Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
    43 minutes ago, Landylou said:

Strange how a few miles can make such a difference! My pics were taken in Gask, half way between Perth and Auchterarder! I remember in 2010 phoning my work in Perth saying I might not make it in, there was a good 2-3ft of snow! They wouldn’t accept it as there was only a few inches in Perth....until I sent pics to my manager ?‍♀️?

exaxtly the same thing happened with me.... it was my friend who i was manager of at the time and i jokingly demanded to see pictures....they were exactly like yours... he stayed up the back of spittalfield and had some altitude which made all the difference 

• Like 1
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 6.4k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This will get lost amid the avalanche of posts....scuse the pun. LADIES AND GENTLEMEN FOR ONLY THE SECOND TIME IN 7 AND A BIT YEARS I HAVE A MEASURABLE SNOWFALL!  Only a cm mind but a landmar

Let's just start with the money shot - both the ECM and the GFS agree that, as of Wednesday 12pm, the upper air temperatures will be sitting at -14/-15C over most of Scotland, the wind will be pretty

We had a bit of a struggle to get to the hospital this morning, the bus was 20 mins late and the taxi got fed up waiting and had gone. But we got there and hubby had the op, it's not cancer it's just

Posted Images

Posted
    43 minutes ago, TinyTim said:

Cheers Edo :) Thank you for the reassurance!

I am really hoping it will be decent, and as long as we get 2-4 inches or so I'd be happy... more is a bonus :)

Tim

ive never been so confident of being sure it will snow and a decent fall at that.... its quite bizarre 

even i would throw my toys oot the pram if this somehow went titticus verticus

• Like 3
    Posted

wonder if LS has behaved on his date or started shifting  through the 18z at dessert 

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Hello, Perth! Anyway, don't think you're the only snow-starved chappies, much of the west and north-west Highlands are likely to get a sprinkling at best. And no 541t about 'oh, there's only goats and deer in the hills....'

(Seems like someone's stolen all the smilies tonight :-/ )

2C out tonight after a cracking day. Firewood for next winter's 10 week extended northerly freeze stashed.

modez.bmp

• Like 4
    Posted

So, back from my week in the Canaries, and it appears there's nothing exciting happening... A sleet shower in Suffolk maybe?

• Like 2
    Posted

hello ? HC and Shuggee..... 

yup been a few snow starved places.... hopefully some of those do well this week

southern cousins in meltdown chasing breakdowns

once in a lifetime charts potentially and they can't seem to see what is in front of them 

im staying out of there for a few days 

meanwhile fun could start locally on Monday with some v light flurries 

Screenshot_20180224-230525.png

• Like 5
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunshine
    3 minutes ago, edo said:

hello ? HC and Shuggee..... 

yup been a few snow starved places.... hopefully some of those do well this week

southern cousins in meltdown chasing breakdowns

once in a lifetime charts potentially and they can't seem to see what is in front of them 

im staying out of there for a few days 

meanwhile fun could start locally on Monday with some v light flurries 

Screenshot_20180224-230525.png

so theres no sign of this being water down. near enough the real deal

Posted
    3 minutes ago, aggy said:

Serious question how will the whole of Ireland get pasted with snow but Ayrshire won’t ? ?

Eastern parts of Ireland will see snow from the Easterly...

Other parts of Ireland could see snow if the low moves up through.

Posted
    7 minutes ago, aggy said:

Serious question how will the whole of Ireland get pasted with snow but Ayrshire won’t ? ?

Won't see that much but in easterly convective showers hitting East Coast over Irish sea. 

Posted
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
  • Weather Preferences: Hot N' Sunny / Cauld N' Snawy
  • Location: The Highlands of West Fife. 650ft ASL. Nr Knockhill Racing Circuit
    5 hours ago, Northern Strath said:

Was never in doubt, the knowledge that @Big Innes Madori would get them telt if they took the lead, proved just too much for the English 

get in Scotland!! :yahoo:

Whit a day, whit a result and noo you lot are talking aboot takin their snaw next week ?

Perfec

Big chuffed tae Fk Innes 

• Like 4
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow
    14 minutes ago, aggy said:

Who said Ayrshire won’t see anything? There is a great chance of snow falling anywhere over the next week or so. Obviously eastern areas will do better but with this easterly anything can pop up over the North Sea and become organised and move across to Ayrshire. I just checked the latest GFS and it shows a low moving up from the south hitting the cold air bringing snow for all areas :)

A61DF26E-9647-40E1-B81C-CC6447BB4EB6.thumb.png.9482172f595dfd566449697808c69090.png

• Like 2
    Posted

IF the GFS goes to fruition (which it won't) Scotland wouldn't be out of the freezer for another 2 weeks at least

Posted
    1 hour ago, edo said:

ive never been so confident of being sure it will snow and a decent fall at that.... its quite bizarre 

even i would throw my toys oot the pram if this somehow went titticus verticus

Edo

Me too :) Lets hope we're buried in snow and not toys!

Tim

Posted
    44 minutes ago, Michael Kaii said:

so theres no sign of this being water down. near enough the real deal

only been upgrades so far and no signs of any watering down.... LS post earlier on today highlighted the situation superbly well.... 

i expect to receive a met office email in work on Monday advising of disruption for the week 

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Sunshine
    1 minute ago, edo said:

only been upgrades so far and no signs of any watering down.... LS post earlier on today highlighted the situation superbly well.... 

i expect to receive a met office email in work on Monday advising of disruption for the week 

i Think you could be right there. im expecting at least some amber warnings but i have got an other question i see how the met office has a level 3 cold warning for all of england but not for scotland is there a reason why is that? complete newbie here lol

Posted
    3 minutes ago, Michael Kaii said:

i Think you could be right there. im expecting at least some amber warnings but i have got an other question i see how the met office has a level 3 cold warning for all of england but not for scotland is there a reason why is that? complete newbie here lol

Michael 

I 'think' its because that warning system only covers England, but I don't think there is a Scottish equivalent.

Tim

Posted
    6 minutes ago, Michael Kaii said:

I think it's because it is not a service the Scottish Government subscribes to although not 100% sure.

Edited by JamesM
    Posted

yup correct an English thing, there are updates sent to local governments in Scotland  though which are pretty detailed forecasts...... 

Edited by edo
    • Like 1
    Posted
    2 minutes ago, edo said:

yup correct an English thing, there are updates sent to local governments in Scotland  though which are pretty detailed forecasts...... 

Edo

Hence your confidence? ;)  Hum... sounds interesting and promising!

Tim

Posted

After tomorrow, there's parts of north and central Highlands (@Northernstrath for example) that aren't likely to see positive temps for the next couple of weeks. Could be a few frozen rivers and lochs, burst pipes, hungry birds and small animals, so even if we don't see epic snowfalls, there'll still be some wintriness about.

• Like 3
    Posted

Wtf? Mosquitoes whining in the kitchen now. Can they not read calendars or thermometers? 

• Like 1
    Posted

Morning all. Not posted in a while but this coming week has got my attention. What a stunning outlook from the Met Office to wake up .can’t remember them being so blunt about a forecast for a long time. 

I spent a bit of time last night making new snow depth sticks as couldn’t find the ones from 7 years ago. Nearly time to see if I made the scale high enough.....

BB402EB5-D648-4168-8CBB-DA2CF53823D6.png

• Like 1
    Posted
    7 hours ago, Stormeh said:

Who said Ayrshire won’t see anything? There is a great chance of snow falling anywhere over the next week or so. Obviously eastern areas will do better but with this easterly anything can pop up over the North Sea and become organised and move across to Ayrshire. I just checked the latest GFS and it shows a low moving up from the south hitting the cold air bringing snow for all areas :)

A61DF26E-9647-40E1-B81C-CC6447BB4EB6.thumb.png.9482172f595dfd566449697808c69090.png

I checked the snow fall total charts and coastal Ayrshire was zilch I have faith we can get something as the conditions are perfect for snow  and it’s a rairity here . ?

• Like 1