Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Tour 1 2018

sh.whyman

Posted

Hi, who will be the driver for tour 1 and when is it best to book flights? Flying from London! And when will we receive the last part of the info and need to pay the balance? This is my first tour, so very exited!! 

Posted

Hi Becca

There are 3 Chase Vehicles on Tour 1 and so there will be 3 Chase Drivers. Richard who has been chasing since 2010, and also Jock a mad Australian who has been chasing for nearly 20 years. Booking flights options is probably best answered by others on here and I am sure they will post with what flights they have got. Others over the years have flown in a day earlier than the travel day and that way they get acclimatised to the Jet-Lag.

The balance is sorted by the other Paul who owns Netweather (Paul Michaelwaite) so might be an idea to Email him or Personal Message him on here for that info.

The actual Info packs get sent out to you about 2 weeks before you come on the trip, but again any questions on what clothes to bring etc then just ask away

Cheers

Paul

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Paul Sherman said:

Hi Becca

There are 3 Chase Vehicles on Tour 1 and so there will be 3 Chase Drivers. Richard who has been chasing since 2010, and also Jock a mad Australian who has been chasing for nearly 20 years. Booking flights options is probably best answered by others on here and I am sure they will post with what flights they have got. Others over the years have flown in a day earlier than the travel day and that way they get acclimatised to the Jet-Lag.

The balance is sorted by the other Paul who owns Netweather (Paul Michaelwaite) so might be an idea to Email him or Personal Message him on here for that info.

The actual Info packs get sent out to you about 2 weeks before you come on the trip, but again any questions on what clothes to bring etc then just ask away

Cheers

Paul

Thankyou very much for all the info ☺

Posted

For those of you on Tour 1 - Some pictures from the last few years to get you in the mood. This Tour is usually centred around the Southern Plains with the Jet being so far south, but it is not uncommon to venture as far north as Nebraska or an early season Colorado Chase on this tour as well.

IMG_0256.thumb.JPG.e8931bbe3c18465d98a240468661a784.JPG - Kansas Classic Supercell that produced an EF1 Tornado - 10th May 2014

IMG_1333.thumb.JPG.3d072e2d17569ddb30e2a5cf6e2a8603.JPG - Texas HP Supercell that produced an EF0 Tornado near Big Spring - 18th May 2015

IMG_2443.thumb.JPG.69af3d80ccb6c3422153effbe9a13232.JPG - Colorado Supercell that produced an EF2 Tornado at Wray - 07th May 2016

IMG_2602.thumb.JPG.f4de6bcd53984086969a71155b72382a.JPG - Oklahoma Cyclic Supercell that produced 4 Tornadoes including this EF4 near Wynnewood - 09th May 2016

IMG_0623.thumb.JPG.e8c1eff3a90cbfb29380d887b86ea9f3.JPG - Some Mammatus Art in the Texas Panhandle in mid may 2017 - This Tour did have 1 High Risk and 2 Moderates though.

So once again much like Tours 2 and 3 you really can get anywhere on Tour 1 from far west Texas to the High Plains of Colorado.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
42 minutes ago, Becca Start said:

Need some advice on flights. Flights to london  are only in the evening or over night. So am I best to stay one more day and travel home on the 20th? And not risk it for the 19th?

Hello Becca,

The notes in the guide say....

'We also recommend that your homebound flight is booked to depart from mid-afternoon onwards.'

Nick L also confirmed this when I asked on a thread somewhere on here.

With that in mind, I'm on BA direct to LHR, departing at 18:15hr on the 19th.

I'm flying out there on the day before the tour starts.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
1 hour ago, Becca Start said:

Need some advice on flights. Flights to london  are only in the evening or over night. So am I best to stay one more day and travel home on the 20th? And not risk it for the 19th?

I don't think I've known anyone fly home the day after other than to stay a bit longer and do touristy things. No need to otherwise :)

As jtay says, arriving the day before is advisable for 2 reasons. Firstly, if weather permits, there's the possibility of a bonus chase on arrival day. Secondly, if there isn't a chase you have a day to recover from the jetlag and lounge around the pool!

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1

On 2/1/2018 at 09:53, Becca Start said:

I'm flying back on the 19th: BA0192 to LHR departing at 18:00.

And I'll be landing into DFW on the 7th. I'll have been in the country since the 4th though, so hopefully I'll be over the jet lag by then... 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Posted
6 hours ago, sh.whyman said:

Exactly 10 weeks until I fly out! :) Can't wait for some proper weather; I'm sick of this snow, and I haven't even seen any yet.

Never one to wish it away, but I'm looking forward to both. Next week+ and the US.

Great start to the year. 

Posted

Hi everyone!

I'm going to be on Tour 1 too, can't wait! Unfortunately already booked my flights to land on the 8th so hopefully the jet lag won't be too bad. Flying back to Heathrow at 18:00 19th same as some of you :)

Sarah

• Thanks 1

Posted
On 2/25/2018 at 21:08, Sarah-j said:

Hi everyone!

I'm going to be on Tour 1 too, can't wait! Unfortunately already booked my flights to land on the 8th so hopefully the jet lag won't be too bad. Flying back to Heathrow at 18:00 19th same as some of you :)

Sarah

Hi Sarah

This post must have got missed with all the snow mayhem on the forum. Welcome to Netweather and see you on Tour 1, not long now and those 9 weeks will fly by!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

starting to get all my gear together, does anyone have any recommendations for tripods? I've found one which is light weight and has clip legs locks instead of screw ones for speed. 

3 hours ago, Becca Start said:

starting to get all my gear together, does anyone have any recommendations for tripods? I've found one which is light weight and has clip legs locks instead of screw ones for speed. 

I use the Manfrotto "190go!". It's not the lightest, but it is very study. This is definitely worth bearing in mind because it can get pretty windy. Manfrotto have some smaller and lighter travel tripods too, if I recall correctly. And I believe they currently have a sale on :wink:

I've never found the screw ones a problem, but I guess whichever you find easier is the way to go.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted

Hi there everyone as this is also my first post on the forum.

I will be also on Tour 1, arriving on the 8th with BA0193, landing at 15:25 and departing on the 19th with BA1521 at 19.00.

Quite a last minute decision but I am confident that mid-May will be a great time to chase.

• Like 1

Posted

Not Long Now Tour 1 - Just over 4 weeks to go 

Cannot wait to see those Supercells again!