DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

6 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

@Hawesy's bulb temps must be too high. It's the same here. It's been snowing for 30 minutes and all it's doing is melting the snow from earlier.

Temp 2c dew point 0c here so wet bulb likely to be the wrong side of 0c - though we've had nothing more than a couple of flurries.

The coldest air moves in this afternoon so we should have a window of opportunity even in low lying/coastal areas though slightly less cold upper air moves into the far west by the early hours.

The problem with westerlies (even cold ones) is that there is a lot of (relatively warm) sea to provide low level mixing out of the cold air - that's why even 100m of altitude makes all the difference, I think.

I still reckon the second half of today will be memorable for quite a few of us! All I ask is a cm!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

It's trying its wee bestest:

20180116_132258.thumb.jpg.680e39b2d4adcfceeea1c09a6db286b3.jpg

Edit: When it comes on properly it really is something...I am deeply impressed getting even just this off a westerly.

1516109349562650150936.thumb.jpg.5431f1f2f66639a0e2ab9f48ae5ad438.jpg

Edited by CatchMyDrift
  • Like 6

Hubby says 6 inches here, van already overturned on the A7 earlier, muppet going too fast round a tight bend. Currently sun shining.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kayemill said:

Snowing in Prestwick at sea level and beginning to settle.

That’s promising... I’m pretty sure there have been periods of rain in among the snow here. Very much hoping for this colder air as the snow here isn’t even lying on the cars now.

• Like 1

We're seeing a few heavy snow showers hitting us here, but the temps are all wrong and it's turning to mush 5 mins after settling.

Needing some colder air to come through with the showers.

• Like 1

Big fat pregnant flakes of snow now :shok:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Stormeh said:

Send them on through 😬😬

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

Just wait til they go into labour...snowmageddon!!

• Like 1

Puking down again now, but with the day warmth, it's on the cusp of marginal. I've just used the van to compact the snow on the gravel to our house (fresh winter tyres are great :D ) in the hope of preventing the need for shovelling later, and driven into town for the messages. While the snow here (about 50 m higher than town) is mostly dry, in Moffat itself, it's slushier and significantly less deep. Just heard that Annan on the coast is green, and snow has turned to rain in Dumfries. Elevation is all, and I may head up to Leadhills later to help out with the ski tow and get some photos at some proper height.

• Like 2

Afternoon. White out in Cambuslang for the last 15 minutes. Huge snow flakes. The best so far. If it stayed like this it would be December 2010 all over again.

• Like 1

25cm at Eskdalemuir already! 

• Like 4

Afternoon Happy Campers! Well finally, after much whinging from me, the snow did finally arrive, heralded by sleet, graupel and hail! Showers quiet hefty, but not lasting too long. Lovely blue skies in between, and fkin Baltic! More tonight I think ( Hope! ). Enjoy it all folks, I may venture out to take some piccies later!

• Like 4

Hope the showers pep up gain later this evening - not much action here at the minute. 

49 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It's trying its wee bestest:

20180116_132258.thumb.jpg.680e39b2d4adcfceeea1c09a6db286b3.jpg

Edit: When it comes on properly it really is something...I am deeply impressed getting even just this off a westerly.

1516109349562650150936.thumb.jpg.5431f1f2f66639a0e2ab9f48ae5ad438.jpg

The next one, just over us at the moment is just as good Catch.  Give it 45 minutes....

• Thanks 1

Handkerchief size snow flakes falling and lying on all surfaces in Motherwell at 1415.

• Like 2

The cat is not impressed

SAM_4247.thumb.JPG.18f891b09f1807f11d47aaccdcb4f829.JPG

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ECOSSE1650 said:

Handkerchief size snow flakes falling and lying on all surfaces in Motherwell at 1415.

Yeah, back from Glasgow now and this extended heavy shower is lying well and has made things look a lot more wintry.  I wonder whether this evening will live up to the belated amber warning.

Not letting me upload pics for some reason but there's a good covering here now, maybe an inch in places.The heaviest snow is forecast between about 5pm and 11pm.

Just now, Ross90 said:

Not letting me upload pics for some reason but there's a good covering here now, maybe an inch in places.The heaviest snow is forecast between about 5pm and 11pm.

Check the file size, it needs to be below 7mb :)