Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - cold spell to end Autumn

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Although the output looks poor on the face of it I think it is possible we are seeing the models seeing a new evolution which will lead to Northerly, just a later one than originally modelled.

GFS/UKMO 144 comparison

gfsnh-0-144.pnggfsnh-0-144.png

Rather unintuitively the new flatter pattern out to mid term may help us so long as we can get some amplification upstream by allowing the shortwave lows to eject East and phase with the main trough retaining some Atlantic blocking not allowing the Atlantic in proper.

UKMO is better upstream than GFS and the 168 chart would likely show a Northerly which could become accentuated by those shortwaves ejecting East. There is a danger of a West based neg NAO developing if they phase to far North and/or West but if they phase further South and/or East they could actually be a big help.

If this is correct we will see a slow transition to a Northerly anything from one to a few days later than initially modelled recently dependent on how clean any development is.

All bets are off for me until we see if this signal is correct and and how it is modelled with any consistency but don't be surprised to now see the first programmed Northerly fail only to be replaced by another.

Fascinating developments this morning.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

+ EPO and PV lobe over Canada/Greenland = fast jet + flatter pattern UK segment.

Best we can hope for is cold zonal in medium term. 

After mid Dec flattening EPO so reset. See what that brings?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

LOL

By T276 We get the Northerly,Watch The ECM have a change of Heart

C.S

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
1 hour ago, Mucka said:

Although the output looks poor on the face of it I think it is possible we are seeing the models seeing a new evolution which will lead to Northerly, just a later one than originally modelled.

GFS/UKMO 144 comparison

Rather unintuitively the new flatter pattern out to mid term may help us so long as we can get some amplification upstream by allowing the shortwave lows to eject East and phase with the main trough retaining some Atlantic blocking not allowing the Atlantic in proper.

UKMO is better upstream than GFS and the 168 chart would likely show a Northerly which could become accentuated by those shortwaves ejecting East. There is a danger of a West based neg NAO developing if they phase to far North and/or West but if they phase further South and/or East they could actually be a big help.

If this is correct we will see a slow transition to a Northerly anything from one to a few days later than initially modelled recently dependent on how clean any development is.

All bets are off for me until we see if this signal is correct and and how it is modelled with any consistency but don't be surprised to now see the first programmed Northerly fail only to be replaced by another.

Alluding to my previous post, new evolution to a delayed Northerly possible.

There are a few ensemble members who bring the new evolution I suggested they may move toward.

They are by no means definitive examples and I expect upstream to be more amplified so the ridge to be stronger and a little further West if it comes off. (It is of course one possible solution of many but seems a very feasible way to rescue victory from the jaws of defeat.)

I will use p10,19,20 to show how they all have the failed Northerly 144 

gensnh-20-1-144.pnggensnh-19-1-144.pnggensnh-20-1-144.png

You can see that they all have the shortwave ejecting East allowed by the flatter pattern instead of rolling North up the now demised ridge.

After they phase with the trough they look like this at 180.

gensnh-10-1-180.pnggensnh-19-1-180.pnggensnh-19-1-180.png

Because of the upstream pattern p10 and p20 quickly break the ridge down in FI but p19 produces this by day 10

gensnh-19-1-240.png

I know this glass half full given the output but I think the initial Northerly is pretty much dead but this delayed one still has a genuine chance of coming into our sights very quickly in the Op output.

I at least expect to see something similar modelled today or tomorrow by one of the main models.

I would forget the ensemble graphs for now, they are of little use when the models are searching for a new signal.

I can't really see any other way the pattern can reamplify quickly so fingers crossed.

Edited by Mucka
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

As expected the GFS has twitched towards the ECM solution. So the developing trend is towards a milder mobile outlook possibly. The next few runs should show that. However in deep fi big switches can still occur at any point.

• Like 1

The 0z as i looked at it wasn't all that bad yeah it didn't produce the northerly that we are all expecting but that was never stuck on with realistically anything past 120hr being a shot in the dark right now but there are aspects in the 0z which stand out in the evolution that are worth noting.

Lets start with our first charts at  156hr and as we can see from this chart there are a few things of note

Firstly the low pressures in the atlantic which instead of merging and moving northward actually seperate and part of the energy moves north east and leaves a seperate low pressure south in the atlantic

Secondly we see better development of WAA over the eastern seaboard of canada which in turn starts to produce a stronger ridge in this area

20171130_050221.thumb.png.c27a46c6f40a684bedc3b896b53fea0e.png

Next at 180hr we see the one area of low pressure being left alot further south in the atlantic which is good and we also see the WAA really going up the western side of greenland another good thing to see

The one bad point in it all is how deep the low over the UK is but it is certainly starting to displace the hieghts over europe

20171130_050515.thumb.png.1743eb61fbdcb3578affac084311e72c.png

Then as we see this develops into hieghts being pulled towards greenland with the low in the atlantic aiding the push of WAA into greenland in doing this now we could probably do with that part of the PV being a little further from greenland but with the NOAA prognosis earlier was calling for that part of PV moving northwestward away from greenland so i am sure we would gain a little westward movement 

Also to notice from this as well is hieghts building east of greenland which is always better for us here 

20171130_050715.thumb.png.902faf8840b718fc71009efc82ce8daf.png

Now eventually the run doesnt work out and the ridge starts to fall as seen here 

20171130_051227.thumb.png.cbe10372be297133798a80288f3b57ac.png

So although not giving us our northerly it is quite a good solution up stream for us which shows better WAA into greenland than the weak shortwave filled affair we have been seeing

But of course it is just another solution and is always open to change especially the way the models are acting 

• Like 3

Posted

Today starts with the familiar patter of low pressure centred southern Sweden and the high cell west of Ireland so the UK still in the cold, breezy northerly with wintry sowers down the coasts but more particularly in the north and down the east coast. A widespread frost this morning and icy in many places.

During the day, with the high tending to ridge NE the low will track south to northern Germany thus veering the wind NE and with troughs appearing in the flow more concentrated showers down the east coast (some still affecting the SW) which will be borderline vis rain, sleet or snow.

Overnight these will clear the south east as the ridge moves south cutting off the northerly and by 12 Friday a front accompanied by cloud and rain will be affecting the north west with temps on the rise to around average,

PPVE89.thumb.gif.15ba6b7d5e94715df407b634ce8e9812.gifPPVI89.thumb.gif.ea2bca395136f55737cf865149276f6a.gifgfs_ptype_slp_eur2_4.thumb.png.86a8fe0f024e213ac7252af0016843be.png

Over the weekend the high pressure will stay centred to the SW of Ireland thus the UK in a north westerly flow and mainly dry apart from showers in the NW and temps around normal. This is the synopsis at Monday 00 with the overall pattern not unfamiliar with the twin energy flows, one around Greenland and the other out of the eastern seaboard that are both putting the high cell under pressure

gfs_ptype_slp_eur3_17.thumb.png.ced1ecd429879282a33e241f35028082.pnggfs_z500a_natl_17.thumb.png.79756a9202276f5eaff64fb7e8587028.png

But the high is nothing if not resilient and although it has been shunted east by 12 Tuesday the UK remains under it's influence. But during the shunt a wave has developed on the front associated with the main trough to the west and has traveled quickly around the high pressure via Iceland, where it phases with the colder trough to the north , and by the same time Tuesday is in the Norwegian Basin with the front lying west-east north of Scotland. This is the boundary between the cold and warm airmasses.

gfs_ptype_slp_eur3_21.thumb.png.681202c6b98b8635c0c7ce0b472c9f4a.pnggfs_ptype_slp_eur3_23.thumb.png.0fdd92a0e78ac0f19738e9d11d0c46b0.pnggfs_uv500_natl_23.thumb.png.83184507de7cbade25238183b3f9ce56.png

So where from here? Over the next 24 hours the front moves a little south  over Scotland as another wave forms on it as the main trough to the south west continues to push north east but the rest of the UK remains under the auspices of the resilient HP and in warmish westerly zephyrs.as the delineation between the cold and warm air remains along the front.

gfs_ptype_slp_eur3_27.thumb.png.06cebfa5a66a85ec8033e72d836f0bf4.pnggfs_t850a_natl_27.thumb.png.c536a515a5e5cd123578949a950c2c7b.png

It would be wise to stop here as I don't give any credence to the evolution from this point but just to note it. The main trough continues to push NE and develops into an intense are of low pressure over the UK which if did occur, would bring blizzards to many places. Best forget it

gfs_ptype_slp_eur3_34.thumb.png.cfeef4741d1356b358f5cbcb64a75572.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

I was musing over what tamara said recently over people looking at the nhp and expecting major blocking. The profile going threw next week shows atlantic ridging "trying" to get quite a Way north but being suppressed to a degree. No real sign of any lasting block which is basically what she meant.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ScottishSnowStorm said:

The 0z as i looked at it wasn't all that bad yeah it didn't produce the northerly that we are all expecting but that was never stuck on with realistically anything past 120hr being a shot in the dark right now but there are aspects in the 0z which stand out in the evolution that are worth noting.

Lets start with our first charts at  156hr and as we can see from this chart there are a few things of note

Firstly the low pressures in the atlantic which instead of merging and moving northward actually seperate and part of the energy moves north east and leaves a seperate low pressure south in the atlantic

Secondly we see better development of WAA over the eastern seaboard of canada which in turn starts to produce a stronger ridge in this area

20171130_050221.thumb.png.c27a46c6f40a684bedc3b896b53fea0e.png

Next at 180hr we see the one area of low pressure being left alot further south in the atlantic which is good and we also see the WAA really going up the western side of greenland another good thing to see

The one bad point in it all is how deep the low over the UK is but it is certainly starting to displace the hieghts over europe

20171130_050515.thumb.png.1743eb61fbdcb3578affac084311e72c.png

Then as we see this develops into hieghts being pulled towards greenland with the low in the atlantic aiding the push of WAA into greenland in doing this now we could probably do with that part of the PV being a little further from greenland but with the NOAA prognosis earlier was calling for that part of PV moving northwestward away from greenland so i am sure we would gain a little westward movement 

Also to notice from this as well is hieghts building east of greenland which is always better for us here 

20171130_050715.thumb.png.902faf8840b718fc71009efc82ce8daf.png

Now eventually the run doesnt work out and the ridge starts to fall as seen here 

20171130_051227.thumb.png.cbe10372be297133798a80288f3b57ac.png

So although not giving us our northerly it is quite a good solution up stream for us which shows better WAA into greenland than the weak shortwave filled affair we have been seeing

But of course it is just another solution and is always open to change especially the way the models are acting 

This is also a very similar pattern we saw develop on yesterdays ECM 0z 

Screenshot_20171130-055243.thumb.png.8a5dd9bcbb52a344859a7d104103ec6f.png

Screenshot_20171130-055255.thumb.png.41db98ea15ab19722b9f6feaa7267dc4.png

Screenshot_20171130-055302.thumb.png.7de9786af03db2de3126c5738f8f1e69.png

Screenshot_20171130-055317.thumb.png.1fafe1f0ca5bfe1c25c26f687a719de1.png

And also with this mornings UKMO 0z you can see where this pattern could come from this chart 

Screenshot_20171130-055438.thumb.png.ab71bb2a497677e5e05ef09ca4963d7a.png

Screenshot_20171130-055255.png

Edited by ScottishSnowStorm
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow

Didn't think ecm could get any worse after yesterday's 12z.ah well roll on winter! !! Lol 168 looks ok :pardon:

Edited by swfc

Posted
2 hours ago, Mucka said:

GFS/UKMO 144 comparison

My exact thoughts when viewing the models this morning.

Keep the faith people's the freeze is just delayed not postponed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

All 3 at t144. Ecm and gfs go from here and still want to send heights to our nw. This model watching isn't for the faint hearted at the mo. 

IMG_0099.PNG

IMG_0100.PNG

IMG_0101.PNG

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms
9 minutes ago, ShortWaveHell said:

At 192 the ecm develops a sense of humor !! Goodness me 

And at T216 it' even better,just when GFS says no,The ECM comes on board 

C.S

Obviously FI Terotery