Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - into 2018

Paul

Posted

The eps are pretty good re the op - now that can happen from time to time so it would be prudent to wait for the 00z before digging out the salopettes 

extended maintains low anomolys (heights and slp) to our south - how the lw trough navigates from the n Atlantic to the med will be the question .......

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

The eps are pretty good re the op - now that can happen from time to time so it would be prudent to wait for the 00z before digging out the salopettes 

extended maintains low anomolys (heights and slp) to our south - how the lw trough navigates from the n Atlantic to the med will be the question .......

Sounds good, I think we can be pretty sure of a cold weekend but still way to early to call beyond that - even if the METO are changing their wording for the better. This time tomorrow we may still be in the same place I guess, but hopefully more cross model agreement on some heights establishing to our NE beyond the weekend.  What would be great to see is a weakening of Atlantic strength , the ECM certainly started that ball rolling.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Will all the negative teleconections for UK cold surely theECM can't be correct?

If after all the recent MRFs we end up with a cold, easterly January I will never take notice of 'background' signals again!

To be honest I am dubious about all these teleconections and background signals, most of which didn't exist back in the 1970's, in 1979 a MJO was something you ordered with a Spanish Tapas!

Andy

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms frost snow heatwaves
56 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

New years eve, the best! not around then, but it looks legendary!

archives-1978-12-31-0-0.png

Fortunately I was around and if my memory serves me correctly this setup gave this part of Ireland an appreciable fall of snow. Fond memories of waking up and opening the bedroom curtains and seeing the garden hedges weighed down with snow. Hopefully any potential wintry spell will now gain momentum in the coming days and deliver what most coldies crave :yahoo:

• Like 1

Posted

Just to say that there is little sign that the Atlantic will lessen its strength in the extended period - but with the help of the upper Scandi ridge we could well see it deflected in a sustained fashion to our south - the mean jet at day 10 looks impressive  

also, three wave hemispheric pattern at same timescale 

A0F2F500-0534-40A0-BBF4-1BE68CD15F31.thumb.jpeg.c36ea622e7fb926a47e0b3e8aff34efe.jpeg

DCE08A16-C874-4A18-B51A-9315CB7F5504.thumb.jpeg.698dfd966ad9feff2092cd44568cfd13.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

Will all the negative teleconections for UK cold surely theECM can't be correct?

If after all the recent MRFs we end up with a cold, easterly January I will never take notice of 'background' signals again!

To be honest I am dubious about all these teleconections and background signals, most of which didn't exist back in the 1970's, in 1979 a MJO was something you ordered with a Spanish Tapas!

Andy

Of course they existed andy - we just didn’t realise .......

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, ice, cold
On 30/12/2017 at 20:18, knocker said:

Then the thread title is incorrect. And it is not a case of bog standard it is a matter of attempting to get a handle on the current evolution of the models without being being nonsensically biased. If that leads to snow and ice fine, if not tough but what goes on in between should not just be ignored. Irrespective if the majority on here wish it to be.

Please do continue to discuss the models, not solely the cold and snow modelling. 

I can't learn if I only read one part of the models discussed. Like trying to work out the sound of a symphony when you only hear the clarinet and tuba. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
58 minutes ago, TEITS said:

See my post from this morning because the ECM 12Z is exactly what I was referring to when the 0Z ECM came out.

I have no interest in the E,ly shown for this weekend because I don't think it will deliver except for N Scotland.. Beyond is a different matter entirely!

I know it's only CFS v2 1 monthly runs but over the last couple of days I've seen 2 runs which suggests a minor easterly (with rather poor uppers) followed just after mid-month by a much more substantial block to the north east and 'real cold' - so something to keep an eye on.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Froze were the Days said:

I know it's only CFS v2 1 monthly runs but over the last couple of days I've seen 2 runs which suggests a minor easterly (with rather poor uppers) followed just after mid-month by a much more substantial block to the north east and 'real cold' - so something to keep an eye on.

How many have you seen that didn’t ? 

I guess the fact that cfsv2 isn’t churning out warm run after warm run is notable enough though ! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

Yes, there was a stonking -ve uppers anomaly over us and to the South of us on a recent run.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

How many have you seen that didn’t ? 

I guess the fact that cfsv2 isn’t churning out warm run after warm run is notable enough though ! 

Yes going by a majority of it's runs for December (back in November) certainly didn't pick out the northerly and subsequent trough disruption - as one would guess a lot of bias towards continuous Atlantic depressions moving east to west as it has done on 90% of the runs for January and early February. Noted the height rises to the NE only of the last few days on 2 runs - so that really is saying something for cfsV2 ::D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
2 hours ago, Frosty. said:

Loving the Ecm 12z, becomes colder and blockier than the 00z..:cold-emoji:☺?

the blockier the better:good:

• Like 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Sounds good, I think we can be pretty sure of a cold weekend but still way to early to call beyond that - even if the METO are changing their wording for the better. This time tomorrow we may still be in the same place I guess, but hopefully more cross model agreement on some heights establishing to our NE beyond the weekend.  What would be great to see is a weakening of Atlantic strength , the ECM certainly started that ball rolling.

lets  see what  the pub run like after a few new  years  drinks!!!

Posted

Just had a late look at the ecm and my oh my is winter coming? Tomorrow’s runs will be interesting. Just a thought but could this east Pacifica La Niña be helping the meridional jet along with low solar. Who knows?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
1 hour ago, Fozfoster said:

Out to the 10/01/2018

0DC3002F-2222-40CF-8D88-E339A39B4861.jpeg

Ooh 0.04 cm brilliant

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Purga said:

'Mogreps for Sunday 7 Jan has 14 easterlies 2 anticyclonic and 1 NW'

:hi:

How do you know that information? ;)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Evening, to much attention to the ECM at the later stages, how precious is a real true Scandinavian high ,how many times as the Scandinavian high produced the goods in the last thirty years Answers on a postcard please....:rofl:

• Like 2

Posted
57 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

Andy

Thing is the weather is constantly moving it’s never stactic,that’s why I think it’s impossible to make any long range forecast  by whatever means beyond 10 days.This forecast from catacol,who is an excellent poster, posted only 3 days ago,is already looking bust.

My take  would be that any NWP output pointing to blocking to the north in the next week to 10 days is ambitious and likely to be blown away by vortex strength.Angle of the jet may possibly produce some more transient events and snow for the usual high ground locations-but otherwise a westerly regime,stormy at times.” 

Edited by SLEETY
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD
3 minutes ago, Sweatyman said:

Ooh 0.04 cm brilliant

Yeah easterlies only bring snow for us midlanders if it’s a breakdown scenario 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
2 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

New years eve, the best! not around then, but it looks legendary!

archives-1978-12-31-0-0.png

I8 years old then , in the pub at 7pm, just started to snow, a strong E/NE wind, biting cold. Turned out at 0100, blowing a blizzard, drifting over the hedge rows.:D

• Like 3