The Midlands Regional Weather Discussion - 07/12/2017 Onwards

Stopped snowing hours ago. Managed maybe an inch or so in the end. Only a little less than the 15-30 cm forecast this weekend here. All main roads clear and everything running as normal. No disruption.

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some pics of my home in Shropshire - it's throwing it down again now.  I'd say we have has about 8 inches but its at least a foot deep on my lawn ans surrounding fields.

17cm of level snow. That's more than Dec 2010 or Dec 1995 managed. It's certainly the most round here since Feb 1991, possibly 1987. 4 years without any significant snow ends like this.!

this mornings drive out or a small bit of it.  

Posted Images

1 minute ago, MattStoke said:

Stopped snowing hours ago. Managed maybe an inch or so in the end. Only a little less than the 15-30 cm forecast this weekend here. All main roads clear and everything running as normal. No disruption.

Yes, few flurries in the air just now but I can't see any potential for heavy snow this afternoon. Just think if the model were 50 miles north...

1 minute ago, andy_leics22 said:

Wow, his is unbelievable! It's picking up again here even though the radar shows it should have almost stopped. Non-stop now since 4:30am. never seen such prolonged snowfall in my life. 8 hiurs and counting.

20171210_122655.jpg

Nice!

Yes longest i've seen it snow here too. I'm not sure i'll ever see anything beat my holiday to Whistler, Canada though. I was there in November, and it snowed 550CM in that month :D

23 minutes ago, jk said:

Just started back up again here, larger flakes hope it's not a blip.

Same here, seems to have pepped up a bit last 15 mins.

Edited by Gustywind
8 minutes ago, andy_leics22 said:

Non-stop now since 4:30am. never seen such prolonged snowfall in my life. 8 hiurs and counting.

Like we had on Friday - it simply didn't stop all of daylight, having started long before dawn and continued into the night. 

Just about to venture out to clear the steps now BEFORE the freeze tonight - dishwasher-salt granules, btw, folks. Acts immediately as grit and then as salt, much cheaper than salt or grit :)

(Also, while I'm at it, I'm sure you lot already know but w have watched SO many cars failing to get out of our shared carpark which is across a slant north-south and then when you get to the entrance that's a slope east-west... every single one of them has simply gunned it, burning clutch and trying to burn through the snow to the tarmac - really doesn't work. Honest. An ordinary non-4wd car will cope perfectly well with driving in six inches or more of snow but ONLY if you can drive on fresh or near-fresh snow, not on polished ice, and move away SLOWLY in second gear, and once you're moving basically try to do as little as possible - don't brake, don't accelerate, don't steer, the absolute minimum of each...

God, there's another out there now - little hatchback with five people all pushing and it gets two foot forward and then slides three foot sideways across the carpark slope on the ice it is creating for itself... 

• Like 3

Just got in from a 40 minute trudge through the snow, and it’s just starting to thicken up here too.

went to check my meto forecast and their site has crashed ?

Edited by fizz511
Just now, snowstorm27x said:

Whiteout here by far the heaviest fall yet. Radar now has an area of very heavy snow for West Mids. We might need a tractor soon.:cold:

Looks like we've just caught the end of it , it's topped us up a bit.