Snow sleet hail shower incoming.

20171228_150011.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
1 minute ago, Mokidugway said:

Thought they where industrial unit roofs :rofl:

Yes a good way to fool anyone down sarf

Posted

A few rogue wintry showers while out at work today, in between the sunny spells.  Hopefully the skies will clear after sundown and give us an icy start to the night before the clouds roll-in.

Edited by dodgeredee
  • Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

Of course if its rain then you can be assured it would be persistent and heavy but because its snow, then you can't help but feel its a different story but the met seems certain that those higher up could see quite a decent snow event and for lower levels and near the coast, then its probably not worth getting too excited about and besides, whether you get lots of snow or not, the whole lot will be history by Friday night..

I agree GS..however..for those of us in the east of the region and with a decent bit of altitude we should be able to squeeze in a few hours of sledging etc..kids are off school so the hills round here will be busy!

I hoping for 5cm or so which will be enough for some snowy fun !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.

Im going to put my neck on the line here, and I might have to eat my own words, however, this is how I see tonight panning out, on the basis of all model runs/met office warnings etc. It's not 100% detailed and just represents a broad area outcomes of what may happen.

I forsee rain to be the order of the day in coastal areas, including coastal Cumbria (Whitehaven for example), Lancaster, Blackpool, Southport, Crosby, Liverpool west and the Wirral peninsula. 

I think as the rain edges eastwards, on a line of about 5-10 miles inland it may turn to sleet and wet snow.. I would expect you won't have far to travel eastwards if you live in a coastal area in Cumbria and Lancaster for example to see falling and settling snow.

Further south I would expect the Fylde Coast to stay mainly as rain, but the sleet to snow line maybe somewhere around Preston

Going further south, the changeover from Rain-Sleet-Snow will most likely occur around Kirkby in Merseyside, so places like Knowsley and St Helens may well see some heavy, settling snow during the course of the early hours. 

I would expect Chester to retain rain, along with Crewe, although Runcorn, Widnes, Warrington and Manchester will most likely see at least an episode of falling snow.

East of the places mentioned, I suspect it will be snow from the start and of course up in the higher hills of Lancashire and Derbyshire, it's not beyond the realm of reality that 15-20cm could be achieved.

Anyway that's my take on things. 

snow map.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

Im going to put my neck on the line here, and I might have to eat my own words, however, this is how I see tonight panning out, on the basis of all model runs/met office warnings etc. It's not 100% detailed and just represents a broad area outcomes of what may happen.

I forsee rain to be the order of the day in coastal areas, including coastal Cumbria (Whitehaven for example), Lancaster, Blackpool, Southport, Crosby, Liverpool west and the Wirral peninsula. 

I think as the rain edges eastwards, on a line of about 5-10 miles inland it may turn to sleet and wet snow.. I would expect you won't have far to travel eastwards if you live in a coastal area in Cumbria and Lancaster for example to see falling and settling snow.

Further south I would expect the Fylde Coast to stay mainly as rain, but the sleet to snow line maybe somewhere around Preston

Going further south, the changeover from Rain-Sleet-Snow will most likely occur around Kirkby in Merseyside, so places like Knowsley and St Helens may well see some heavy, settling snow during the course of the early hours. 

I would expect Chester to retain rain, along with Crewe, although Runcorn, Widnes, Warrington and Manchester will most likely see at least an episode of falling snow.

East of the places mentioned, I suspect it will be snow from the start and of course up in the higher hills of Lancashire and Derbyshire, it's not beyond the realm of reality that 15-20cm could be achieved.

snow map.jpg

I think there's a chance at sea level for some 

IMG_1498.PNG

IMG_1499.PNG

Posted

Not a good 12z GFS, it pushes the band east a bit faster. Less wintry for the south of the region but still great for the north.

The Aprege still looks fine but I have a feeling it may be overdoing the wintriness.

Edited by karyo

Posted
13 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

I think there's a chance at sea level for some 

IMG_1498.PNG

IMG_1499.PNG

There is whilst the winds are off shore, problem with this low is that its end up too far north so by Friday afternoon the whole region are under milder westerly winds and any PPN wrapped around near the low will be of rain for all areas, even at locations with fairly decent height.

Its one of those where you need to head to bed early and wake up in the early hours too see snow falling because by 8 or 9am, the band will of either of cleared the region or turned back to rain. There is a small chance the band could be an all snow event if it clears quickly enough before the dreaded on shore winds kick in.

1 minute ago, Geordiesnow said:

There is whilst the winds are off shore, problem with this low is that its end up too far north so by Friday afternoon the whole region are under milder westerly winds and any PPN wrapped around near the low will be of rain for all areas, even at locations with fairly decent height.

Its one of those where you need to head to bed early and wake up in the early hours too see snow falling because by 8 or 9am, the band will of either of cleared the region or turned back to rain. There is a small chance the band could be an all snow event if it clears quickly enough before the dreaded on shore winds kick in.

Hence my 90 minute event ,lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

I still don’t understand how it will snow with uppers of -1 to -2

Posted
4 minutes ago, karyo said:

Not a good 12z GFS, it pushes the band east a bit faster. Less wintry for the south of the region but still great for the north.

http://modeles7.meteociel.fr/modeles/arome/aromehd-1-19-0.png?28-16

12z AROME (1.3km) is better however. Has snow for much of the region through rush hour, rain reaching Merseyside about lunchtime. 

Not sure how accurate this model is, but I think it is relatively well thought of. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Stratocumulus perlucidus said:

I assume because temperatures at lower levels will remain low enough for those snowflakes at height to remain as such when it reaches the ground, this would be an all rain event for most if it occured 12 hours later because of daytime heating. 

May see snow here but i be surprised if much accumulates but whether its worth getting up early for I don't know in fairness, it is a blink and you miss it type of affair sadly.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Stratocumulus perlucidus said:

Because the temperatures below 5000 feet are still below freezing, at least for a time. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Geordiesnow said:

I assume because temperatures at lower levels will remain low enough for those snowflakes at height to remain as such when it reaches the ground, this would be an all rain event for most if it occured 12 hours later because of daytime heating. 

May see snow here but i be surprised if much accumulates but whether its worth getting up early for I don't know in fairness, it is a blink and you miss it type of affair sadly.

We've had good falls from these events but way to transient to get excited about .

Posted
4 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

http://modeles7.meteociel.fr/modeles/arome/aromehd-1-19-0.png?28-16

12z AROME (1.3km) is better however. Has snow for much of the region through rush hour, rain reaching Merseyside about lunchtime. 

Not sure how accurate this model is, but I think it is relatively well thought of. 

Yes Arome and Aprege still look fine for a spell of snow. I wish the euro 4 would update as it is often the more realistic in terms of wintry precipitation.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Mokidugway said:

We've had good falls from these events but way to transient to get excited about .

Aren't you on holiday? :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

@SP1986

A good summary on how things stand,will go one step further and say anything West of the M6 Will just be a sleety horrible mess sadly,East of the M6 Game on.

That damm M6 its like the M4 down south.

C.S

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters
1 minute ago, cheshire snow said:

@SP1986

A good summary on how things stand,will go one step further and say anything West of the M6 Will just be a sleety horrible mess sadly,East of the M6 Game on.

That damm M6 its like the M4 down south.

C.S

That contradicts what ste said.

Posted
Just now, Mokidugway said:

8 th of Jan ,lol

That's ok then carry on :D

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold
40 minutes ago, SP1986 said:

snow map.jpg

You don't need a very long neck to be confident that tonight's 'event' will deliver copious amounts of rain for the Wigan area

Edited by Spurry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
14 minutes ago, Stratocumulus perlucidus said:

That contradicts what ste said.

Maybe but thats experience of past events like this.

C.S

Posted

GFS still wanting to blast the system through sharpish.

11.thumb.GIF.5c090b068010e4863b7e1927e15790f7.GIF22.thumb.GIF.14ada557ed405e2ccfe8b5453ecee307.GIF