Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

There was a nice dawn chorus earlier today. It's funny to think in another four weeks or so I'll be on swallow watch.

• Like 4

Cracking sunny morning with a slight frost lifting now away from the shade. -0.6C

First oyster catcher calling over the fields this morning a sign of spring here but about two weeks later than normal,daffs still only about one inch above soil surface,crocus now out and snowdrops in full flower all running well behind the recent milder winters. Frosty this moning at 0c.

• Like 4

Yes, a lovely tho' chilly day here too.  1.3c/W.   Great to be in the sunshine again!   Other parts of Fife doing well for sun too.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

static_alt_weathercams.php.jpg

• Like 9

Posted (edited)

Stunning day here with crystal clear blue skies and temp up to 6C which is helping to quickly melt the remaining snow - though I do see some convective clouds starting to bubble up which hopefully won't but a shade on things. 

Some heat in that sun now and lovely sitting outside in it with no wind and skylarks singing their heart out nearby - birds definitely getting into the mood of spring here.  Plants also making up for lost time, these crocuses were under 8 inches of snow on Sunday!

Snag_a21960.thumb.png.d39c208d6c80c04b9d337851e83b630e.png

Edited by Quinach
  • Like 7

We know from before the cold spell that a unicorn signifies a severe cold blast.

I wonder what dinosaur means?

Screenshot_20180308-124700.thumb.jpg.5cd1ed92d2455e9c7b1002d2755298e5.jpg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

We know from before the cold spell that a unicorn signifies a severe cold blast.

The MT has gone full circle?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Nessies back, the Scottish version of Groundhog Day, best get down the shops for bread and milk😂

1FF9163A-37AD-4E30-A603-6A42D7A50869.png

Edited by Weather Wonder
Attachment
  • Like 3

Just a shame that the most of the snow here did not melt gradually in weather like today but got washed away in the deluge. Sunny intervals and up to a pleasant 5C after an early frost had dried everything up. 

Would have been even better if the Met O's extended outlook had been correct as forecast a couple of weeks before as below. They predicted the Easterly very well but unfortunately storm Emma upset their medium to long term outlook.

UK Outlook for Sunday 11 Mar 2018 to Sunday 25 Mar 2018:

The start of this period is likely to remain very cold across much of the UK, with bitterly cold easterly winds giving a significant wind chill. There will continue to be a risk of snow across southern, eastern and some central areas, but in the north and west it should be drier. Frosts will continue to be widespread and severe in places. As we head towards the middle of March it may turn more unsettled and less cold with milder and wetter weather spreading up from the south or southwest. This may lead to further significant snow in places although this remains very uncertain. Northern areas may hang on to the colder weather well into March.

• Like 3

Roads round here much the same Catch. Couple of spots on my commute still piled higher than the car for tens of metres. Fields streaky/patchy but high hills still white.

• Like 2

Cracking day, still a little Snaw left.

WP_20180308_17_36_41_Pro.thumb.jpg.b976eeff0f95619d4d22862b3cc01ba7.jpg

• Like 6

Posted (edited)

Sitting watch TV there, started hearing hail hit the window, quite quickly it became quieter, then looked out and could see it was snowing!

Edited by grifter
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Morning all! Cloudy, calm and 1.1c just now. Huge change from last week, although I believe some pockets of Auld Scotia are still being annoyed by snow showers. Walkies yesterday along the shore, herons, oystercatchers, snipe and a wee wren on the way home. More of the same today although this time I will have two daft doggies for company! 

Edited by mistyqueen
  • Like 5

Another lovely blue sky morning here, and no frost. Snaw mounds everywhere now looking very dirty. What is the new on earlier reports of the pest from the west?

Today's shuggee pleasantness rating is 156.9 :laugh:

The only unpleasant thing about todays weather is tomorrow's forecast. Saturday = rain  = just typical! 

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

Daff's enjoying the sun. 7c but still a chill about.

Edited by Cheggers

Temp up to 7.3C, think that is the highest this year - combined with plenty sunshine and light winds a lovely day if you escape the scattered light showers of drizzly rain that are going around here.

Phew, summer has arrived lol

WP_20180309_14_56_28_Pro.thumb.jpg.6209a73220e8c0d7c7af99b32e43c18c.jpg

Posted (edited)

We maxed at 7.0C today after an early frost. Was up in Angus/ East Perthshire visiting this afternoon and was surprised how much snow is lying generally once North of the town. Fields white once out at Birkhill. Here were some locals in Angus doing the shopping at the weekend past the blocked country roads. Made the local press.

IMG_0114.JPG

IMG_0113.JPG

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 7

Fantastic day and slowly drying up after frosty start at 0c. Was speaking to the local Machinery Ring and they are taking  artic lorry loads of hay up from England to the west coast of Scotland. Must be really expensive once it gets here.  If the model thread is correct tonight then more may follow this spring.

The soil is going to take a long time to warm up and therefore grass growth is going to be  very slow.The fields are certainly not green just now.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Fantastic day and slowly drying up after frosty start at 0c. Was speaking to the local Machinery Ring and they are taking  artic lorry loads of hay up from England to the west coast of Scotland. Must be really expensive once it gets here.  If the model thread is correct tonight then more may follow this spring.

The soil is going to take a long time to warm up and therefore grass growth is going to be  very slow.The fields are certainly not green just now.

The ECM is still keen on another beast, on this run the worst misses us but plenty of time for another direct hit:

9MarECM192.thumb.jpg.9c8d5d24a002ba5a10992dd8bfa72d4c.jpg9MarECM192850.thumb.jpg.363cd00b1cb15d77cec2e1a2782711c4.jpg

When I read about the reality being faced by you and your fellow farmers I feel my excitement at the prospect of snow being watered down. Maybe time for spring sun and some days of 10-15C for a few weeks?

• Like 5