Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, Allyw12 said:

Would we see any snow for this set-up? or dry & cold ?

Maybe a dusting ? 

Nah in all seriousness, that's a cracking chart for stacks of snow. If that chart gets within 12 hours of verifying consider bringing the snow shovel into the house so you can dig your way out of the front door ?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'Awrite Stevie wonder' 

that's the funniest thing I've seen in there in a while. It'll be deleted by the morning most likely but I probably found it funnier than it really should be ?? 

all in good banter @Stormeh 

IMG_8281.thumb.PNG.ee29ace3c7ac38087858c7228056ef66.PNG

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ruzzi said:

'Awrite Stevie wonder' 

that's the funniest thing I've seen in there in a while. It'll be deleted by the morning most likely but I probably found it funnier than it really should be ?? 

all in good banter @Stormeh 

Haha thanks ? yep just banter ??

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

Models look better for Easr Scotland this morning ?

Did you type that before or after the ECM at +144 to +192hrs??? Before THIS ECM?? :):):)

Screenshot_20180222-065419.thumb.jpg.394c0be295985276d759a6d9f565f2c1.jpg

Edit: "This" ECM just got promoted to "THAT" ECM. The swear filter would automatically ban me if I said what I thought about this chart:

Screenshot_20180222-070145.thumb.jpg.b0320e3d92e0632fcb9fab84ac5efbc0.jpg

Edited by CatchMyDrift
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another proper winter morning. Mainly a hazy blue sky, with a few pink streaks as the sun rises, no wind to speak of and a substantial layer of ground fog. Temp -2C.

Scotrailing to Glasgow later this morning to meet up with a young rel. for lunch.  The NW forecast projects a pleasant sunny day there and comparatively mild temps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fine  dry start to the day here at 0c .

Just musing just now looking at the model thread that the phrase "Be careful what you wish for" comes to mind especially for  those that have not  seen any snow yet this winter as it appears very disruptive snowy weather is on its way.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wonder if any ppn sneak through to the west, would be good to see, but had snow fix already! Remember 2010/11 i was working in edenburg but through here at wkend, i kept missing the falls in edinburg, then missed the one big dump we got in the west, left about a foot in port glasgow. Came to the conclusion it was me that was the snow shield lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My meto auto forecast is now snaw all day Tuesday and Wednesday..just waiting for Thursday to come into view. :)

Some very nice charts out overnight.

GFS op is close to the mean out to early march, so looking good for winter gaun oot wi a bang.

t850Midlothian.png

Similar case with the ECM (yesterday's 12z London surface T):

ensemble-tt6-london.gif

EDIT

Wee occlusion + trough on the fax T120 tae watch.

20180221.2105.PPVO89.png

As we've seen in some of the outputs, little features giving frontal snow could add to the fun and increase chances for western kilters.

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, grifter said:

Wonder if any ppn sneak through to the west, would be good to see, but had snow fix already! Remember 2010/11 i was working in edenburg but through here at wkend, i kept missing the falls in edinburg, then missed the one big dump we got in the west, left about a foot in port glasgow. Came to the conclusion it was me that was the snow shield lol.

28th Nov 2010?? I was in the upper Port at that time (Kilmacolm).

ECM Charts look good for a repeat...very similar. Time will tell :)

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful morning. Birds singing , daffs starting to burst through the soil. First signs of a little bit of warmth from the sun.

clearly Spring is just round the corner.

...............

An awful lot of people in for an imminent surprise next week

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Morning all! Everyone getting excited aboot the arrival o' the Beastie Boy then? Had a quick peek in the Mod thread, oh dear! Seems a lot of folk might be emigrating to Greenland/Sweden/Russia or some such place if they don't get any white stuff next week! Sad! Anyhoo, it looks like there will be a severe lack of the white stuff here next week, and that doesn't bother me. I'll be too busy trying to cope with the cold! :cold:

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, mistyqueen said:

Morning all! Everyone getting excited aboot the arrival o' the Beastie Boy then? Had a quick peek in the Mod thread, oh dear! Seems a lot of folk might be emigrating to Greenland/Sweden/Russia or some such place if they don't get any white stuff next week! Sad! Anyhoo, it looks like there will be a severe lack of the white stuff here next week, and that doesn't bother me. I'll be too busy trying to cope with the cold! :cold:

Do the models really show not much snow for Scotland?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Serac said:

Beautiful morning. Birds singing , daffs starting to burst through the soil. First signs of a little bit of warmth from the sun.

clearly Spring is just round the corner.

...............

An awful lot of people in for an imminent surprise next week

3

I'll say!:laugh:

images.jpg

 

 

If next week's runs are correct,  below temp will feel positively balmy!    -1c.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, jamieson87 said:

Do the models really show not much snow for Scotland?

There is potential for copious amounts for areas of Scotland, Misty lives on Skye so not favoured in an easterly set-up but given the outlook, anything looks possible :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Northern Strath said:

There is potential for copious amounts for areas of Scotland, Misty lives on Skye so not favoured in an easterly set-up but given the outlook, anything looks possible :) 

Ah okay, thanks.

Forgive my ignorance, I have only just started looking at models ect this week since the "beast" has been talked about. Fascinating stuff really. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, jamieson87 said:

Ah okay, thanks.

Forgive my ignorance, I have only just started looking at models ect this week since the "beast" has been talked about. Fascinating stuff really. 

Just ask away in here, we will all try to help you. I've been looking at charts for 15 years and I'm still clueless half the time. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think given how things have gone recent years that until it actually occurs no-one will be 100% convinced it's going to happen, just been our luck.  But it looks like this is one the bookies would pay out early on.  I was wondering about the Forth-Clyde valley being a funnel to showers from the East though it looks like I won't have to rely on that for snow.  Superb outlook.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As if this winter hasn't given us enough Brucie Bonuses we got more treats to come so it seems

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, jamieson87 said:

Ah okay, thanks.

Forgive my ignorance, I have only just started looking at models ect this week since the "beast" has been talked about. Fascinating stuff really. 

I'm totally lost with a great deal of the models too so rely on the excellent input on here, looks very promising for next week! A fine parting gift from this winter by the looks 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Just ask away in here, we will all try to help you. I've been looking at charts for 15 years and I'm still clueless half the time. 

Yep @jamieson87, you'll always get help in here, the Model Thread is a different story half of the time. If you see @Hawesy start talking about his wet baws then don't worry, none of us know what he's talking about either ??

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

28th Nov 2010?? I was in the upper Port at that time (Kilmacolm).

ECM Charts look good for a repeat...very similar. Time will tell :)

 

Cant remember exact date but yeah i remember kilma got buried as well. I remember being home a day or so after and snow was almost level between shrubs in my folks garden,  and about a foot or so height between them!

Edited by grifter
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still recall how bad we got hit from this

bracka20001228.gif

A full on 1ft+ in the centre of glasgow....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm from the south west tread. But heading up to avimore to sample some Scottish snowboarding from next Monday to Friday. Do any off you think the Cairngorms will get plastered from this set up. Would be just as happy stuck in a blizzard.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...