Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - cold spell to end Autumn

Paul
Message added by Paul

Please only post model discussion in this thread. 

For more general chat and banter, or moans and ramps loosely around the models, please head to the banter thread:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/topic/86721-model-moans-ramps-and-banter/

For general weather chat including about the snow/cold chances around the country, please go to the regional threads:
https://www.netweather.tv/forum/forum/142-regional-discussions/

Thank you!

Posted
12 minutes ago, Team Jo said:

Aaaaand it’s one run.

moans and one liners have their own thread, please use it if you’re writing off winter off for December/your lifetime/infinity based on tonight’s pub run. At the very least if you’re going to post one frame and with no comment or a Comment with no support other than a tingly feeling in your toes, expect your post to be moved :) 

aaaand....  thing is jo, its one run which is un-nervingly near to the ECM...

gfsnh-0-216-1.thumb.png.9cdc88b0889c8be545931af5f90c405f.png

ECH1-216-1.thumb.gif.dbce2c111b5bfc9b39354e17cde2eeae.gif

so maybe the toys can be moved to the edge of the pram but throwing should be delayed until at least the morning. but hey, its only the start of winter and its rare anyway to get decent cold spells this early. the fact we're even seeing charts like this at this stage has to be a positive going forwards.

so if we dont get lucky this time-

96d1f7315827b85e67e905baad5a1243.jpg.756ec97abe76eea26afa7390a343d247.jpg

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

To me, there is still a good chance of it turning colder again next week from the north following a milder blip this weekend into early next week..it's not over!:)

Looking forward to the 00z:D

hidingbehindcouch.png

Edited by Frosty.
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Wild!

Been watching the models all day. Fascinating watching them evolve.  I even got weather geeky at my work as ai explained what was happening. 

To me ot sounds as though the ECM is overplaying that Euro high and that it keeps seeking the normalised weather state, ie,  atlantic.

The ridging on the Greenie High is crucial. I would say that Scotland is a pretty firm bet for snow next week. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Just flicking through the last few runs and really the key dates for the cold coming south are still the same- around 6-7th December.The difference in the modelling of the Atlantic split flow today has weakened the southward movement though and instead of a clean nationwide northerly we see the battleground idea popping up again.A big difference in the temperatures north and south

viewimage.pbx?type=gfs;date=20171129;tim

As Nick S said a high risk evolution totally reliant on the latitude of the approaching low for some part of the UK to get lucky..If it is a snow fix you are after then this is the type of pattern you need rather than a few wintry showers around coasts and hills and a few frosts from another northerly like we have currently..

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.
1 minute ago, Nick F said:

Something for coldies to make them sleep more easy tonight, the 12z EC dept was a warm outlier toward the end for London

4E13715F-67D5-4E59-8882-E9CDD082C436.gif

Yes note the split around the 6th Dec on the graph the time of the cold air starting to come south again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, Nick F said:

Something for coldies to make them sleep more easy tonight, the 12z EC dept was a warm outlier toward the end for London

4E13715F-67D5-4E59-8882-E9CDD082C436.gif

They don't look a bad suite actually Nick, I thought they would be crap when I saw the FI mean was zonal earlier, if you consider the heat effect of London, loads of members below 5c maxes must intuitively mean that there are a lot for areas further North maxing at a few degrees less, maybe we should take that particular nail back out the coffin!

• Like 4

Posted

Another day of intriguing chart viewing. Despite the doom gloom it is still VERY much game on. Nothing has changed. Just a selection of the 18z GEFS below (and there were other very decent ones as well) for Friday week...

IMG_0644.thumb.PNG.d0f1f9fa12225264c9c547ba8e07f228.PNGIMG_0645.thumb.PNG.c582bbcbb04dff97caaacb75c2d3223f.PNG

IMG_0646.thumb.PNG.ae397100a8829a383cf8fa9a20032a75.PNGIMG_0647.thumb.PNG.a2983b292fe962b7d45ffde20cc274ac.PNG

IMG_0648.thumb.PNG.3361f72f9fd426a38692f7ef6cac09c8.PNGIMG_0649.thumb.PNG.04e3be93018666ec12ecb61860b41e95.PNG

IMG_0650.thumb.PNG.c955c48381b3fa63c3204470bd881043.PNGIMG_0651.thumb.PNG.55a19f32ba895f11ef06e8ee93a80510.PNG

• Like 4

Posted

Massive split on EC D10 clusters. Cluster 2 looks a bit like one of those GFS pub run classics. Cluster 1 looks even better for cold. I've noticed the ECM op sometimes jumps to one of the main clusters on its next run. There is hope!

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2017112912_240.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, frosty ground said:

About 25%

Yes, again looks a lot worse on the mean, but there as you say some potent Northerlies and even a few that return to zonal but are close of give a snowfest before doing so.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep snow, biting winds, frigid temperatures and thunderstorms
6 minutes ago, Timmytour said:

Hoping for better things tomorrow morning

I don't want to be reminded of how it was last winter

The models start looking frightful
When they have been so very delightful
There's always 10 days to go
Til it snows, til it snows, til it snows

Amen! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Now things have settled down here yet we are still no nearer to resolving the Northerly, may I suggest there is a signal in deep FI for an easterly type flow?

Just as a night cap?

The MetO and some background signals go completely against that and it is only a weakish signal I have been watching the last two days but just as with before this cold spell evolved in the models we shouldn't get to despondent when they don't show what we would like for a while.

I remember before this cold snap the models were showing zonal for a little while and yet we ended up with a pronounced Atlantic block within 10 days or so.

I go away next week and get back around mid month which a couple of days ago seemed perfect timing to miss out on any cold and snow but now the output is more muddled.

Still, I hope the cold comes off and some snow falls and even though any cold does not now seem locked in, that new opportunities crop up around mid month.

It would be great to arrive home just as an easterly is setting up, especially with the Xmas period around the corner.:ball-santa-emoji:

• Like 3

Posted

A couple more from the clusters. At T168, you can see that the biggest cluster is an upgraded version of the op cluster - track the 528 line to the north, and compare the heights over Europe, and you can see it's much more likely to result in a northerly that penetrates further south because of better ridging to the west and lower heights to the south:

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2017112912_168.

Finally the D15 chart - rather messy, the Atlantic ridge has gone (always seems this way in the extended) - possibly stormy, but not the first time a Scandi high has been suggested (control cluster) - potentially very cold indeed if an easterly brews

ec-ens_nat_z500scenarios_2017112912_360.

edit: Mucka, great minds think alike :)

Edited by Man With Beard
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
31 minutes ago, Timmytour said:

Hoping for better things tomorrow morning

I don't want to be reminded of how it was last winter

The models start looking frightful
When they have been so very delightful
There's always 10 days to go
Til it snows, til it snows, til it snows

But they do show signs of stopping

Before the Christmas shopping

For the beast they will all show

Let it blow, let it snow, let it snow

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
1 hour ago, bobbydog said:

aaaand....  thing is jo, its one run which is un-nervingly near to the ECM...

gfsnh-0-216-1.thumb.png.9cdc88b0889c8be545931af5f90c405f.png

ECH1-216-1.thumb.gif.dbce2c111b5bfc9b39354e17cde2eeae.gif

so maybe the toys can be moved to the edge of the pram but throwing should be delayed until at least the morning. but hey, its only the start of winter and its rare anyway to get decent cold spells this early. the fact we're even seeing charts like this at this stage has to be a positive going forwards.

so if we dont get lucky this time-

96d1f7315827b85e67e905baad5a1243.jpg.756ec97abe76eea26afa7390a343d247.jpg

There are far worse charts that we could be seeing. The vortex is still under attack (and zonal wind forecasts suggest that that is somewhat meaningful) and the low over the eastern US is actually at quite a good angle to avoid a raging Bartlett. 

As i mention elsewhere, there are a few things going against us right now (bad MJO phase, significant Pacific trades forecast) so if we can ride out this period with a lackluster stratosphere then things could be better down the line (though as Tamara has cautioned, there's no guarantee). 

Posted
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom
  • Weather Preferences: Continental:Warm dry summers, cold snowy winters
  • Location: Calgary, Canada. Previously, Saffron Walden (Essex/Herts border), United Kingdom

@The Eagle but look later on at something slyly edging it's way up the east coast of North America. Could be nothing but if that low in the Atlantic merges with that scandi low, it could be game on.  

edit: far too much energy coming off the east coast in this run :lazy:

Edited by CanadaAl

Posted

I'm not throwing the towel in, however the Northerly/arctic outbreak next week is now really starting to look unlikely.  The NH still looks full of potential, i.e. no big PV, but as per usual the UK is struggling to benifit. We're not even in winter yet so a loooonng way to go, personally I'd prefer any proper cold outbreaks further into winter anyway when we have colder seas and continents assisting us!! 

• Like 1