Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

South West and Central Southern England Regional Weather Discussion 09/12/2017 onwards

Nick L

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy Winters, Torrential Storm Summers
6 minutes ago, Ashme said:

In the MOD thread they're saying the low keeps tracking further South on each run! How bad would the winds be if it was, say 100miles further South?

For this storm to track south, would mean it’s less intense. Currently we could get anywhere from 40-70mph gusts imo depending on track

* as matt just pointed out lol

Edited by karlos1983
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
5 minutes ago, Ashme said:

In the MOD thread they're saying the low keeps tracking further South on each run! How bad would the winds be if it was, say 100miles further South?

The movement overall has trended North. The UKMO model had the strongest winds in the channel & France a few days ago. Small corrections South are likely, but not a huge amount.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny or cold and snowy. Nothing inbetween.

The fact that it’s coming further south means it’s not as strong anyway.. think of a spinning top, the tighter it’s coiled, the further north/faster it is, the lesser coiled, the further south/slower it is (lesser wind speeds etc..) think that’s right anyway ??

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
4 minutes ago, karlos1983 said:

For this storm to track south, would mean it’s less intense. Currently we could get anywhere from 40-70mph gusts imo depending on track

* as matt just pointed out lol

TBH you'd probably have a better idea than me about that. I just took that from what I'd read in the MAD thread. You do learn something in there occasionally. :good:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Just an illustration of the 12Z v 18Z

overview_084.thumb.jpg.baf3186e3babc20969541758d2809c2b.jpg overview_078.thumb.jpg.2879d566646d4a07f3f2b37fa647b88b.jpg

A difference of 9mb. However, the same trend of it deepening as in enters the UK, and when it exits, on every run.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Just an illustration of the 12Z v 18Z

overview_084.thumb.jpg.baf3186e3babc20969541758d2809c2b.jpg overview_078.thumb.jpg.2879d566646d4a07f3f2b37fa647b88b.jpg

A difference of 9mb. However, the same trend of it deepening as in enters the UK, and when it exits, on every run.

Looks like proper winter fun for Scotland. I just want this week out the way now. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
Just now, Mapantz said:

They're fight among themselves in the NW thread. lol

Worth taking a look? :pardon:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm summers,gales, thunder lightning frosty mornings .

I too enjoy a good gale - so long as people aren't injured . 

I have been looking at wind meters to go alongside my other little measuring station . 

Current temp is 4.5 C and humidity 86% .

it seems to be accurate . 

Can't believe it's Monday tomorrow as this weekend has seemed to zoom by. 

Havent ventured into the MOd thread . Dot think I'm missing anything . 

Im going to have to venture in to the thread aren't I? Just to see the tracking of that low .

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundersnow

Thanks for replying guys, really appreciate your patience and more to the point your posts on here. Been a lurker for some time and have really got the bug for weather watching. 

Where's the best places to learn about reading charts and data and also what's your thoughts on Gavin Partridge? Watch alot of his YouTube videos (to me he seems pretty good.) But then again I thought that about most of them in the Mad thread ???

Posted

Talking of wind, just noticed the wind starting to pick up here ahead of the rain approaching for tomorrow morning. 

Posted

Seems it's the Scots turn to try it on in the MAD thread tonight judging by what they're posting in there and their own thread. :rofl:

Edited by matt111

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow and summer heatwaves.
47 minutes ago, matt111 said:

Seems it's the Scots turn to try it on in the MAD thread tonight judging by what they're posting in there and their own thread. :rofl:

Scots get decent winters every year..? :sorry:

hardly a challenge for them is it...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and lots of it or warm and sunny, no mediocre dross

Evening all, it's cool and calm here but the forecast for tomorrow looks vile. Personally speaking, you can keep the high winds, I hate gales - lost too may fences to them over the years living here and we're surrounded by elderly trees, live in fear of the damn things falling over. They belong to the neighbour but border us, he moved in about 8 years ago and because he was extending had to have an ecological survey, the trees were condemned as unsafe then and he still hasn't taken them out.

On a happier note, saw Darkest Hour tonight, Gary Oldman was fantastic, go see it. Got home to find The Water Diviner on the tv, another brilliant film with the yummy Russell Crowe. Happy bunny here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

Oh hello....drawing me in again. Will be rain by the time I check again in work. Incidentally Princetown has 6 hours of blizzards forecast

Screenshot_20180115-065611.png

Posted

Yep I noticed that too Festival. Not too much hope for Yelverton me thinks, but hopefully it won't be too far to travel to find a few flakes. Although there is nothing I love more than watching falling snow through the lounge windows. That was the main reason I moved to Dartmoor over 20 years ago. My husband is desperate to move by the sea, I might have to cave soon if we get some goog results soon.

Posted

Well that's a dire start to the week, soaked walking to the bus stop, and arrived at work to find my laptop hates wet Mondays too and it dead in the water. Two down one to go...

So we have 9.9C and a soggy start well it was at 6am, now let's see how potent the following showers will be..

Posted

Wet and blustery morning
SSW wind early morning but now SW 12-16mph with 20-25mph gusts and a handful of 30 - 34 mph gusts.
8.9c, 1001.5 hPa
6.8mm rain since 4am

Edited by lettice

Posted
42 minutes ago, SNOW CRYSTAL said:

Yep I noticed that too Festival. Not too much hope for Yelverton me thinks, but hopefully it won't be too far to travel to find a few flakes. Although there is nothing I love more than watching falling snow through the lounge windows. That was the main reason I moved to Dartmoor over 20 years ago. My husband is desperate to move by the sea, I might have to cave soon if we get some goog results soon.

Stay strong SC! I'm trying to badger the Mrs to move to Princetown but quite understandably she doesn' want to live in fog 6 months of the year!

Edited by festivalking

Posted
46 minutes ago, festivalking said:

Stay strong SC! I'm trying to badger the Mrs to move to Princetown but quite understandably she doesn' want to live in fog 6 months of the year!

How selfish :rofl:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snow in the winter, warm and dry in the summer !

Interestingly (and worryingly) Carol Kirkwood just mentioned in her forecast on the Beeb that the storm Weds/Thurs may bring damaging wind especially to the west and south.

Sounds like they are seeing it track further south than currently being modelled.

Posted
2 hours ago, festivalking said:

Oh hello....drawing me in again. Will be rain by the time I check again in work. Incidentally Princetown has 6 hours of blizzards forecast

Screenshot_20180115-065611.png

Well it lasted 2 hours....i would love to know how often these apps are updated where the data comes from (assume met office)  but this app goes out to 10 days. So in theory I guess when looking at the met office model (where it stops at day 6) you could guess what 7-10 would show by looking at the later stages of the app. 

In more important news wind gusts locally progged at 60mph on Wednesday night. So not totally devastating wind speeds.

Screenshot_20180115-094137.png

Posted
1 hour ago, karlos1983 said:

How selfish :rofl:

Indeed look at this for tomorrow!

Screenshot_20180115-103020.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

A pretty foul morning here with plenty of rain, though that has stopped now and the breeze is picking up.