Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - heading into 2018

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in here. 
For more general chat and banter, moans and ramps, please head to the banter thread.
For general weather chat, please go to the regional threads.

Notice a problem with a post? Please hit the report button.
Thank you!

View the latest forecast models in the Netweather DataCentre

Posted

ECM now develops a channel low for Boxing Day and has a snow event for central southern England (not coasts) late Tuesday into Wednesday. GFS not entirely different but slightly further north.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow

Been enjoying following this thread most of this year but enjoying winter as well as summer take a greater interest from mid november.Winter has got off to a fairly good start in the UK in terms of cold which rhe models picked up fairly well and i think they picked up general signs that things will turn milder which they are now.I have just looked through GFS 00z run and whilst you should never take a run in isolation i have to say comparing it to yesterdays 00z the theme is generally mild with a few cool pm shots with snow limited to high ground in the UK imo.I think the problem if you are of a colder persuasion is that the US is going into the freezer atm and this looks to last a good 2-3 weeks.Result is sadly systems running off Eastern Seaboard and firing of the jet which wont allow any significant blocking to form over Greenland imo-we have more chance of a scandi block which as others have said is very unlikely.!!

With all the above said everything is not lost but we have to be realistic and say there will be no significant cold spell for our shores for next 2-3 weeks which i know the vast majority are looking for on this thread.Those that havent done so, read Ianpennell on another thread.I hope his thoughts come true re end off Jan/Feb. TBH if you offered me a 2 week cold spell to give UK lots of snow and cold with 10 weeks of mild i would take it every time.I hope this isnt the 4th consecutive winter down here in the SE that has failed to provide a significent snowfall of more than 2cms!!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Man With Beard said:

ECM now develops a channel low for Boxing Day and has a snow event for central southern England (not coasts) late Tuesday into Wednesday. GFS not entirely different but slightly further north.

True 

6434.png

Posted
4 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

UKMO is also a bit further north too.

:)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy Snow
37 minutes ago, Hotspur61 said:

Been enjoying following this thread most of this year but enjoying winter as well as summer take a greater interest from mid november.Winter has got off to a fairly good start in the UK in terms of cold which rhe models picked up fairly well and i think they picked up general signs that things will turn milder which they are now.I have just looked through GFS 00z run and whilst you should never take a run in isolation i have to say comparing it to yesterdays 00z the theme is generally mild with a few cool pm shots with snow limited to high ground in the UK imo.I think the problem if you are of a colder persuasion is that the US is going into the freezer atm and this looks to last a good 2-3 weeks.Result is sadly systems running off Eastern Seaboard and firing of the jet which wont allow any significant blocking to form over Greenland imo-we have more chance of a scandi block which as others have said is very unlikely.!!

With all the above said everything is not lost but we have to be realistic and say there will be no significant cold spell for our shores for next 2-3 weeks which i know the vast majority are looking for on this thread.Those that havent done so, read Ianpennell on another thread.I hope his thoughts come true re end off Jan/Feb. TBH if you offered me a 2 week cold spell to give UK lots of snow and cold with 10 weeks of mild i would take it every time.I hope this isnt the 4th consecutive winter down here in the SE that has failed to provide a significent snowfall of more than 2cms!!

The latest gfs run would seem to suggest so for the immediate term

Posted
2 hours ago, feb1991blizzard said:

GEFS are zonal rubbish.

Really???

IMG_0705.thumb.PNG.ceb61899aa20e555cfe56b44cd8a0412.PNGIMG_0706.thumb.PNG.7511fdc5a54a2d2e47e994be8a752487.PNG

IMG_0707.thumb.PNG.2a0e9fda89cb5232e8f7acc40a652745.PNGIMG_0708.thumb.PNG.e23c57bea5acdaa86e1bd1a7985aee93.PNG

IMG_0709.thumb.PNG.36d76a21bdf9fd1dfde63d174a62cc89.PNGIMG_0710.thumb.PNG.b480d085fd9a675704d763ebf8c84aa4.PNG

IMG_0711.thumb.PNG.c9443d426bdcb3c7748000a638d40494.PNG

Of course there are plenty of more zonal members (when isn't that the case) and clearly these aren't all necessarily cold for us charts, but the theme of a Scandinavian high evolving is still very much present.

• Like 4

Posted
55 minutes ago, Man With Beard said:

It gives 6” for central southern areas! Slider part 2 coming up I feel! 

922C58B2-ADCA-49F5-8F0B-6387A905737B.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
9 minutes ago, s4lancia said:

Really???

IMG_0705.thumb.PNG.ceb61899aa20e555cfe56b44cd8a0412.PNGIMG_0706.thumb.PNG.7511fdc5a54a2d2e47e994be8a752487.PNG

Of course there are plenty of more zonal members (when isn't that the case) and clearly these aren't all necessarily cold for us charts, but the theme of a Scandinavian high evolving is still very much present.

I thought the charts were miles better for scandi high's the other week tbh, there's only a couple that would deliver for us, d15 mean on eps now showing -ve heights to the north and a great big Bartlett.

Posted
49 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

the ec control was marginally south of the op though the ens don't see this feature in that position as yet (checking out the mean snow chart) 

The latest T84 fax has the system approaching sw Ireland about 100 miles north of the ecm op.  The ecm op showing signs of elongating the low in a similar way to 'slidergate' the other week!  The 12z output is going to be interesting to see where the envelope on this thing is. 

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I thought the charts were miles better for scandi high's the other week tbh, there's only a couple that would deliver for us, d15 mean on eps now showing -ve heights to the north and a great big Bartlett.

Forget scandi highs - the trend on the eps (and gefs tbh) is raising heights over Europe as week 2 progresses although the gefs are still clearly remain more interested in general height rises to our east/northeast than the eps. got to be right eventually! 

Posted
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

I'd agree they were better the other week but after that was dropped they have slowly been creeping back in at a new later timeframe.

I guess we will know in the not too distant future whether this is another false dawn or it has some legs.

EPS v GEFS on that one!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

You are right though midlands is the jackpot area for snow this morning buddy!!seems to be playing out like the last slider lol!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

UKMO extended has a big area of low pressure to our west giving most parts rain and wind at times

ukm2.2017123000_168_lant.troplant_prp_fcst.gentracker.thumb.png.53516af86525839fbfdba71dcdb6b0fd.png

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!

Well slidergate part two is something to keep an eye on over the coming days, a little bit of interest to keep us coldies engaged over the xmas period. 

Probably slighty more marginal than slidergate part one but snow is a possibility.

ECM 72-96 shows the track with the litttle wedge just ahead of the incoming and developing trough. A complex set up. Hopefully enough cold air can draw down from the north, courtesy of the shallow Greenland high, and we can avoid to much milder air being mixed in as the trough develops.

IMG_3081.thumb.PNG.7b5039002448a904f8f1527f0abc0b94.PNG

IMG_3082.thumb.PNG.5551c52de9b9a214ca2cba8f98a3b945.PNG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
18 minutes ago, shaky said:

You are right though midlands is the jackpot area for snow this morning buddy!!seems to be playing out like the last slider lol!

If the 'likely' slider was an odds on favourite horse running as grade1-in a' otherwise 5th grade race...id still at this precise moment stick no more than a cheecky fiver on it!! this could simply atm' diss-engage and drop at southern ireland' then simply scrape the tip of cornwall and ebb-off into northern france...

'However' as some others have flagged! After todays 12z..i may be more inclined to up my stakes and toy with the bookie!?? 

Edited by tight isobar

Posted
6 minutes ago, Surrey said:

The problem is, it's fleeting cold, nothing really sustained at all, any snow away from the north won't last 5 minutes. I tend not to like the setup of back edge cold because it's easily pushed away. Just like the GFS shows you get the cold air pulled south then 24-48 hours later it's back to mush 

Ecm op has me in two ice days wed and Thursday. That's colder than a couple weeks ago with 4" snow on the ground! 

Admitedly it's going to be an outlier (or close to) on the London temps later but the cold is there Boxing Day onwards until the Iberian dome of heights appears end of the week to change the axis of the flow with the tough digging further west. 

Edited by bluearmy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and....a bit more snow
1 hour ago, northwestsnow said:

And todays big winners on this mornings snow-code lottery (ec snow depth charts ) is.........the midlands!!!:rofl:

There are some big differences on the 850s between 96-120 this morning-

UKMO96

Modele UKMO - Carte prévisions

Modele UKMO - Carte prévisions

EC96

ECM0-96.GIF?23-12

ECM0-120.GIF?23-12

UKMO quite a bit colder-could be the difference between cold rain and cold snow for some !!

As long as we don’t have too much of that  warm snow rubbish!

Posted
9 minutes ago, DR(S)NO said:

As long as we don’t have too much of that  warm snow rubbish!

Think thats inevetable pal.

Given the lack in depth of uppers(850s)..

And ya just know that old word 'MARGINALITY' Will be a big player!

Its close your eyes and point at the map atm!!!

North/south/east/west.....

As per at this range.

ECU1-96.gif

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, shaky said:

Hmm gfs 06z might be going further south again lol!!lets see!!

It isn't mate its further north again and judging by the 528DAm line its cold hard rain anyway lol.

• Like 2

Posted

Slider traking furthernorth via gfs 6z..

And upper are a tad worse than ec

Screenshot_2017-12-23-09-52-12.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 2