Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion - 16/01/2018 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
6 minutes ago, GraemeB said:

Yep - agree with that. 

Having said that, MetO just went yellow for us...

Yeah - just seen that.

Looking really good at the moment - winds look strong also, rush hour looks like fun currently.

Lets hope it’s close to what Tuesday produced! Would be great to see the old Thundersnow again! 

B4DE7D3C-50D4-4BC6-8537-90A12BA4BFEE.png

8DF24A66-8F19-4D71-87A6-7C83FC1092DA.png

6A50CC04-57E6-4FC8-9BB7-88C6822BC7D9.png

C1605A75-D9B0-4B06-9688-E0BF19AE8FB4.png

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

And here's a wee drum roll...I live to the north-east of Greenlaw out in the countryside :rofl:  so add another couple of miles. @mardatha should get a few showers at Heriot, but they start to die between her and me normally.

Aye ok then, you're fuked ??

just saw the warnings have came out, I'll still keep on the lines that I was a few days ago. 

I said it prior to Monday/Tuesday's event that it warranted an amber warning and it came far too late. 

And I've said since the other day that this event into tomorrow will merit an amber warning in places - whether the met go with that or not remains to be seen. 

Surely you cannot be forecasting up to 3 inches widely at low levels, 8 inches on some higher ground and up to a foot over the highest parts without an amber warning. I don't think they have much choice considering the monstrosity on the M74 the other night and the fact that it will be in the firing line for another pumping. 

Edited by Ruzzi

Posted

Not expecting anything other than some light showers passing through for the next few days. As has been mentioned it doesn't look as potent as earlier this week and I expect my sheltered position to come into play. Sunday has potential but at the minute it's looking like a snowfall to rain event and I have no real interest in those! If the GFS 6z is correct I'd need to stay up half the night to see snow falling as it has it back to heavy rain by breakfast. 

Edited by 101_North

Posted

Can someone help me cause I think I'm being stupid, but how do you see the matrix for the warnings issued by the met? 

Posted
9 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

Can someone help me cause I think I'm being stupid, but how do you see the matrix for the warnings issued by the met? 

On the app - I've looked and it doesn't appear to be available. On the full site (not the mobile site) you should be able to click 'further details' and then scroll down. Assuming I've understood your question :)

Edited by 101_North
  • Thanks 1

Posted

@snowy owl If you are ordering an easterly make sure it's a very cold one! Sub -10 850s please! :D

So more snow on the way for our friends out west and north....at low levels I wouldn't expect anything to accumulate until after 6pm when colder air moves in...after around Midnight there may even be the opportunity for accumulation for those on the immediate west coast (if I'm reading the charts correctly!).

I would take issue with the warning area - I reckon west Fife should be included (and the text forecast reflects this)...but we'll see. 

As for me....let's face it...nae chance, the snow drought will continue. I'm busy deciding where to go for a snowy walk on Saturday before the thaw sets in on Sunday! 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies
23 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

image.thumb.png.df965035cf85cd575388f289e4d080a4.png

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings#?date=2018-01-18

Full methodology here   https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/guide/weather/severe-weather-advice

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Look at the warning then go to further details bit.

• Thanks 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Low Impact of 20-30cm of snow on the m74, mate and M77. :rofl: 

Posted

I was looking at the mobile site rather than the main site, that was the issue. Thanks for the help. 

Its changed the matrix to now have the second highest impact but brought the likelihood down a peg so it's still in the yellow warning category 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales, Hot & Sunny or Cold & Sunny!
1 hour ago, Ruzzi said:

Aye ok then, you're fuked ??

just saw the warnings have came out, I'll still keep on the lines that I was a few days ago. 

I said it prior to Monday/Tuesday's event that it warranted an amber warning and it came far too late. 

And I've said since the other day that this event into tomorrow will merit an amber warning in places - whether the met go with that or not remains to be seen. 

Surely you cannot be forecasting up to 3 inches widely at low levels, 8 inches on some higher ground and up to a foot over the highest parts without an amber warning. I don't think they have much choice considering the monstrosity on the M74 the other night and the fact that it will be in the firing line for another pumping. 

Ruzzi I think you are spot on.

It looks like being a rinse and repeat of Tuesday for pretty much the same areas as then. (showers may not push as far East though) 

I see good old Sean Batty is ramping it up - he is expecting travel disruption tomorow for West/Central Scotland. (As per screenshot attached from Twitter)

My sincere apologies for the fact I keep posting these Metoffice screenshots for my own location but it does look like another amazing day is in store for here and many other members! :yahoo:

9A67F74A-CD65-49B9-97B3-57FC21F18BE4.png

F38565E0-A5A6-4989-9ED8-6ABE1EE8DDFB.png

8B130CF1-0E71-48F7-8DCC-3F5C15A0BAD5.png

D9FDD5DA-C3AB-44EA-A1C5-82C0B9E7AD94.png

175B2EB6-29E1-4F7A-BBA0-5981FF703488.png

F450008B-E0DE-4237-B081-A6AF487BDCF2.png

Edited by Mr Frost

Posted

Currently snowing at sea level in Greenock.

Alternating between sleet and wet snow but wasn't expecting to see that so low down today.

Edited by JamesM
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

wind strengthens later tonight so some further east may get lucky but its our west chums getting the fillet steak serving again...... last few years has certainly seen west fair better for snow than years gone by.... not all west of course.... yes aggy i mean you :sorry:

• Like 2

Posted

36 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Look at the precip accumulation charts up to 6am on Saturday!! If you're at moderate altitude (150m+) then expect this to be snow...

Screenshot_20180118-120452.thumb.jpg.4409d5303b43a672af3640976f6d3f67.jpg

Don't be using the M74 or M77 unless you have a supply of fuel, food and warm clothing...

Add the M-Eight to that too, tomorrow morning up to lunchtime if the Euro4 is correct there's 20cm of snow for @Ruzzi and the area around Harthill.

Catch, in your experience how accurate is the Euro 4? Just asking as I've to travel down the 74 first thing tomorrow, get on at Abington off at Annan. Then back again later in afternoon.

Edited by Mark H

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

Heavy snow shower passing through now 

Posted
15 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

They've done well since I moved east and the east has been poor since 2013.

I’ve heard that @Norrance has started a petition to have me removed from Dundee and sent back to Crail. :D

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Heavy snow in Glasgow. Started off as rain but now appears to be proper sane.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero

I've just been reading the news item in the Courier about tomorrow's snow. It amuses me to imagine them writing their articles from our happy, snow-obsessed perspective rather than the fear and loathing that they seem obligated to pander to......in which case the piece, with a few key words changed, would read like this:

"Dundee, which has once again missed out on the best of the snowy conditions, is not within Friday’s warning area; however much of Perthshire and Fife could strike lucky. The best of the snow showers will be in the north-west of Scotland, with hail and sleet more likely near “windward coasts”.

The original article is at: https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/dundee/582238/travel-warning-snow-warning-extended-tayside-fife/

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It's usually pretty decent. I use it for my forecasts for my Facebook weather page for the Borders. 

Thanks buddy. Guess I'll have to try and change my route, hope my boss understands, if not I'll just blame you. ???