your confidence? ;)  Hum... sounds interesting and promising!

    Tim

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: NH7256
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
  • Location: NH7256

    After tomorrow, there's parts of north and central Highlands (@Northernstrath for example) that aren't likely to see positive temps for the next couple of weeks. Could be a few frozen rivers and lochs, burst pipes, hungry birds and small animals, so even if we don't see epic snowfalls, there'll still be some wintriness about.

    • Like 3
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: NH7256
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
  • Location: NH7256

    Wtf? Mosquitoes whining in the kitchen now. Can they not read calendars or thermometers? 

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Monikie Nr. Dundee 535ft above Sea Level
  • Location: Monikie Nr. Dundee 535ft above Sea Level

    Morning all. Not posted in a while but this coming week has got my attention. What a stunning outlook from the Met Office to wake up .can’t remember them being so blunt about a forecast for a long time. 

    I spent a bit of time last night making new snow depth sticks as couldn’t find the ones from 7 years ago. Nearly time to see if I made the scale high enough.....

    BB402EB5-D648-4168-8CBB-DA2CF53823D6.png

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Cumbernauld
  • Location: Cumbernauld
    7 hours ago, Stormeh said:

    Who said Ayrshire won’t see anything? There is a great chance of snow falling anywhere over the next week or so. Obviously eastern areas will do better but with this easterly anything can pop up over the North Sea and become organised and move across to Ayrshire. I just checked the latest GFS and it shows a low moving up from the south hitting the cold air bringing snow for all areas :)

    A61DF26E-9647-40E1-B81C-CC6447BB4EB6.thumb.png.9482172f595dfd566449697808c69090.png

    I checked the snow fall total charts and coastal Ayrshire was zilch I have faith we can get something as the conditions are perfect for snow  and it’s a rairity here . ?

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest
    This topic is now closed to further replies.
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...