Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Weather Discussion - 09/12/2017 Onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.
2 minutes ago, iand61 said:

what I also seem to remember from those days was a lack of weather warnings as well as a good honest opinion of what was likely to happen, not a emphasis on what preference of weather the presenter wanted.

I still can't get my head around this. What preference a presenter wants has no business in a forecast. Just forecast what is likely to happen. If they can't do that - then get another job.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Sun ,Snow and Cold
8 minutes ago, HafrenLMP1 said:

You missed out on some snow in Wigan then; I worked there from 1992-99 and there were a few occasions when there was a decent dumping of snow. One that stands out is a Friday in late January 1995; started snowing around lunch time, and by the time it came to finish work (around 14:00) it was quite thick. In fact, it took around 2 hours (yes, 2 hours ) to get from Poolstock Lane to the M58......not helped by people just leaving their cars at the side of the road. Why???

1995 was probably one of the events i referred to,can't remember specifics..however 2 hours from Poolstock lane to the M58 is about average on a good day now..the whole town is gridlocked twice a day every day :rofl:

Posted
18 minutes ago, AderynCoch said:

Is this normal though? Looking at the 7am temperatures it was 0C at LBA but 7C at Manchester, which indicates to me a milder airmass which hadn't reached your neck of the woods yet. Now it's 6C at LBA and 8C at Manchester - a much smaller difference due to the eastward progression of the milder airmass.

Its the Irish sea that really does it, generally speaking temperatures across the central belt of Northern England are usually the same in winter. 

Where it matters is when setups are marginal, North West England does particularly poorly in these setups, especially in the last 3-4 years that have been characterized by a lack of deep cold. The wind of the Irish sea can make the difference between 1-2.c, we are lucky here that we are sheltered by the pennines so tend to do well in marginal scenarios.

NW England is definitely one of the worst places for lying snow in the country 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
17 minutes ago, HafrenLMP1 said:

I still can't get my head around this. What preference a presenter wants has no business in a forecast. Just forecast what is likely to happen. If they can't do that - then get another job.

Neither can I but these days the media is full of “presenters” { I use that term loosely} who’s entire body language revolves around the mood they are in and if something isn’t going their was you can’t half tell.

It happens with the weather and we know examples of this but aside from that subject, just look at football pundits. They say they are fair and unbiased.

no chance, if their team isn’t doing well you need a wheelbarrow to carry their chin.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
4 minutes ago, Cheese Rice said:

Its the Irish sea that really does it, generally speaking temperatures across the central belt of Northern England are usually the same in winter. 

Where it matters is when setups are marginal, North West England does particularly poorly in these setups, especially in the last 3-4 years that have been characterized by a lack of deep cold. The wind of the Irish sea can make the difference between 1-2.c, we are lucky here that we are sheltered by the pennines so tend to do well in marginal scenarios.

NW England is definitely one of the worst places for lying snow in the country 

It’s always amazes me how hills of such modest height can have such a vast effect on the weather on either side of them.

you’d think they were the bloody Andes at times.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Neither can I but these days the media is full of “presenters” { I use that term loosely} who’s entire body language revolves around the mood they are in and if something isn’t going their was you can’t half tell.

It happens with the weather and we know examples of this but aside from that subject, just look at football pundits. They say they are fair and unbiased.

no chance, if their team isn’t doing well you need a wheelbarrow to carry their chin.

One name Dianne Oxberry!

Posted

Even though we have all been saying things have changed snowise, I do think the atmopshere is very different this year and i'd be very surprised if the region as a whole doesn't get at least one decent 'snow event' this Winter. There could be chances again in a weeks time.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Mokidugway said:

And eno erououetuoer

Lol, don't get me started on her. She has got to be THE worst forecaster/presenter on the planet!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
5 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

I'll let you now about the Andes in a week or so ,lol

The Andy Murrays?:rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Lol, don't get me started on her. She has got to be THE worst forecaster/presenter on the planet!

You've not seen Shef!

Posted
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

You've not seen Shef!

Plus they all have cracking names, Shef? Lol

Posted
12 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

I'll let you now about the Andes in a week or so ,lol

Lucky sod :nonono:

enjoy yourself mate.

• Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mokidugway said:

Lol, I thought she was transgender at first :oops:

I mean, we have the OX who if a Blizzard was coming she would say something like ' it's nothing to worry about, you might see a few flakes in the wind'. To Eno, who I honestly think only knows 2 words, showers & clouds!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

I think I’ve done well this December considering how close I am to the dreaded Irish sea. 3 days with snow falling; 1 day with snow lying, (if only for 2 hours); 4 air frosts; 1 thunder event. Last nights precipitation was in the process of turning to snow before it cleared away as well. Definitely the best Dec since 2014, maybe 2010. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

The Irish sea had little to do with this morning‘s temp differences. There was a warm sector with +6 850s sweeping away the negative 850s ahead of it.

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Even though we have all been saying things have changed snowise, I do think the atmopshere is very different this year and i'd be very surprised if the region as a whole doesn't get at least one decent 'snow event' this Winter. There could be chances again in a weeks time.

Agreed. Our time will come. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
8 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Agreed. Our time will come. 

One thing that happens now that never used to happen is that sometimes you get snow and I'll get rain. In the old days you could bet that being 100m up I'd get snow while you got rain.. not so simple these days.