Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards


Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: Leigh On Sea - Essex & Tornado Alley
  • Location: Leigh On Sea - Essex & Tornado Alley

    GFS is interesting at the moment, would not be too sure about raging zonality for the rest of the month - Blocks are stubborn it certainly one to watch

    • Like 4
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 6.1k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Popular Posts

    Merry Xmas, To all on the South East thread. Didn't think I'd still be here, being able to celebrate Christmas, after suffering a brain haemorrhage/stroke, in September 2015. But fortunately, due

    Snowline has moved back across the water now so north kent / Surrey etc back in the fray - great wrap around as well heavy snow here in Eltham -1cm , wifey just text 0.2c in NAG with heavy snow a

    It is not showing 20cm for Reading whatsoever! I see he's a Reading student, I think he's trying to convince himself...

    Posted Images

    Posted
  • Location: Linslade, Beds
  • Weather Preferences: Deep cold
  • Location: Linslade, Beds
    11 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

    GFS is interesting at the moment, would not be too sure about raging zonality for the rest of the month - Blocks are stubborn it certainly one to watch

    The North Atlantic ridge seems to want to always make a return. We always seem to end up on the cold side of the jet. 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Ampthill, Bedfordshire
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
  • Location: Ampthill, Bedfordshire
    18 minutes ago, Angel Wings said:

    How about all those yummy daddies that think they on brands hatch and purposely wheel spin on the ice thinking they the big man ?? see it for myself yesterday and today , then when they get stuck and they can’t move they send their passenger out to give them a quick shove , then when they back in the move they do it again and slide all over the road , never learn ??

    Getting stuck in heavy snowfall on roads wheel spinning is allowed (be it Male or female) 

    Speeding down a road that is clearly icing over is NOT...

    Yummy mummies once again thinking their supreme to everyone and the environment - standard!! 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Dover Kent 10m asl/ Leeds W Yorks 120m asl
  • Location: Dover Kent 10m asl/ Leeds W Yorks 120m asl
    1 hour ago, Norfolk_N_chance said:

    How many more hours should we expect to see showers coming off the North Sea? I'm hoping that I might see a dusting of snow as we missed out on all of the fun yesterday. I'm 15 miles inland at the dizzy heights of 50 metres above sea level

    I'm about that in SE Kent. Outside the Met O warning though. I'm hopeful a few will cross into Kent. 

    However still sitting at 2 degrees here. I think the wind and partial cloud is preventing a plummet at the moment. 

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Rye East Sussex
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)
  • Location: Rye East Sussex
    46 minutes ago, TN9 said:

    Ide Hill near sevenoaks at lunch time today... 

    DSC_0326.JPG

    DSC_0342.JPG

    Screenshot_20171211-100744.png

    ide hill is awfull.

     

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Surrey/Hampshire border 86m/280ft asl
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms
  • Location: Surrey/Hampshire border 86m/280ft asl

    No ice here yet. Positively balmy compared to some of you lot 

    IMG_0525.PNG

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Gillingham, Kent
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!
  • Location: Gillingham, Kent

    Lots of PPN over the North Sea, should think some will hold enough steam to hit Kent, Medway possible. I’m hoping for a decent layer if I’m honest, more people are less inclined to drive in snow than seemingly clear roads that are actually ice...

     

    edit just looked outside and the cars are now covered in a good ice layer for the most part, even the larger puddles are starting to firm up.

     

    Edited by throwoff
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Chelmsford
  • Location: Chelmsford
    21 minutes ago, Ben Lewis said:

    Getting stuck in heavy snowfall on roads wheel spinning is allowed (be it Male or female) 

    Speeding down a road that is clearly icing over is NOT...

    Yummy mummies once again thinking their supreme to everyone and the environment - standard!! 

    They were not stuck , they were purposely doing it , he was throwing his steering wheel left and right so he could purposely slide in the snow, I live on a road that is a cut through and have had loads in cars and vans purposely wheel spinning because they think it’s funny and cool ?, not giving a care about other cars parked up or going into them 

    and are you insinuating I am one of them mummies ??? 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: South Norfolk, 44 m ASL.
  • Weather Preferences: Not a fan of heatstroke.
  • Location: South Norfolk, 44 m ASL.

    Still 3C here; I suspect we'll stay mild enough overnight to avoid problems tomorrow.  Models agreeing on mild from next week; ECM in particular suggests temperatures well above average, and this seems to want to continue well past Christmas.  I may be reconsidering my abandonment of TMW...:D

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Medway - 57m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, snowy winters and thunderstorms!
  • Location: Medway - 57m ASL

    Had a resurgence of snow at lunchtime but all melted again now. Absolutely freezing outside.

     

    It's amazing how many people completely lose the ability to drive in a bit of snow, the worst culprits seem to be 4x4's. That's literaly what your car is made for!

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Beccles, Suffolk.
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
  • Location: Beccles, Suffolk.
    6 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

    Still 3C here; I suspect we'll stay mild enough overnight to avoid problems tomorrow.  Models agreeing on mild from next week; ECM in particular suggests temperatures well above average, and this seems to want to continue well past Christmas.  I may be reconsidering my abandonment of TMW...:D

    Down to 4C here now...occasional rain showers.:lazy:

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Bedfordshire 33m above mean sea level
  • Location: Bedfordshire 33m above mean sea level

    Nasty road aside, they had much more snow further in the village and everyones got their Christmas lights on and it looks lovely in the laying snow. 

    • Like 3
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Ampthill, Bedfordshire
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
  • Location: Ampthill, Bedfordshire
    13 minutes ago, Angel Wings said:

    They were not stuck , they were purposely doing it , he was throwing his steering wheel left and right so he could purposely slide in the snow, I live on a road that is a cut through and have had loads in cars and vans purposely wheel spinning because they think it’s funny and cool ?, not giving a care about other cars parked up or going into them 

    and are you insinuating I am one of them mummies ??? 

    Of course not. 

    Unless you where yoga pants to a coffee shop and drive a 4x4 whilst thinking you own the world with no job :-) 

    St Albans & Harpenden = full of em!

    Jokes aside, I agree with you, a lot tend to love a wheel spin in winter weather. 

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Ampthill, Bedfordshire
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
  • Location: Ampthill, Bedfordshire
    8 minutes ago, Dami said:

    Nasty road aside, they had much more snow further in the village and everyones got their Christmas lights on and it looks lovely in the laying snow. 

    I know what you mean Dami. 

    Took the dogs out earlier, Christmas light backdrop against piled up snow on a driveway = very Christmassy!

    really seasonal and a lovely sight! 

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Locksbottom,kent 92m asl(310ft)
  • Weather Preferences: Warm summers but not too hot and colder winters with frost and snow
  • Location: Locksbottom,kent 92m asl(310ft)

    Today was a prime example where elevation really came into play for those that had snow that settled and those that didnt in this part of North Kent.I wish this part of the world was a minimum of 500ft asl and rose to 1000ft asl-that would have ensured that margainity wouldnt have come into play!!Rant over and the search begins for another cold spell as less cold weather comes in as the week progresses. That said really chuffed that a large number in the SE and large parts of the UK have had a decent snpw event already this winter and we are not yet mid december yet:)

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Horsham, West sussex, 52m asl
  • Location: Horsham, West sussex, 52m asl
    17 minutes ago, Lauren said:

    Had a resurgence of snow at lunchtime but all melted again now. Absolutely freezing outside.

     

    It's amazing how many people completely lose the ability to drive in a bit of snow, the worst culprits seem to be 4x4's. That's literaly what your car is made for!

    most 4x4 drivers don't own them for their abilities.... they also think that because they are 4x4 they are invincible and they can drive like they usually would in any conditions....

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Canmore, AB [4296ft above sea level] & North Kent [350ft above sea level]
  • Location: Canmore, AB [4296ft above sea level] & North Kent [350ft above sea level]

    Lots of assumptions going on here. Having just bought a 4x4 for my daily commute to London I loved it this weekend. I for one know that when you hit the ice doesn’t mater if you’ve got the best 4x4 you’re gonna skid when you break on it. Drove for 10 years in Canada. That’ll teach you the quick way lol 

    • Like 3
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: St rads Dover
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
  • Location: St rads Dover
    2 hours ago, sunnijim said:

    One last 'arty' shot of a South coast snow day.

    Hard pushed to remember 70mph gusts one day and a blizzard  that sticks the day after!

    20171211_161324.jpg

    20171211_165357.jpg

    We had 70mph gust today too. Only 50 yesterday. That's when the sleet blizzrd I spoke about earlier was.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Herstmonceux, East Sussex
  • Weather Preferences: extremes of any sort
  • Location: Herstmonceux, East Sussex

    To be fair. The 4x4 bit makes the least difference on ice. It’s about Tyres. Low profile summer tyres mean you are going no where. Winter tyres with proper compound will be better on a rwd auto.

    No wheels spinning or worst driving here. But in snow and ice people seem to have a brain freeze also. Saw one car attempt a 3 point turn in a slushy junction off a main road high street, it’s even more stupid as there is a roundabout 50yards ahead!

    i don’t think people should be judged by the vehicles they drive or the ‘trousers’ they wear to buy coffee. But the coffee they buy. That’s a different matter, Starbucks, yuck!

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Ampthill, Bedfordshire
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Heat, Cold, Sun
  • Location: Ampthill, Bedfordshire
    2 minutes ago, c00ps said:

    Lots of assumptions going on here. Having just bought a 4x4 for my daily commute to London I loved it this weekend. I for one know that when you hit the ice doesn’t mater if you’ve got the best 4x4 you’re gonna skid when you break on it. Drove for 10 years in Canada. That’ll teach you the quick way lol 

    It’s not assumptions.

    Alot (not all) 4x4 drivers think their invisible to all weathers (the ones that I see anyway) 

    Starting with the 4 jobless mums that live at the bottom of my road who all drive a 4x4 and speed like its a summer evening with iced snow melt on the road. 

    Owning a 4x4 is no issue for me, it’s their mentality that annoys me. 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Herstmonceux, East Sussex
  • Weather Preferences: extremes of any sort
  • Location: Herstmonceux, East Sussex
    8 minutes ago, c00ps said:

    Lots of assumptions going on here. Having just bought a 4x4 for my daily commute to London I loved it this weekend. I for one know that when you hit the ice doesn’t mater if you’ve got the best 4x4 you’re gonna skid when you break on it. Drove for 10 years in Canada. That’ll teach you the quick way lol 

    Agree! Completely. Some people buy 4x4 as that the largest safest thing they can afford and that makes sense. Especially for some who commute large distances etc   

    We have a number of 4x4s each do a different job and some are used just on the road, because they are big, fast and comfortable! 

    P.s we garage a couple so they look like proper Chelsea tractors but so actually go off-road. Learnt my lesson going down a track in a 4wd 911 and grounded out and got a nail in a rear tyre. That was an expensive mistake. 

    And ended up facing wrong way a few times in a Subaru in Canada. Proper tyres and everything and some ice there is nothing you can do! Only go as fast as you want to hit something I was once told. Like docking a ship. 

    Edited by jgbgt
    Addition infor
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Horsham, West sussex, 52m asl
  • Location: Horsham, West sussex, 52m asl
    Just now, jgbgt said:

    To be fair. The 4x4 bit makes the least difference on ice. It’s about Tyres. Low profile summer tyres mean you are going no where. Winter tyres with proper compound will be better on a rwd auto.

    No wheels spinning or worst driving here. But in snow and ice people seem to have a brain freeze also. Saw one car attempt a 3 point turn in a slushy junction off a main road high street, it’s even more stupid as there is a roundabout 50yards ahead!

    i don’t think people should be judged by the vehicles they drive or the ‘trousers’ they wear to buy coffee. But the coffee they buy. That’s a different matter, Starbucks, yuck!

    you are right about the tyres but not rear wheel drive, front wheel drive is more controllable in slippery conditions. the most important thing, no matter what you drive, is to drive appropriate to the conditions i.e. select higher gears and no hard braking. also allow much longer distances for braking.

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Strood, Kent, 19 feet above sea level
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
  • Location: Strood, Kent, 19 feet above sea level
    1 minute ago, Ben Lewis said:

    It’s not assumptions.

    Alot (not all) 4x4 drivers think their invisible to all weathers (the ones that I see anyway)  

    Completely agree - The number of times I've had a 4x4 driver just pull out and cut me off thinking they own the road.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: St rads Dover
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
  • Location: St rads Dover
    1 hour ago, Ben Lewis said:

    Living on a side road that doesn’t get gritted - the yummy mummies in their 4x4 whizzing down with not a care in the world. 

    Absolute numties... I hope they smash there 67 plate ranges into a tree tomorrow on their way to Starbucks in their yoga pants. Pffft... 

    My road is so icy already - at 6pm 

    They Don't grit this entire village, one road in and out, buses normally Don't come up when it' snow or ice, cause they can't get up the hill.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Guest
    This topic is now closed to further replies.
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...