Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - mid-winter

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in here & please keep it friendly!

For more general chat and banter, moans and ramps, please head to the banter thread.
For general weather chat, please go to the regional threads.

Notice a problem with a post? Please hit the report button.
Thank you!

View the latest forecast models in the Netweather DataCentre

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Yet again the deep cold 850s head south into eastern europe be it day ten ete.still good looking nhp and pv destroyed! !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
6 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Not so sure, think with the Azores High lurking with intent, we need to look west again after 10 days.  If we can take the Azores High out of the equation then there is some potential...

Tbf, i like the thought of the AZHP, IN the equastion at this point of possibilities!!..

As russian warmth good easily exact with az-high..and again the form feed would be siberian, element inflow..

Its a million miles away as it stands.. but mass potential quite a bit before that.  

However- evolutions are of much to ponder over!..and for all the correct reasons...if cold/winter weather is your forte..

Edited by tight isobar

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.

We're now seeing some GFS runs in which the tropospheric wave action and stratospheric warming are making for a pleasingly disorganised polar vortex, but the insistence of the model in finding further bouts of Nina-like forcing instead of taking GLAAM on an upward trend is resulting in the subtropical ridges attempting to build into places like Europe when, if the anticipated GLAAM rise does kick in, they should go elsewhere.

Hopefully we're barking up the right tree and GFS the wrong one. The tropical signal propagation is still uncertain enough to keep me from becoming complacent. 

p.s. as we see in offerman's post just now, it is amusing how a certain word for the rear gets turned into 'weeble' :laugh:

Edited by Singularity
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
6 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Not so sure, think with the Azores High lurking with intent, we need to look west again after 10 days.  If we can take the Azores High out of the equation then there is some potential...

Absoloutely spot on post. I have been banging on about this Azores high problem for ages. 

Unless that moves south or westward it is so strong a feature nothing will happen from the East or North. Attacks from the North are feable when up against Azores high. It’s a pain in the weeble really apart from summer of course when we want it:-) 

at best sny attacks will be slanted zonal or northwesterlies which could produce some wet white stuff . 

Posted

ECM clusters: Once again, the op run cluster is the weakest/latest on mid-Atlantic height rises around 19th January. A short Nly/NWly still a reasonable bet on the other clusters.

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2018011100_204.

Still lacking a clear way forward after D10.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Singularity said:

We're now seeing some GFS runs in which the tropospheric wave action and stratospheric warming are making for a pleasingly disorganised polar vortex, but the insistence of the model in finding further bouts of Nina-like forcing instead of taking GLAAM on an upward trend is resulting in the subtropical ridges attempting to build into places like Europe when, if the anticipated GLAAM rise does kick in, they should go elsewhere.

Hopefully we're barking up the right tree and GFS the wrong one. The tropical signal propagation is still uncertain enough to keep me from becoming complacent. 

Do you have any idea why BOM and NOAA have such a different observed mjo over the recent months? 

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/mjo/

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/CLIVAR/clivar_wh.shtml

9 minutes ago, offerman said:

Absoloutely spot on post. I have been banging on about this Azores high problem for ages. 

Unless that moves south or westward it is so strong a feature nothing will happen from the East or North. Attacks from the North are feable when up against Azores high. It’s a pain in the weeble really apart from summer of course when we want it:-) 

at best sny attacks will be slanted zonal or northwesterlies which could produce some wet white stuff . 

Yes indeed let's hope that Azores high can stay close by through June, July & August or is that going to be the time it'll be nowhere near us to allow another cool, wet Summer? Lol 

Posted
22 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Don't make me dig out the post pointing out the permanence of the Azores high and how it has no bearing on cold spells!

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, TEITS said:

Looking at the models for snowfall is pointless and I shall explain why.

At the moment the max temps during this oncoming cold W/WNW,ly look to be between 2-5C with mins around -1C to 1C. However this doesn't tell the whole story because a cluster of heavy showers is likely to drop the temp. So for low lying areas whether you see snow or rain could depend on timing and intensity of showers. For example a light shower during the day may only bring rain. If however an organised band of heavy showers moved into say NW Wales and extended into the midlands during the overnight period then this could give some accumlations of snow.

Currently the models are no use for this level of detail at the moment and you're going to be better off viewing models such as the Euro 4 and even at +48 will be subject to change.

Beyond this and im clueless at the moment. The difference between the 0Z & 06Z GFS FI clearly shows this and so does comparing the 0Z ECM with last nights. The combination of the blocking to the NE and N forcing the trough SE is likely to cause huge problems. I am fairly confident that the W,ly will veer towards a NW/N,ly as the trough begins to sink S. My confusion is what happens beyond this?

would have thought you'd have the crystal ball out for beyond current modelling, come on Teits, your the master

Posted
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

If only we could get an anomoly chart like this in January .....

E9DB9381-3204-420E-8E6F-107FB4439C70.thumb.jpeg.e0f8ebf876a6cf47fd51cd784c31fffb.jpeg

When is this chart for?

Posted
1 minute ago, karyo said:

When is this chart for?

BA was being cheeky, you can't see the date but I think that's for next week.

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

If only we could get an anomoly chart like this in January .....

E9DB9381-3204-420E-8E6F-107FB4439C70.thumb.jpeg.e0f8ebf876a6cf47fd51cd784c31fffb.jpeg

Even that anomaly will most probably bring warm air from the mediterranean knowing our luck mate!!

Posted
11 minutes ago, TEITS said:

Looking at the models for snowfall is pointless and I shall explain why.

At the moment the max temps during this oncoming cold W/WNW,ly look to be between 2-5C with mins around -1C to 1C. However this doesn't tell the whole story because a cluster of heavy showers is likely to drop the temp. So for low lying areas whether you see snow or rain could depend on timing and intensity of showers. For example a light shower during the day may only bring rain. If however an organised band of heavy showers moved into say NW Wales and extended into the midlands during the overnight period then this could give some accumlations of snow.

Currently the models are no use for this level of detail at the moment and you're going to be better off viewing models such as the Euro 4 and even at +48 will be subject to change.

Agreed! In marginal situations intensity is key! A few weeks back I had a day of frequent showers of rain/sleet/hail and snow on the nearby hills. A more organised afternoon band turned everything white for a couple of hours. Further showers that followed in the evening were mostly of rain as they were a lot lighter. This event happened with uppers around -6.

Posted
3 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

THAT CHART IS TODAY’S PEOPLE !!

Surely we are the unluckiest country in the world for wintry conditions !!

Oh!

Yes bad luck that there was no cold air to the east to tap into but its always the same. When theres lots of cold air there the pattern won't allow that west and when the flow manages to come in from the east se theres no cold air.

However given some of the horror weather we've seen globally the UK at least doesn't have to contend  with that.

• Like 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

Do you have any idea why BOM and NOAA have such a different observed mjo over the recent months? 

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/mjo/

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/CLIVAR/clivar_wh.shtml

When I visit the BOM site and choose anything other than Jan-Mar last year for the phase plots, I get blank diagrams. True, that does make for a different picture... :D
Are you referring to one of the other plots on the BOM site?

Posted
3 minutes ago, Singularity said:

When I visit the BOM site and choose anything other than Jan-Mar last year for the phase plots, I get blank diagrams. True, that does make for a different picture... :D
Are you referring to one of the other plots on the BOM site?

rmm.phase.Last40days.gif

This one, it's not blank for me, all points are about - 0.5 on the rmm1 axis (everything is shifted left( or west?)) 

Posted
21 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Oh!

Yes bad luck that there was no cold air to the east to tap into but its always the same. When theres lots of cold air there the pattern won't allow that west and when the flow manages to come in from the east se theres no cold air.

However given some of the horror weather we've seen globally the UK at least doesn't have to contend  with that.

Day three is even worse 

1D9772DB-CC35-4606-B659-89783BA1D9FB.thumb.jpeg.c608b9780746e496acf167915f90d121.jpeg

Posted
2 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

rmm.phase.Last40days.gif

This one, it's not blank for me, all points are about - 0.5 on the rmm1 axis (everything is shifted left( or west?)) 

Looks like a case of not pressing any buttons for me; with a refresh I then get to see it :)

Interesting difference given both use the Wheeler and Hendon RMM methodology... either it's a systematic error by one of the sites, or one version has more updated methodology than the other. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

A wet and windy week for majority of uk next week is my interpretation ......

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
45 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

THAT CHART IS TODAY’S PEOPLE !!

Surely we are the unluckiest country in the world for wintry conditions !!

YES, but that's why I hate anomaly charts for specific dates on op runs, they just don't tell the story, give me generic charts any day, anoms ok(ish) for monthlies and weeklies and perhaps ensemble means.

• Like 1