Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
DiagonalRedLine

What Do You Like and Dislike About Autumn?

Do You Like Autumn?  

47 members have voted

  1. 1. Do You Like Autumn

    • Yes, it rocks!
      29
    • It's okay
      15
    • Ahhh, I hate it!
      3


Recommended Posts

autumn-06.thumb.jpg.075272ef1d525d27421446fc1315d4d6.jpg

Autumn is that time of year where the weather becomes cooler, trees become dazzling displays of vivid colours, nights get longer and mist weaves through the valleys like fluff! But Autumn isn't for everyone and there may be aspects about the season that you love and/or hate. What would you say you like or dislike about Autumn?

For me,

 

Positives:

59d10d92c0f9b_smileyface.jpg.3187f18fbf483b43967cf99f7cd0cf0d.jpg

- It's refreshing and feels like a fresh start to the academic year

- I love the magical transformation as the trees and shrubs change colour from green to various shades of yellow, orange, reds, pinks and purples. Makes the landscape look very pretty

- It can be cold enough for snow in Autumn (October 2008, November 2005 and November 2010 being examples of this here)

- Cold, sunny, frosty mornings make for some refreshing walks

 

Negatives:

59d10d9276966_sadface.jpg.5bcb8d52e07e24a992dd95988e7bff9d.jpg

- I like Summer better

- The shorter days (although the longer nights does make it great for watching films and playing computer games)

- Getting up while it's dark for work - mostly towards late Autumn - is quite depressing

- Cold, cloudy, drizzly days

- Harder to carry out outdoor activies due to the shorter days and my motivation is worse than it is in Spring and Summer

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Overall I do like Autumn. I like the fact it's not far from Winter, the first frosts normally happen & proper gales. I dislike having to clear leaves from the guttering and other places, starting to happen now!

Early to mid September most years are usually a bit boring. Sort of like Summer hanging on. We are now entering what I call the more interesting part of the year.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love the crispy sunny days especially in late autumn great for seeing them colours and even a good storm ain't bad at all.

Can't stand cold rain....chilled through to the bone isn't a good feeling at all but then again on days like these you can't beat the smell of a slow cooking stew being cooking all day when you get in from work on a cold wet dark evening...Just the best.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Like:

The first frost

Colours

Chance of cold nights and crisp, sunny days

First snowfall of winter in November (sometimes)

Dislike:

Weeks on end of 8-16C temps, wind, cloud and rain; but that goes for any season. A few days of it in October is seasonal, 3 months of it isn't (let alone most of the year as seems to have been happening a lot lately...)

Not having seen any semblance of cold by late November. 1994, 2000, 2006, 2009, 2011 I'm looking at you...

Clocks going back and plunging us into mid afternoon darkness. But when you've just had September 2017 which was so dull and wet it got dark some days at 4pm on BST...

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Likes:

The leaf colours - our local park is BEAUTIFUL during autumn.

Chance of cold weather: frosts, fog even a bit of snow (November 1993 and 2010 say hello ;) )

A good storm 

My Birthday (in November)

Dislikes:

The very dark mornings 

In the case of September (and in recent years October) not knowing how to dress. You can wear warm clothes and sweat, or wear light clothes and freeze.

October associated with something tragic in my life - but it's getting easier now. 

Edited by nn2013
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was definitely my favourite season when younger I'm not so sure now? Both Autumn and Winter rarely live up to expectations. I'm always taken aback how quick summer fades at this time of year as the light fading accelerates. Still love the colours of this time of year. Just wish there were more misty mornings, sunny days and big autumn storms. Dank seems to sum up much of the reality.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When I was younger in cooler times, autumn use to be my favourite season of the year but sadly now thanks to the "Christmas Pudding" I hate it.:(

I really love the bright, dry and crisp weather brought by inversion cold highs or even early northerly or easterly blasts with their variety of fogs, frosts and even snow.  I also love the cool and gentle showers that accompany cool westerly airstreams.  Another type of autumn weather I love and miss is cool drizzly and misty weather.

Sadly these days especially there is a lot of autumn weather I hate including "Indian Summer" mild weather, mild Atlantic mush and monster storms with their blowtorch zonality, monsoonal rains and hurricane force winds!

Edited by Lettucing Gutted
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the wind down into winter, with days and nights gradually getting colder, trees on the turn, etc.

I dislike the fact that it can still give you days +20 and then a few days later +10. Heating, no heating? Jumper, no jumper? Shorts one last night? I dislike the swings, basically. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Lettucing Gutted said:

When I was younger in cooler times, autumn use to be my favourite season of the year but sadly now thanks to the "Christmas Pudding" I hate it.:(

I really love the bright, dry and crisp weather brought by inversion cold highs or even early northerly or easterly blasts with their variety of fogs, frosts and even snow.  I also love the cool and gentle showers that accompany cool westerly airstreams.  Another type of autumn weather I love and miss is cool drizzly and misty weather.

Sadly these days especially there is a lot of autumn weather I hate including "Indian Summer" mild weather, mild Atlantic mush and monster storms with their blowtorch zonality, monsoonal rains and hurricane force winds!

This September was cooler than average Craig, you must have liked that?:D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 wet leaves  can take me all day to clear ,though I don't mind dry autumns 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the amazing colours you get here and the warm days and cool nights.

Dislike it's so short...trees have dropped their leaves already and the colours are nearly gone ..its snowing this morning which sucks..hopefully we can get a couple more warm weeks before winter hits for real.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/10/2017 at 17:19, Frost HoIIow said:

Overall I do like Autumn. I like  I dislike having to clear leaves from the guttering and other places, starting to happen now!

Yeah, that would be another disadvantage for me. Clearing and raking the leaves feels like a chore and adds unneeded stress. And you have to keep on top it it. Maybe not so bad though if listening to some funky music that helps me to get into the groove of leave clearing ;) 

Edited by DiagonalRedLine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing I like most about Autumn is the fact that it leads to Winter. I also like the gradual decline in daylight hours and the drop off in temperatures, leading hopefully to little tastes of Winter with the first frosts and from time to time snow (though these little tastes have been few to non existent in recent times). At least September this year has come in a little below average though, which may or not be a continuing trend for the season. I guess it's the fact that if there's any cold weather to come over the Autumn/Winter half of the year, at this point in time it's all ahead and to look forward to. I also like Halloween and Bonfire Night as I see them as stepping stones on the way to that big time of year of December and Christmas, by which time hopefully the Autumn transition is complete and Winter is here to enjoy (or not as is far too often the case). 

When it comes down to it though I somewhat view Autumn (as well as Spring) as merely corridors between what I would regard as the main seasons of Summer and Winter, with the other two pretty much serving as converters of one to the other. Sometimes the climate gets stuck in these corridors or just hovers around the entry points rather than stepping into the room fully and just sitting there a while, or it just marches through in the blink of an eye and goes back to loitering around in the corridor. Will we go fully into the room and sit down this year though is the question.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hate:

- The dank, increasingly dark evenings. Cycling to/from work in the dark isn't fun. Wet leaves are also a nightmare for cycling.

- Sweeping up all the leaves from my neighbour's tree.

- The horrible feeling that Spring is 6 months away.

- Halloween

Like:
 

- Bonfire Night

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ManiaMuse said:

Hate:

- The dank, increasingly dark evenings. Cycling to/from work in the dark isn't fun. Wet leaves are also a nightmare for cycling.

- Sweeping up all the leaves from my neighbour's tree.

- The horrible feeling that Spring is 6 months away.

- Halloween

Like:
 

- Bonfire Night

is bonfire night still a thing?..i thought that had been replaced by Halloween

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s my favourite time of year. I love the colours the darkness of the mornings and that gentle slide towards Christmas.

 

More importantly a decent autumn storm and gales. I may be odd but I love a dark wet gale blowing Sunday in November. I get the black and white films on from the 1940s 50s and it’s perfect. With a glass of mulled wine which start appearing in a certain German Supermarket. Lovely :)

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What i like about autumn is as others have also said  is the gentle slide towards winter. I used to love autumn for the anticipation of the coming winter season but nowadays there isnt much to anticipate anymore. Around Halloween is one of my fav times of the yr,the smell of dead leaves,that certain tone of sunlight as the sun gets ever lower in the sky. 

Hate when the azores high butts its nose in which makes much of autumn feel like an extended summer,thankfully that hasnt been much the case this autumn.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, philglossop said:

It’s my favourite time of year. I love the colours the darkness of the mornings and that gentle slide towards Christmas.

 

More importantly a decent autumn storm and gales. I may be odd but I love a dark wet gale blowing Sunday in November. I get the black and white films on from the 1940s 50s and it’s perfect. With a glass of mulled wine which start appearing in a certain German Supermarket. Lovely :)

its Plymouth so its pretty much wet windy and dark all year round must be heaven for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I truly do not like Autumn however the upside it gets closer to that "special" time of year for us coldies this September and October thus far has been very Autumnal a big change from recent years. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Walsall Wood Snow said:

When it comes down to it though I somewhat view Autumn (as well as Spring) as merely corridors between what I would regard as the main seasons of Summer and Winter, with the other two pretty much serving as converters of one to the other. Sometimes the climate gets stuck in these corridors or just hovers around the entry points rather than stepping into the room fully and just sitting there a while, or it just marches through in the blink of an eye and goes back to loitering around in the corridor. Will we go fully into the room and sit down this year though is the question.

Love the way you describe it! It just seems like in the last few years, we’ve ended up getting stuck in the never ending corridor of Autumn. Even when we tried to reach the room of Winter, we would end up getting stuck in the lift on the way up! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I absolutely loathe Autumn, have done for 40+ years...That said, I'm not averse to foggy mornings and the fact that the oppressive heat of (especially recent) summer has finally gone?

Other than that though, it's too dark, too damp and it's never cold enough for anything other than cold rain or sleet - both of which I also cannae stand.

Give me winter, Spring and summer any day!:)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

I absolutely loathe Autumn, have done for 40+ years...That said, I'm not averse to foggy mornings and the fact that the oppressive heat of (especially recent) summer has finally gone?

Other than that though, it's too dark, too damp and it's never cold enough for anything other than cold rain or sleet - both of which I also cannae stand.

Give me winter, Spring and summer any day!:)

autumn is too autumey for me too

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

its Plymouth so its pretty much wet windy and dark all year round must be heaven for you?

Actually whilst we do get a lot of gales and wet weather compared to a lot of Southern England, when it’s good here it can be spectacular. The only thing which annoys me weather wise is the national forecasting which will generally give us temps in summer a good 2 or 3 degrees lower than we normally actually get. So if they say 18c here when London or Southampton get forecast 22c, you can guarantee at least 20c.

Plus a lot of rain here in autumn/winter comes in the form of drizzle. Working outside that means you get wetter than frontal rain as a rule oddly. But we live with as it’s a price worth paying  for living in a lovely part of the UK. 

The only time it got wearing with rain gales was the winter 2013/14, by February and we’d lost the railway line and it was storm after storm it was just mind numbing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, DAVID SNOW said:

This September was cooler than average Craig, you must have liked that?:D

September 2017 was barely below average by the width of a whisker!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×