Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

34 minutes ago, weathergeek said:

You lot were definitely made of tougher stuff but you were also living in completely different times! No Health and Safety Laws, schools not at risk of being sued if not made perfectly safe for the kids, most kids walked to school whereas these days most kids are not only driven but driven by parents who are also having to rush off to work so don't have time to drive carefully.... Plus there were a lot less people trying to get to these places, the primary and secondary schools in my area have literally doubled in size compared to 30yrs ago when I was there!

It's sad but it's today's society's reality unfortunately!

As you say, many are driven to school and part of today's problem is that it is so easy to send a round robin E-Mail, or telephone to say school is cancelled.

I wonder whether the cancellation is ever due to the reluctance of the staff to make their way in, if that is the case, aren't they setting a bad example?

• Like 1
  • Replies 6.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Merry Xmas, To all on the South East thread. Didn't think I'd still be here, being able to celebrate Christmas, after suffering a brain haemorrhage/stroke, in September 2015. But fortunately, due

Snowline has moved back across the water now so north kent / Surrey etc back in the fray - great wrap around as well heavy snow here in Eltham -1cm , wifey just text 0.2c in NAG with heavy snow a

It is not showing 20cm for Reading whatsoever! I see he's a Reading student, I think he's trying to convince himself...

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, Frostbite1980 said:

Still not buying it with the position of the low right now....I think a correction west by say maybe 50 miles! Rain or snow, I still think anyone over 150m could see something of interest! Now I really am going to sleep lol 

Historically these sort of set ups have produce a pile of snow for the South East. Lets just say that I will be very surprised if there is not more widespread snowfall for inland areas than what is currently being predicted.:)

fax24s.gif

Edited by snowray
  • Like 1
Just now, snowray said:

Historically these sort of set ups have produce a pile of snow for the South East, lets just say that I will be very surprised if there is not more widespread snowfall for inland areas that what is currently being predicted.:)

fax24s.gif

Last channel low, 2013 really pounded the south coast, where I live was cut of for three days. I Didn't live here then though. In fact the whole of Dover was cut off. But we were cut off from the town too.

21 minutes ago, SteveyKemp58 said:

Now that todays snow event is finally over and tomorrow looking a bit too marginal I can safely say...

xZJmAf8.jpg

OMG that’s a classic! :D you certainly need a good sense of humour if you’re a UK snow lover!

• Like 2

Precip pep-up ahead of the incoming LPS, highlighted on nw-radar.

Out to the west of london around reading.

And rapidly turning to snow' as snapshots 'highlight'....

Could be a pre-cursor!??

Screenshot_2017-12-11-00-10-08.png

Screenshot_2017-12-11-00-09-22.png

Edited by tight isobar
15 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Last channel low, 2013 really pounded the south coast, where I live was cut of for three days. I Didn't live here then though. In fact the whole of Dover was cut off. But we were cut off from the town too.

All I'm saying is that this is a classic old school set up, milder air is behind the front so the coast will be mainly rain this time, but there is a lot of cold air at the surface just slightly inland and over the snowfields and uppers of around -5c, looks good enough to me.:cold:

• Like 1
1 minute ago, SteveyKemp58 said:

Currently 0.5c here with a dew point of 0c, maybe some wishful thinking will give me a better chance! 

snowmageddon.jpg

I was trying wishful thinking lol. May work for you, I'm to close to the east coast for an easterly wind to not warm us up at this time of year. Hopefully the sea temps will be cold enough next time.

1 hour ago, alexisj9 said:

Think system is going east now. Is it far enough north?

I know you watch XC, as I do. So you can see those DPs rising as the storm approaches. Not good. Does not bode well when DPs on the up even @ this early stage.

Front way to far north, temps way to high as a result for snow, all the snow from yesterday is gone, I assume melting taking place in other areas with more snow too. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Front way to far north, temps way to high as a result for snow, all the snow from yesterday is gone, I assume melting taking place in other areas with more snow too. 

I've still got some snow here 20% remaining the far SE temperatures are too high but quite widely temperatures are between 0-2C cold enough for snow however issue is my dew point which is +1C. 

19 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I've still got some snow here 20% remaining the far SE temperatures are too high but quite widely temperatures are between 0-2C cold enough for snow however issue is my dew point which is +1C. 

Certainly something wintry mixed in here but not snow, very sleety, maybe it will turn back to snow I don't know.. 

3 minutes ago, Surrey said:

Certainly something wintry mixed in here but not snow, very sleety, maybe it will turn back to snow I don't know.. 

I sense evaporative cooling will be needed to low levels. The radar looks good shame conditions are not more favourable.