Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - into 2018

Paul

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

GEM goes on to fill the Atlantic troughing, to sort of save the run so that all is not lost...

All very messy though

gem-0-174.png?00

gem-0-186.png?00

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
3 minutes ago, Steve Murr said:

Yeah a slide 

UKMO 144 very very similar to ECM 144 last night

8EEF42E4-E23E-4F9B-8243-B4BDE03A8CCC.thumb.png.a994e6378b5977ffc81e1df6baf8b7f1.png

UKMO day 6 still looks decent Steve

The issue is, even with the UKMO the decent uppers are well out E...and the modelling at present isn't showing an easy way to get them to our shores. No point in having a battle ground scenario with no cold uppers/associated low dew points to interact with any precipitation.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted
2 minutes ago, booferking said:

Is it just me but have the models not moved more towards gfs highs all very flabby not rebust colder uppers looks further away than ever?

Gem especially so later on.

Screenshot_20180104-040943.png

Screenshot_20180104-040907.png

Screenshot_20180104-042013.png

Screenshot_20180104-042022.png

It looks that way to me 

Posted
1 minute ago, booferking said:

Is it just me but have the models not moved more towards gfs highs all very flabby not rebust colder uppers looks further away than ever?

No it's not just you. The GEM has taken a shift towards the GFS and the GFS has inched towards the Euros. As I was saying last night, a meet in the middle sort of setup was always likely. No one model is at fault, they all initially either over inflated the HP or tanked it SE too fast ala GFS.

As I was saying, the issue is now that the halfway house may not be enough to land us what we want from all of this. The GEM run highlights perfectly the sort of no mans land I referred to last night.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: mediterranean summer
3 minutes ago, booferking said:

it looks like the GFS was not far of the mark al along after the name calling it has got for the past 3 days its turning more into a non event sadly

Posted

Was hoping for a good start today with regard sustained cold, not looking too good so far ,Uppers also less cold this morning. ECM to go so hopefully that is good.

quite a long battleground period though, so maybe that will bring some snow for some.

Edited by Ali1977

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

If anyone saw my post last night comparing 12z runs over 24h then it was apparent the GEM, UKMO and ECM all took steps backward away from a classic Easterly draw.

In reality all models are on the move to a point of convergence which is probably not a million miles from UKMO 00z

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, The Eagle said:

ICOOPEU00_168_1.png

I reckon GME should take the place of the GEM as the world's foremost model.

Don't worry, I'm sure we'll be hearing all about the merits of the ICON as the day wears on :D

Posted
Just now, Mucka said:

If anyone saw my post last night comparing 12z runs over 24h then it was apparent the GEM, UKMO and ECM all took steps backward away from a classic Easterly draw.

In reality all models are on the move to a point of convergence which is probably not a million miles from UKMO 00z

Sadly, I expect the UKMO may even be a tad optimistic but we'll see. Day 6 UKMO doesn't look all that bad.

Posted

I see the manic depressives are up early!!

Lets see what EC comes up with before the crowing starts..

Ps ukmo might be a bit more interesting than some think..

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
5 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Sadly, I expect the UKMO may even be a tad optimistic but we'll see. Day 6 UKMO doesn't look all that bad.

It isn't bad at all if surface cold and dry floats your boat. 

It wouldn't take much to get neg uppers though and then the battleground scenario could yield snow instead of rain and drizzle.

There is also the possibility that we could get improvements from day 7 I guess but currently it looks like the models are more and more reluctant to put enough energy in the Southern arm of the jet, we will see.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 3

Posted
Just now, Mucka said:

It isn't bad at all if surface cold and dry floats your boat. 

It wouldn't take much to get neg uppers though and then the battleground scenario could yield snow instead of rain and drizzle.

Well at this point I'd take surface cold over a flow dragged up from the Mediterranean and beyond!

• Like 3

Posted

UKMO is very good in my opinion on the face of it, it may not look good.

Consistent with taking +ve heights to NE poleward that’s important sustains the longevity of the block and subtle hints of the Atlantic disrupting se against the block. In no man’s land at 144 but 168 will be interesting to see! 

0A0693DB-51C7-41FB-9248-D28B35912D34.thumb.gif.92c8cbaef0f2ace636ff4dc6d70d4dea.gif

• Like 2

Posted

Morning folks - the 0z GEFS are better though so the trending is not all one way...

Edited by mulzy
  • Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Daniel* said:

UKMO is very good in my opinion on the face of it, it may not look good.

Consistent with taking +ve heights to NE poleward that’s important sustains the longevity of the block and subtle hints of the Atlantic disrupting se against the block. In no man’s land at 144 but 168 will be interesting to see! 

0A0693DB-51C7-41FB-9248-D28B35912D34.thumb.gif.92c8cbaef0f2ace636ff4dc6d70d4dea.gif

Correct! Look at the mighty waa ( i really liked that band in the 1980s)going up towards the arctic..

Posted
22 minutes ago, Mucka said:

I think that's basically right. It's not a bad set up for a few days with a particularly cold weekend but the real fun being shown by ECM, GEM and briefly UKMO has yielded. The 0z UKMO is certainly not bad but you're right about the convergence, and it's exactly what GFS showed run by run, to the frustration of us oldies and coldies who wanted more snow action. A retrograding high back towards Shetland to allow the vicious easterly was bucking the form horse which is a sinker or slider. We've seen the latter all too often. My concerns were raised by the failure of almost any GFS ensembles to come on board: they didn't seem to entertain the ECM / GEM / UKMO scenario and it looks as if GFS has been proved right again. Which is irritating :D 

It will still not exactly be warm!! And there's still a chance of some cold upgrading. We await the ECM with great interest and the ensembles to see if there are any chinks.

• Like 2