Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion Thread 15/1/2018 onwards

Deep Snow please

Posted

its been mainly snow here from mid afternoon, mixed with hail at times - my altitude has actually ensured i have a full covering.

The trough dropping down will be interesting, hopefully a few cm before dawn..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

not organised or heavy enough

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Full cover here

20180116_212654.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy snow/ heatwaves
1 minute ago, inghams85 said:

The latest euro4 4 is massive push north and follows the GFS18z I'm afraid. A trend develdeveloping

Fully expected that...this region is genuinely cursed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
5 minutes ago, inghams85 said:

The latest euro4 4 is massive push north and follows the GFS18z I'm afraid. A trend develdeveloping

One run does not a trend make.. I really don't know why people get so dramatic over one run, or focus on one model while ignoring the others. 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, cheese said:

One run does not a trend make.. I really don't know why people get so dramatic over one run, or focus on one model while ignoring the others. 

2 runs,,gfs 18z is also north....it aint gonna happen

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, chicken soup said:

2 runs,,gfs 18z is also north....it aint gonna happen

And..? Other models exist as well, believe it or not. Nothing special about the GFS. Other high-res models updated tonight and showed the low further south, so to say it isn't going to happen because of two models alone is very silly indeed.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

turning to snow now, still too light though

Posted
4 minutes ago, cheese said:

And..? Other models exist as well, believe it or not. Nothing special about the GFS. Other high-res models updated tonight and showed the low further south, so to say it isn't going to happen because of two models alone is very silly indeed.

Your entitled to your opinion but years of constant letdowns as well as the new trend north says to me this wont happen...I would love to be wrong though.

Edited by chicken soup
  • Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

And sadly, unless sea ice in the Arctic recovers and global warming lessens then we probably will never get a cold set up which will deliver uppers of -15 or below ever again really as the PV is far too weak and fragmented these days. Although that said, i think February in the 2011/12 season had a massively deep cold pool over the continent which nearly headed our way but sadly did'nt. Unfortunately, Western Russia these days during the winter months tend to be dominated by high pressure rather than a chunk of PV dropping there so whilst that remains to be the case, a beast from the east will not happen.

Absolute rubbish really regardless of ones view on whether man can influence climate by that much. We endured warming durning the Middle Ages and during Roman Times, so saying that our climate is altered permanently is poppycock really. Climate is never Linear.

Sorry for the rant, its been a long day.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Hocus Pocus said:

Absolute rubbish really regardless of ones view on whether man can influence climate by that much. We endured warming durning the Middle Ages and during Roman Times, so saying that our climate is altered permanently is poppycock really. Climate is never Linear.

Lets lay the bare facts HP, the PV is alot weaker these days, the sea ice is at record lows and because of all this, you see its very hard even for Scandinavia to experience proper deep cold at times nevermind the UK, its why these transient events are becoming more common.

November saw a high number of Northerlies and all of them were transient events in terms of snowfall because the cold uppers were moderated because of the lack of PV in the Arctic during the Autumn months.

Unless sea ice cover recovers during the Autumn months and the PV properly develops over the Arctic as a result then its going to be a struggle I fear to maintain significant cold, if predictions of an ice free Arctic come true, which I think it will, then its going to be harder than it is now because the PV will be even slower to form in the Autumn months and the only PV that will develop will be a natural PV that forms over the Canadian and Russian landmasses.

There is no coincidence why Svalbard's winter climate has altered rapidly in the last 10-15 years either!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days
1 hour ago, JeffC said:

No disrespect but why is 2-4" of snow worthy of an Amber warning?

Sorry maybe I've got a skewed view but why is that such a biggy? Hells bells that was a shower in 1947 or 1963!! 

Bunch of bloody wooses whoever decides this!

Yes they give Amber warnings for 5-10cms these days. 

Posted

proper fluffy snow, cant believe my eyes!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Posted

heavy too woooohooooo baby, snow day and sledging tomoz

• Like 2

Posted

just turned back to sleet:nonono:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Crisp Cold Days
23 minutes ago, Hocus Pocus said:

HP I couldn't agree more the earth goes through cycles. I think it's all about the tilt of the earth but now we are going into something that's a much bigger time frame wise in the evolution of the world and its atmosphere. For the winters to happen again like the 40s & 60s can and will happen if all conditions are right we are still breaking records set from years ago since records began for coldest nights & highest Snowfall all over the world. And we will continue to do so. It's the fact we are a small island placed where we are that we need all things to come into play perfectly to create the perfect winter. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Oh my god that wind is scary..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
12 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

Oh my god that wind is scary..

Just tryed to sleep...couldn’t...savage gusts...wasn’t expecting this. 

Edited by Chris.R

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow,snow!! Ooh and sunny,warm days!!!

These gusts are really quite scary!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frost, storms
8 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Just tryed to sleep...couldn’t...savage gusts...wasn’t expecting this. 

Same here Chris