Jump to content
Thunder?
Local
Radar
Pollen

Stratosphere and Polar Vortex Watch


Paul
 Share

Recommended Posts

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
Posted
  • Location: Hadleigh, Suffolk
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
  • Location: Hadleigh, Suffolk

    I'm still a learner in here, but we seem to be at an interesting stage in autumnal developments atm with trop vortex struggling whilst up above the strat vortex is looking organised. So presumably a disconnect at the moment and the big question - how will things develop from here? Will the strat filter down or the trop disrupt up??

    ECM charts:

    500hPa 19th Nov 5a04c40b1247b_ECMNH500hPa19Nov.thumb.png.253f39434483e61a47940dd0b00cb3e1.png10hPa 18th Nov 5a04c41609223_ecmwf10f24010hPageotemp18Nov.thumb.gif.eba14cdfd097e23a5d8b16198064eeb1.gif

     

     

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Lincolnshire - 15m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
  • Location: Lincolnshire - 15m asl
    2 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

    I'm still a learner in here, but we seem to be at an interesting stage in autumnal developments atm with trop vortex struggling whilst up above the strat vortex is looking organised. So presumably a disconnect at the moment and the big question - how will things develop from here? Will the strat filter down or the trop disrupt up??

    ECM charts:

    500hPa 19th Nov 5a04c40b1247b_ECMNH500hPa19Nov.thumb.png.253f39434483e61a47940dd0b00cb3e1.png10hPa 18th Nov 5a04c41609223_ecmwf10f24010hPageotemp18Nov.thumb.gif.eba14cdfd097e23a5d8b16198064eeb1.gif

     

     

    The strat will filter down and couple. A period of westerly dominated weather is inevitable - even 1962, after an early Canadian Warming, had to wait until late December to show that the trop vortex was smashed.

    • Thanks 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Northallerton, N Yorks
  • Location: Northallerton, N Yorks

    ....but with an E-QBO this winter and the anomalous warmth in the Arctic, will the vortex be on 'steriods' this winter when/if it does couple with the troposphere, and will it be more vulnerable than in times of W-QBO to attacks from above and/or below? Questions, questions...!!

    Davd

    • Like 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: New Forest (Western)
  • Weather Preferences: Fascinated by extreme weather. Despise drizzle.
  • Location: New Forest (Western)

    It's the battle between a tropospheric-stratospheric linked vortex and anomalous ridges - usually kicked up by tropical forcing - pushing toward the high latitudes that tends to be how strong vertical wave flux takes place to produce large stratospheric warming events, which is essentially why a full winter of persistently blocked and cold weather is (AFAIK) unheard of in this country.

    The best winters see early internal wave breaking events leading to a HLB period with the blocks aligned nicely for the UK (the bit we're really struggling to resolve this year), then the vortex winding up but only briefly thanks to some tropical activity for example having also got going and driven poleward ridges that come up against the vortex, trigger vertical wave flux, and so on.

    It's true as Catacol posted that - after an often chilly and at times cold Nov - Dec 1962 was very mediocre in terms of the UK's weather until shortly before Xmas, and the major cold didn't set in until Boxing Day, but looking back at the stratospheric analysis, it appears that was actually internally driven, with the Nov weather related to the Canadian warming event. Amazing really that it persisted so long afterwards... and I really wonder how?

    Edited by Singularity
    • Like 5
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: County end Oldham 202 m Above sea level
  • Location: County end Oldham 202 m Above sea level

    As Dennis posted there was a decent warming north of canada in late Oct..wonder if this is impacting on the pv..

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: just behind Epsom Racecourse and the center of York
  • Location: just behind Epsom Racecourse and the center of York
    3 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

    As Dennis posted there was a decent warming north of canada in late Oct..wonder if this is impacting on the pv..

    probably coincided with the big uptick in flux activity we saw in early october

    Edited by jonboy
    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Somerset/Devon border, 220masl
  • Weather Preferences: See if you can guess
  • Location: Somerset/Devon border, 220masl
    On 11/9/2017 at 21:34, Catacol said:

    The strat will filter down and couple. A period of westerly dominated weather is inevitable - even 1962, after an early Canadian Warming, had to wait until late December to show that the trop vortex was smashed.

    So after the strat couples with the trop and we have a westerly dominated period (as seems likely), then what? What are the possible routes back to cold?

    Thank you, I have only a basic understanding of these matters

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Lincolnshire - 15m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
  • Location: Lincolnshire - 15m asl
    10 hours ago, Bruegelian said:

    So after the strat couples with the trop and we have a westerly dominated period (as seems likely), then what? What are the possible routes back to cold?

    Thank you, I have only a basic understanding of these matters

    In my interpretation (because others may disagree) we need to see two things in particular: Nina start to trend back towards neutral from a low point that isn't too low.... and date line convection in the pacific maintain a decent profile in order to provide a good boost to AAM from the next phase of the MJO. The October phase was a big one - the next one is unlikely to be so big but needs to be big enough to support mid lat ridges moving further to the north.

    From a Strat angle also, a decent MJO forcing will aid in any disruption we might get to the vortex. The vortex will build through December but as we hit January there may be an opportunity to put it under pressure. To aid MJO forcing it would be good to get some spikes in frictional and mountain torques - top of my list there would be to see the a waning of the Aleutian high and more of a trough in the north pacific. There are some on American WX who think this may occur thanks to a PDO trending closer to neutral than for a fair while.

    In essence its all up for grabs. A strong Nina, weak MJO, sustained Aleutian ridge - and I think any sustained cold spell is dead in the water for Jan/Feb. But these are not certain.

    • Like 1
    • Thanks 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    23 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

    As Dennis posted there was a decent warming north of canada in late Oct..wonder if this is impacting on the pv..

    What the anomaly animation shows is at the same time as warming over the Alaska/Canada area is a cooling over the north Atlantic/European region - this is just a redistribution of temperatures as the vortex moved. There was only a little warming as can be seen in the graph of 60-90°N 10mb temperature; compare this year to the significant warming of Autumn 2016 -

    6090T.thumb.png.44f950a5e098350ff9e2cca0222ab0eb.png

    https://acd-ext.gsfc.nasa.gov/Data_services/met/metdata/annual/merra2/temp/t60_90n_10_2017_merra2.pdf

    • Like 3
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Somerset/Devon border, 220masl
  • Weather Preferences: See if you can guess
  • Location: Somerset/Devon border, 220masl
    4 hours ago, Catacol said:

    In my interpretation (because others may disagree) we need to see two things in particular: Nina start to trend back towards neutral from a low point that isn't too low.... and date line convection in the pacific maintain a decent profile in order to provide a good boost to AAM from the next phase of the MJO. The October phase was a big one - the next one is unlikely to be so big but needs to be big enough to support mid lat ridges moving further to the north.

    From a Strat angle also, a decent MJO forcing will aid in any disruption we might get to the vortex. The vortex will build through December but as we hit January there may be an opportunity to put it under pressure. To aid MJO forcing it would be good to get some spikes in frictional and mountain torques - top of my list there would be to see the a waning of the Aleutian high and more of a trough in the north pacific. There are some on American WX who think this may occur thanks to a PDO trending closer to neutral than for a fair while.

    In essence its all up for grabs. A strong Nina, weak MJO, sustained Aleutian ridge - and I think any sustained cold spell is dead in the water for Jan/Feb. But these are not certain.

    Thank you, all very interesting.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: @scotlandwx
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies
  • Location: @scotlandwx

    GEFS bias, check tweets from Recretos

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: st albans
  • Location: st albans

    Yesterday's ec 12z promoted some activity high up and low down (nothing exceptional but more than we've seen recently). Today's 00z op shows the vortex at 30hpa doing something other than being very organised by day 10 with a potential split around 30/50 hpa. at timeframe day 10 I doubt too much should be taken from one run and given this ec op was the first in a while to head back down to AO -4, perhaps i should wait for the 12z before making this post ............

    • Like 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Netherlands
  • Location: Netherlands
    On 11-11-2017 at 10:29, Catacol said:

    In my interpretation (because others may disagree) we need to see two things in particular: Nina start to trend back towards neutral from a low point that isn't too low.... and date line convection in the pacific maintain a decent profile in order to provide a good boost to AAM from the next phase of the MJO. The October phase was a big one - the next one is unlikely to be so big but needs to be big enough to support mid lat ridges moving further to the north.

    From a Strat angle also, a decent MJO forcing will aid in any disruption we might get to the vortex. The vortex will build through December but as we hit January there may be an opportunity to put it under pressure. To aid MJO forcing it would be good to get some spikes in frictional and mountain torques - top of my list there would be to see the a waning of the Aleutian high and more of a trough in the north pacific. There are some on American WX who think this may occur thanks to a PDO trending closer to neutral than for a fair while.

    In essence its all up for grabs. A strong Nina, weak MJO, sustained Aleutian ridge - and I think any sustained cold spell is dead in the water for Jan/Feb. But these are not certain.

     

    They expect a weak La Nina. According to research by Hood we should expect the large amplitudes and occurrence rates, and the weakest static stabilities in the tropical lower stratosphere, because we are in a state of QBOE and under solar minimum (SMIN)

    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2017GL072832/abstract

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Lincolnshire - 15m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
  • Location: Lincolnshire - 15m asl
    36 minutes ago, sebastiaan1973 said:

     

    They expect a weak La Nina. According to research by Hood we should expect the large amplitudes and occurrence rates, and the weakest static stabilities in the tropical lower stratosphere, because we are in a state of QBOE and under solar minimum (SMIN)

    http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2017GL072832/abstract

    Latest Metoffice update has the 3.4 region dropping to -1.5 or maybe lower... though some members are less cold. This isnt good. Takes Nina forcing into 1988/89 or 1998/99 territory. 

    nino34_anom_20171101.png

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Netherlands
  • Location: Netherlands

    Yes, I know and it's probably the reason for their positive NAO forecast. http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/lanina/enso_evolution-status-fcsts-web.pdf

    Page 24 you can read that UKMO is on the lowest side of the forecast (of course course it can be right)

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Wakefield, West Yorkshire
  • Weather Preferences: Anything except blazing hot summers!
  • Location: Wakefield, West Yorkshire
    10 hours ago, Catacol said:

    Latest Metoffice update has the 3.4 region dropping to -1.5 or maybe lower... though some members are less cold. This isnt good. Takes Nina forcing into 1988/89 or 1998/99 territory. 

    nino34_anom_20171101.png

    If anyone wants to know what the "3.4 region" is.....

    https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/teleconnections/enso/indicators/sst.php

    • Thanks 3
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall obviously.
  • Location: Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
    On 12/11/2017 at 08:10, lorenzo said:

     

     

    gltotaam_sig.90day.thumb.gif.f7022c6ccdc322664d4ab0fd3ae2e644.gifgwo_90d.thumb.gif.829b743a79e5f2088d6b0ab3c8b74ac0.gif

     

     

    Hey, where do you get these plots from? Thanks.

    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Reigate, Surrey
  • Location: Reigate, Surrey
    11 hours ago, Catacol said:

    Latest Metoffice update has the 3.4 region dropping to -1.5 or maybe lower... though some members are less cold. This isnt good. Takes Nina forcing into 1988/89 or 1998/99 territory. 

    nino34_anom_20171101.png

    I think 1.5 is the peak dip though - not the 3 monthly figure; take 88/89, the 3 month figure at the low was -1.8 for the 3 monthly period of Nov, Dec, Jan - which would be quite a lot stronger that the 3 month figure predicted in that MO graph.

    http://origin.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/ensostuff/ONI_v5.php

    I don't think La Nina will be major this coming winter - we've had a couple of noticeable positive burst in the SOI - but nothing that screams major Nina in-coming (yet at least):

    https://www.longpaddock.qld.gov.au/seasonalclimateoutlook/southernoscillationindex/30daysoivalues/

    Assuming that's true, then this La Nina, will not impact the stratosphere in the same way that the 89/89 98/99 events did. Those years also had a higher solar forcing than we've got now.

     

    • Like 2
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Posted
  • Location: Lincolnshire - 15m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.
  • Location: Lincolnshire - 15m asl
    22 minutes ago, beng said:

    I think 1.5 is the peak dip though - not the 3 monthly figure; take 88/89, the 3 month figure at the low was -1.8 for the 3 monthly period of Nov, Dec, Jan - which would be quite a lot stronger that the 3 month figure predicted in that MO graph.

    http://origin.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/analysis_monitoring/ensostuff/ONI_v5.php

    I don't think La Nina will be major this coming winter - we've had a couple of noticeable positive burst in the SOI - but nothing that screams major Nina in-coming (yet at least):

    https://www.longpaddock.qld.gov.au/seasonalclimateoutlook/southernoscillationindex/30daysoivalues/

    Assuming that's true, then this La Nina, will not impact the stratosphere in the same way that the 89/89 98/99 events did. Those years also had a higher solar forcing than we've got now.

     

    Agree with all of that. MetO forecast trend is towards a deeper Nina though - in this case I hope the trend isn't the friend. SOI all over the place this year so far though since June again the trend is quite clear

    2017.gif

    Looking for that trend to halt soon.

    • Like 1
    Link to comment
    Share on other sites

    Guest
    This topic is now closed to further replies.
     Share

    • Recently Browsing   0 members

      No registered users viewing this page.

    ×
    ×
    • Create New...