Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

Snawshields Absolutimus Intactimus! Not that I was expecting anything else. But the wind and cauld are not welcome and we have to head out later this morning to check out the empty shelves at the local Co-op. Himself has also promised to buy me lunch so I'm not passing up that chance! Keep the piccies coming, they're brilliant! Currently -3.7c, and wind chill -7c. Whaur's  ma thermals? :cold:

• Like 1

Looking ahead to Sunday (i know!) as the milder air pushed north, we could be caught by a nice little event as it fights against the colder air

h850t850eu.png

I fear for the bench.

2 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

I think the media circus have over hyped this cold spell,,,Ive seen more snow in Edinburgh from a Westerly 😁

That memory must put your age at 93. :D

• Like 1

It's nuking it here and Moffat Academy is closed today too. I was supposed to be working at Chesser in Edinburgh but despite winter tyres on the van, I'm giving it a miss. Bashing through snowdrifts on the way out or the way back anywhere in the 20 miles without mobile phone signal between the Beeftub and Broughton is probably not a great idea.

I'm actually really surprised by the snowfall totals here so far because the hills to our east normally suck up most of the moisture when it comes from that direction, generally leaving us with bright but braw days. Radar suggests more to come :)

• Like 5

Beautiful morning here :)

91421A76-15F6-499B-99C4-FB244998A59D.thumb.jpeg.594eec7a4eef4451f414232e4ed2ff65.jpeg

86920740-D6B4-45C4-93B2-D0BA12D84268.thumb.jpeg.d5e5aae67ff335d1f3d49de5cc941d34.jpeg

Edited by Stormeh
  • Like 5

5 minutes ago, Paul Martin said:

Aye. I don't grudge it to anyone here either. Frustration on my part, and part of that is my inability to understand why there's a (relatively) effective snow shield here so close to the north sea action, whilst areas far west of here get hammered. I understand some of why that happens but the basic recipe of uppers, dew-points, convection, flow appears to be in place here so I'm not getting my head around whats going on. And hey someone's got to be the grump on here right ! :pardon:

I'm sure it's to do with the northerly element in the wind?   You can see the thinning of the showers in the sea opposite Fife on the radar.  Until that shifts round a bit to full easterly,  then what we've got is what we'll continue to get.   (and I'm never wrong):laugh:

• Like 2

Full on whiteout

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GraemeB said:

Streamer....

streamer.png

Bugger is just too far north of here.  Enjoy your pasting!

3 minutes ago, GraemeB said:

Streamer....

streamer.png

YOU CAN STREAMER OFF!   Lochgelly is shining like a beacon there!:laugh:

Edited by Blitzen

Must have around 12 cm here. It's really difficult to tell as drifting is getting serious.

Looks like I'm aboot tae be streamed!

If you don't hear from me; come with avalanche search poles.

Edit.  Quick gairdin shot while I can still get oot the door.

streamer.png

IMG-20180228-WA0003.jpeg

Edited by scottish skier
  • Like 6

3 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

yOU CAN STREAMER OFF!   Lochgelly is shining like a beacon there!:laugh:

It's missed me anaw.

:nonono:

4 minutes ago, GraemeB said:

Streamer....

streamer.png

The full band is moving due west by the looks of it rather than in the direction the 'streamer' is pointing. Really intense looking on the radar 

1 minute ago, Blitzen said:

yOU CAN STREAMER OFF!   Lochgelly is shining like a beacon there!:laugh:

Yep, 10-15 miles further north and we would be mullered, but it seems we are destined to watch it slide south of us.

• Like 1

Absolutely brutal wind chill. Snow depths between 4-6cm.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, GraemeB said:

Streamer....

streamer.png

Might just make it into the sweet spot

• Like 1

The South West tip of that streamer is passing through just now.  Bright sky and heavy drifting snow here.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

I'm sure it's to do with the northerly element in the wind?   You can see the thinning of the showers in the sea opposite Fife on the radar.  Until that shifts round a bit to full easterly,  then what we've got is what we'll continue to get.   (and I'm never wrong):laugh:

Maybe but just north of east is what usually works best here in multiple previous setups. Basically I'm toys oot the pram just now, best thing is to go for a walk in what is currently a beautiful snowy day here (just not remotely snowy enough though!)

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Cheggers said:

Might just make it into the sweet spot

Just need a slight puff of wind to shift it a bit more to the north and we're good to go,.

• Like 1

Well.... the kids have been out with the 30cm Helix and we have an upgrade of sorts..... 5cm on the grass :yahoo:

• Like 6

Oh I'm watching that streamer and willing it towards me! Got a couple of very impacted centimetres here but nothing major. The noise through the night was proper 'Day After Tomorrow' stuff! What a racket. 

It is the nature of these events (just as with lake-effect in the States and Canada) that when streamers set up some areas get pasted while others miss out. Not much we can do about that!

However subtle changes in wind direction can lead to a redistribution of showers so just because you're not seeing anything yet...that may change as the day goes on!

• Like 2