Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Discussion Thread 15/1/2018 onwards

Deep Snow please

Posted
3 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

God knows, moan, moan and bloody moan about something they can't control.

Get a new hobby if people are just going to come on here and whinge, it's not worth it! Do something useful with your lives! 

Oh come on most of here are on here to discuss and chase after snow events, it's only natural to be a bit miffed at what could be another let-down,

Anyway as I type this the small amount of precip coming through is readily turning to snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
2 minutes ago, WillinGlossop said:

I’ve got woodburner lit, pork marinating, still slushy out....last shower was heavy snow, large flakes... hoping for more frequent showers later on.... we shall see....

Too much detail with the pork mate.

Posted

Heard thunder once then a hail shower which left a covering which is melting 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer Sunshine / Winter Snow
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Fingers crossed for later guys,

For me its an utter complete bust.

Enjoy.

6pm until midnight tonight looks the most promising period for both sides of the Pennines.  I am hoping for a covering even at my lowly altitude in South Yorks.  If you have seen nothing in the way of snowfall and no sign of any settling by say around 8pm / 9pm then you will be able to call it a bust?

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Deep Snow please said:

While we're waiting for it to actual materialise, what's everyone's favourite type of snow? The wet stuff, dry powdery stuff?

Any will do even canned

Posted

Problem I have noticed with this region in some convective events is that unlike anywhere else, the irish sea is only a small track and coupled with the isle of Man in the middle of it, instead getting large clumps of shower after shower, you get these small localised cells which don't tend to last long and you could be waiting in a large gap for another shower to come through.

From my expeience on living on the east coast, the difference is there I feel. 

Can understand some people's frustrations but it starting to get a bit tiredsome seeing the mood swings in this thread and how people are writing things off and then getting quite positive again and so on.

Posted

Good news from the updated ICON boys and girls! It is correcting tomorrow's low south so our chances for snow are up!

https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/icone_cartes.php?&ech=33&mode=0&map=0&archive=0 

Edited by karyo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Sleety showers - nothing much going on. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Still light rain showers here.

Posted

We should all know (if we've lived around here long enough) whether or not showers will pass over ......... (insert location here)   there's no point moaning its dry if you are in a location not exposed to the w/nw winds.  From an IMBY point of view, the wind direction at the moment is perfect for the showers its just not cold enough for snow.  Nothing new there, no toys being thrown - you get used to it. Hopefully if the showers carry on - and there is nothing suggesting they won't - it may be cold enough for something a little more wintry here as the day goes on.    

Posted

Just now, karyo said:

Good news from the updated ICON boys and girls! It is correcting tomorrow's low south so our chances for sno are up!

That would make this an absolute dreamer of a spell if it goes far enough south. 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Astral Goat Juice said:

Maybe you can post this again in another half an hour just to remind us. 

:crazy::D

That made me LOL..

OK OK, im off to make tea now...:D

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

:crazy::D

That made me LOL..

OK OK, im off to make tea now...:D

Arctic roll for pudding 

Posted

That was a decent shower that passed through, left a thin covering. Was coming in horizontally on a stiff wind, if only yesterday's forecast was right we'd have some big drifts now.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

Problem I have noticed with this region in some convective events is that unlike anywhere else, the irish sea is only a small track and coupled with the isle of Man in the middle of it, instead getting large clumps of shower after shower, you get these small localised cells which don't tend to last long and you could be waiting in a large gap for another shower to come through.

From my expeience on living on the east coast, the difference is there I feel. 

Can understand some people's frustrations but it starting to get a bit tiredsome seeing the mood swings in this thread and how people are writing things off and then getting quite positive again and so on.

Totally agree with you on this Geordiesnow (vaguelly remember you posting in the NE thread when I used to live there too) - when you got a shower pattern form in the North Sea, you knew there'd be more come in in this style of event, whereas here you get those wider gaps. I might move back over there one day - but I've decided I'm moving to Tow Law/Consett if I do :D

Posted
5 minutes ago, karyo said:

Good news from the updated ICON boys and girls! It is correcting tomorrow's low south so our chances for snow are up!

https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/icone_cartes.php?&ech=33&mode=0&map=0&archive=0 

It certainly is   going by the 850  its quite a bit further south since its last run,  You guys could be in the game.  Good Luck

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold

Only Rain/Sleet/Hail/Graupel  not seen a proper snow flake yet here today, typical winter weather .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I stand by what I said before. Maybe more like 5–6 pm now. 

• Like 1