Holidays
Local
Radar
Pollen
Captain Shortwave

SE and East Anglia generalweather discussion 08/11/2017 onwards

Bit less rain & more snow on the coast now. 

Sucks that we have to rely on the French for storms and Russia for settling snow here! 

If I see snow falling here, I reckon everywhere else in our region will already have done. I think this is the last bastion of sleety 'warmth'. 5m asl, surrounded on 3 sides by sea, too close to the centre of the low. Proper hairy out there!

• Like 2

Very heavy snow falling and rapidly settling on all surfaces here in Hastings/St Leonards-on-Sea. Current temperature 1.1c

• Like 3

Rain/ sleet now turning to snow in Chelmsford. As the low moves away and drags in Easterlies I think more of us will see this transition. Local temp 2.3C

7 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I stand corrected. Is Sevenoaks high up? @SnowBorder

According to the met office website, Sevenoaks is 145 metres above sea level. 

Wonder if the areas reporting snow are far enough south whereby the flow has a shortish sea track off the continent - looking at the surface winds Kent is pretty well due east.

2 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

I stand corrected. Is Sevenoaks high up? @SnowBorder

I'm right at sea level. In the bottom picture that's a tidal river from the sea. In the last ten minutes it's just started to settle on roofs and grass. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5

Good Morning everyone.

A horrible day here in Chelmsford, with rain, heavy at time interspersed with short bursts of sleet with the odd flake of snow. We are in the latest Met Office warning but my house is only just over 20 metres above sea level and so I am not expecting to see any snow unless I build a very tall structure and stand on top of it.

I can remember before I retired working in Euston Tower which is a 31 storey office block with our company occupying the 27th floor. On some occasions I saw snowflakes gliding past the  window, but by the time it had reached near to ground level it had turned to rain.

It is a slushy mess outside now but the childrens' snowman is still standing proud. If it freezes tonight the roads and  pavements will be very dangerous tomorrow morning.

Kind Regards

Dave.

3 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

If only I knew my precise latitude & longitude!:D

if you just drop the pin it does it for you? 

( sorry if you're being sarcastic and im being thick, lol)

Edited by Snow Slave

8 minutes ago, Ellozee said:

If I see snow falling here, I reckon everywhere else in our region will already have done. I think this is the last bastion of sleety 'warmth'. 5m asl, surrounded on 3 sides by sea, too close to the centre of the low. Proper hairy out there!

Can confirm sleety here in Greatstone, whilst up a ladder trying to secure the car port roof - Happy days :)

• Like 2

Well I’m 73.0 meters or 239.6 feet so not as high as I thought ..... so less chance of Any snow here then 😢😔

Edited by Angel Wings

Pepping up nicely here, not quite Scottish mountain white out conditions, but a credible effort. Have to say i’m ‘well chuffed’, was feeling pretty dismal and envious yesterday, even if it only lasts 24 hours or just 1 it’s a treat to see proper falling snow and it settling! :):cold::cold-emoji:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, kentcloud said:

Can confirm sleety here in Greatstone, whilst up a ladder trying to secure the car port roof - Happy days :)

Hope you've got someone footing that ladder! I managed to get my workload out of the way Saturday luckily so I'm not out in it today.. tomorrow looks a lot nicer although ironically two or three degrees colder!

15 hours ago, DonnaThw said:

Not for us I bet, I feel your pain. What a wet horrible day

here  rain rain and more rain:sorry:

edit...quote should not be there !

Edited by PLANET THANET

I have snow! well about 70% Snow 30% rain.

The grounds flooded so no chance it's gona lay. 

Southeast Kent, Romney Marsh

And as if by magic the rain is now starting to turn to sleet/snow here in galleywood, Chelmsford 😏❄️

5 minutes ago, DonnaThw said:

I'm right at sea level. In the bottom picture that's a tidal river from the sea. In the last ten minutes it's just started to settle on roofs and grass. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

I know the area well, nice place to live. I used to own a caravan in Winchelsea! Sleet here can’t be far off.

A truly horrid day here! Torrential rain all morning, the temperature is just above freezing and the wind is blowing!

Still a hefty covering from yesterday on everything except the roads. Hope it turns to proper snow at some stage as working outside in this isn't fun.

When that temperature drops tonight these roads are going to be lethal. Very dangerous conditions to come. 

• Like 2

Moderate snow in Marlow sticking on the snow already on the ground