Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - winter proper underway

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
9 minutes ago, mulzy said:

Ban me for posting an ICON chart if you must but this is close to a very good chart.

ICOOPEU12_180_1.png

I think I read something the ICON is respected by some I may however be mixing it up with another model. That is very close to being very snowy indeed, goes to show how NWP can quickly evolve.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, s4lancia said:

As the GEFS roll out, the theme of an increasingly southerly jet and low heights into Central Europe continues. Some interesting permutations in this lot

sounds promising :)

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but wind & rain
On 19/12/2017 at 14:48, danthetan said:

Why people are focusing on charts way out in the ontha and not in the semi reliable time frame 144hr is beyond me. The Alaskan ridge surging into the pole on the last few runs is going to play havoc within the models not worth looking past that timeframe.  

Refering back to my post yesterday regarding the model volatility and alaskan ridge taking todays 12Z UKMO it seems to be advertising with the idea of building heights towards Greenland which sends the jet south and low pressure systems with it this keeping us in colder air. Taking the GFS 12Z  you notice the deep low pressure systems are much less apparent compared with a few days ago, but is less keen on building heights into Greenland. We shall have to wait and see if this becomes the trend.

Posted
16 minutes ago, Longtimelurker said:

Wouldn't the cold air be coming down from the North rather than via Scandinavia in this set up? Looks like its coming from the direct North to me but I'm just a noob

Yes im a noob too- without one of the 0's :)

Anyway- there is some very cold air building over northern scandy on ukmo 144-

The problem is the strong jet streak coming across the Atlantic- we need every bit of helpwe can muster from the ridge which has nosed into Greeny-

We are not going to stop the Lows coming across the Atlantic- we need them to be as far south as possible -

METOFFICE expect the lows to be too far north to give much wintry weather for the UK as it stands,.

But we are still 7 days away so much can change, hopefully for the better- so i can wheel out my favourite icons -:yahoo:and :cold:

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Doesn't look promising by day 10 unfortunately!! Jet steams through. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Four true seasons. Hot summers and cold winters.
1 minute ago, Ali1977 said:

Well, on the plus side if even day 5 isn't decided yet then day 10 counts as deepest darkest FI.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
11 minutes ago, s4lancia said:

As the GEFS roll out, the theme of an increasingly southerly jet and low heights into Central Europe continues. Some interesting permutations in this lot

HMM - yes some PM and some runners but a lot of zonal runs, the only one by 270 hrs that looks exceptional is P9

Posted
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

I thought you wrote off up to mid/late January in the moan thread. :D 

CC did in November however with December good old CFS good bit of reverse psychology. :yahoo:I for one never write anything of you never truly know what may be round the corner. 

GEFS are definitely trending colder, obviously colder further north - the changeover day appears to be on the big day itself.

406598E4-5100-4E51-9DE8-33A59E795D7A.thumb.jpeg.2b4ad83fb970c2a44e1a56887bd5a865.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, Ali1977 said:

Ridging from the Pacific side is rarely enough to stop the zonal flow across our side of the hemisphere. Really need a 2 or 3 wave attack on the trop vortex to give us any meaningful chance at seeing anything interesting...which is why I was trying to preach how important maintaining the N Atlantic amplification is/was to retaining a highly disorganised trop vortex. 

Trying to stop the mean zonal flow from here on in is going to be like trying to stop a river current with a pebble. I've said from the outset that a SSW was needed this year after the trop led pattern peters out and I've seen nothing to change my thoughts.

• Like 7

Posted

I don't think the 12Z GEFS are showing the jet steaming through at all?

The op was pretty much a mild outlier by the 29th -

Still scope for a wintry spell between the 26- 31st from where im sitting- moreso further north..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, nick sussex said:

We've got a large pebble! :D

We're not trying to stop it but divert it further south. Its impossible to avoid the Atlantic pushing a lot of energy east which fits in well with the lagged MJO phase 7 response but the track of that into the UK is still uncertain could be very wet or very white.

Given the huge changes since the weekend then its clear the models are not to be trusted post T168hrs until they settle down.

I think its best to keep an open mind for a few more runs.

Well as long as we don't see something like this crop up in the operationals then we at least have a chance of seeing some falling snow :D

gensnh-4-1-372.png

Posted

Not to be picky GP but the composite would be colder than the GEFS with the jet track further south and lower heights further into Europe.

Given the jet track is still subject to revision this far out isn't it impossible to know at this stage whether the UK might still at times remain on the polar side of the jet.

• Like 2

Posted

@Glacier Point mjo forecasts from ecmwf and GEFS look very different, GEFS takes it to  amplitude phases 8 and 1  ecmwf takes it to phases 1 and 2 in or close to the circle of death. So which model is right, probably ecm ?

Posted
3 minutes ago, ArHu3 said:

@Glacier Point mjo forecasts from ecmwf and GEFS look very different, GEFS takes it to  amplitude phases 8 and 1  ecmwf takes it to phases 1 and 2 in or close to the circle of death. So which model is right, probably ecm ?

But all towards the Indian Ocean (albeit via quite different routes). Quite a hike back to the Pacific from there as always, but we'll see.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

This snapshop paints a very big picture!..

Mjo/and forcing of momentum, looks imo already over-riden,..

The operationals are/have been the most consist-and mark'ed..

Gefsecm tenplates and support have imo been as worthy of old 70's ballon data!???

And given the quite strange/disturbed state of the polar regions/regions...

I'd take guide over the raw op's atm over any other defining factors/data.

My opinion obviously...

But a factual/worthy one.

ECH1-120.gif

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: See if you can guess

It would be super funky if we could 'steal' the Alaskan ridge from US/Canada, over the top of the world and into Greenland!

Posted
2 hours ago, Weathizard said:

Hmmmm... arctic high much stronger on this run. Seems to be getting stronger every run

IMG_8671.PNG

It comes as no surprise, have been banging this drum for several days now and hopefully we will either see better ridging in the Atlantic in coming days or the Arctic high forcing energy further and further south, If and its a big if things went our way we could see some very wintry charts developing in the days ahead. But one step at a time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

Typical no sooner do I post about GP saying to look for hieght rises to our north /northeast  for the new year from around the 21st and GP posts to say mother nature has moved the goalposts. Ah well its only the weather.

Edited by Broadmayne blizzard