Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Snow?
The PIT

Storm Aileen - First Autumn Storm Tuesday night into Wednesday morning

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Surrey said:

So Heathrow outside of the warning areas takes seconds place last night with a gust of 63mph. I'm finding that hard to believe unless it was associated with some kind of shower. Have seen a fair few branches down on my way to work, did a 2 mile drive from the village I am in to the nearest town and stopped and moved 2 branches out the way. Nothing major damage wise from this one I don't think, just the usual branches and fences fallen down 

Confirmed by BBC London weather

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, LightningLover said:

Good point, it just seems so strong... Strongest I've seen it here since late 2016-ish?

According to this, we maxed out with a 59mph gust just after 01.00.

https://www.channelcoast.org/data_management/real_time_data/charts/?chart=101&tab=met&start=1505199000&end=1505285400&disp_option=1&datum=chart

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

cardiff had sustained winds of 40mph for a while and gusts of 60, so it would have been a lot windier in coastal areas. The warning was perfectly justified I think even if the exact location of the strongest gusts wasn't quite expected. Fortunately the worst of the winds were in the early hours with little traffic about.

Find the Heathrow gust hard to believe though. It's 45 minutes from  me and we only managed an occasional 40s gust

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aileen has got to be at least a category three hurricane, its done tremendous damage to the chair :(

8.jpg

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Beverley Lass said:

Although I was firmly in the Amber warning area, I haven't noticed
this to be much more than breezy.
Made lots of preps thinking it was going to be pretty bad.

B.

Think most of the wind was coastal, but alsi further south than thought over land. Sure ripped through here, branches everywhere. No trees down though that i know of.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Think most of the wind was coastal, but alsi further south than thought over land. Sure ripped through here, branches everywhere. No trees down though that i know of.

Yep looked as though it was slightly further south than first thought and the land gales much higher in the south than forcast. The 63mph gust at Heathrow last night has been confirmed now which is quite something for somewhere so far in land, seen a fair few branches down now I've been out and about this morning working 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Briefly got into gusts in the 40s last night but generally gusting in the 30s so could've been worse. Nevertheless, lots of leaves, small branches and one or two trees down. Cool and showery this morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Highest gust it reached here overnight was 34mph which is BFT Force 7 Near gale.

I saw it hit 30mph twice when I was outside in the garden when it was pretty gusty. Looks like there were gale force gusts across the southwest last night but I don't think any were around here as there probably would have been more tree damage.

Must have been more intense to the east as Heathrow hit 63mph which is a Storm force gust.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just been to the gym and noticed lots of debris on the ground. My daughters trike and a couple of garden chairs blew over because I left them in the middle of the garden not expecting significant gusts. Garden gate had also blown open. Still those who experienced Hurrican Irma are probably laughing at us and our high winds!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have to say I'm a little disappointed with Aileen, just a moderate breeze in the end and only 4 mm of rain. 

Edited by Chris.R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they just want to make it past F on the name list. We will rebuild. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Storm Aileen decapitated part of my fence I suppose it is in need of replacing.:rofl:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a gust of 60mph according to my weather station around 3am which doesn't happen that often around here, certainly woke me up.

Edited by phil b

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a strong gust here measuring 60mph, short and brief at around 3:30am. Reports that parts of Buxton were out of power due to tree debris falling on the lines but other than that Aileen wasn't more noticeable than a typical breezy winter's day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Plenty of leaves on the ground after last night but no branches. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty much a non event even though I was in an amber warning  zone ,small piece of polystyrene on lawn this morning I had to pick up :nonono:

Edited by Mokidugway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi guys I'm back, this is my first post with my new account :-)  I thought I'd join in with the discussion about Storm Aileen, so how was it for you folks?  It was nothing here to be perfectly honest, the odd 35-40mph gust in the wee hours of the morning which woke me up because my garden fence panels rattle around and bang a lot when the wind catches them, I know others have had it worse though. I was surprised to read about the 63mph gust recorded at Heathrow especially as there was no Met Office warnings in place for that region, I'm guessing there was a squall line passing through?...:cc_confused:  The rest of today has been a mixture of sunshine and blustery showers a couple of which around mid-afternoon where absolutely torrential, my work colleague said he heard thunder too although I can't say I noticed any although the 2nd downpour did have some hail in it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gusts topped 63mph here and there were a few branches down on the back lanes this morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, knightstorm87 said:

Hi guys I'm back, this is my first post with my new account :-)  I thought I'd join in with the discussion about Storm Aileen, so how was it for you folks?  It was nothing here to be perfectly honest, the odd 35-40mph gust in the wee hours of the morning which woke me up because my garden fence panels rattle around and bang a lot when the wind catches them, I know others have had it worse though. I was surprised to read about the 63mph gust recorded at Heathrow especially as there was no Met Office warnings in place for that region, I'm guessing there was a squall line passing through?...:cc_confused:  The rest of today has been a mixture of sunshine and blustery showers a couple of which around mid-afternoon where absolutely torrential, my work colleague said he heard thunder too although I can't say I noticed any although the 2nd downpour did have some hail in it.

 Hey:-)who were you before? 

Edited by Chris.R

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chris.R said:

 Hey:-) Where are you and who were you before? 

Hi Chris, my real name is Adam and I'm from Upminster. It's been a long while since I was last on here (probably last winter) when the weather got interesting for awhile, I can't remember my previous username exactly nor could I remember my password hence why I had to start fresh and create a new account but I'm quite certain that my previous username wasn't dissimilar to the one I have now!  :-)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, knightstorm87 said:

Hi Chris, my real name is Adam and I'm from Upminster. It's been a long while since I was last on here (probably last winter) when the weather got interesting for awhile, I can't remember my previous username exactly nor could I remember my password hence why I had to start fresh and create a new account but I'm quite certain that my previous username wasn't dissimilar to the one I have now!  :-)

Oh right thanks :-) yes welcome back. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×