Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Italy

knocker

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie

We will await the WMO, often takes a while.

0811sicilyhottest%20europeFP.png
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

Siracusa province, Sicily recorded 48.8C on 11th Aug 2021. Possibly a new European high, if verified by the WMO. Greece with 48.0C July 1977 is still the official record. Heat warnings and wildfires continue.

• Like 3

Posted

Was looking at a Met Office weather statistics book and Seville in Spain recorded 48.8 as their highest temperature.

The data was from between 1939 and 1960, between 61 and 82 years ago!

Posted
23 minutes ago, Airedalejoe said:

Was looking at a Met Office weather statistics book and Seville in Spain recorded 48.8 as their highest temperature.

The data was from between 1939 and 1960, between 61 and 82 years ago!

Was looking at previous european temps too.  Wikipedia seems to quote WMO records and has Cordoba in Spain at 47.3°C.  July 2017.  Don't know how credible this site is.  Interesting to see if Spain breaks records this weekend. Has the WMO confirmed the sicilian temp yet ot is it still provisional?

Posted
On 14/08/2021 at 11:28, Rush2112 said:

Was looking at previous european temps too.  Wikipedia seems to quote WMO records and has Cordoba in Spain at 47.3°C.  July 2017.  Don't know how credible this site is.  Interesting to see if Spain breaks records this weekend. Has the WMO confirmed the sicilian temp yet ot is it still provisional?

On 12/08/2021 at 16:17, Jo Farrow said:

We will await the WMO, often takes a while.

0811sicilyhottest%20europeFP.png
WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

Siracusa province, Sicily recorded 48.8C on 11th Aug 2021. Possibly a new European high, if verified by the WMO. Greece with 48.0C July 1977 is still the official record. Heat warnings and wildfires continue.

Compared to cities in southern Spain, southern Italian cities generally have lower summer averages, at the same latitude, thanks to the more peninsular climate, but the heat peaks are practically similar in certain situations.

• Like 3

Posted

According to some initial estimates, the summer of 2021 in Italy will be the fourth or fifth hottest. The hottest summer in Italy is still 2003, followed by the recent summer of 2017. The first 10 hottest summers in Italy are after 2002, except for 1950.

• Like 1

Posted
On 11/08/2021 at 22:24, DaveL said:

However ... Catania/Sigonella is 30 miles to the NNW of Syracuse, on the same coastline of Sicily, and recorded a maximum today of 44.4°C. Catania/Fontanarossa is near Sigonella and recorded a max of 44.0. Mezzo Gregorio is even closer and further inland, under 20 miles WSW of Syracuse and reported 43.6°C - albeit it's at 638m elevation. The Catania stations are at 22 and 11m respectively.

So unless sea breezes capped both Catania stations and not Siracusa, the new provisional record looks highly suspicious to my eyes.

Sorry for the delay in updates, in the last few days I was in Abruzzo for a short vacation and on August 20 my grandmother (99 years old) died. The summer of 2021 will probably be the hottest in Calabria and Sicily, especially in the eastern areas. In fact, in those lands there were very few breaks from the extreme heat ...
In contrast, in northern Italy this summer is not among the hottest, but it is quite similar to the summer of 2010, only the hottest period this time was in June, not July.
Until Tuesday it will still be very hot in southern Italy, even very muggy on the coasts and on the plains, while in northern Italy a thermal decline begins tomorrow, starting in the western regions.

• Like 3

Posted

Thank you for the update Josh Romano, I always appreciate hearing your weather news of Italy. Please accept my condolences on the death of your grandmother. I hope you and your family are as well as you can be at this time.

• Like 2

Posted
14 hours ago, andreas said:

Thank you for the update Josh Romano, I always appreciate hearing your weather news of Italy. Please accept my condolences on the death of your grandmother. I hope you and your family are as well as you can be at this time.

Thanks

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/cool all over the year. Winter favourite season

August until now has been very hot in Italy (especially in eastern and southern area), but the end will be cool 

Ireland could possibly have higher 850hPa temperatures than N Italy...

GFSOPEU06_102_2.png

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Federico said:

August until now has been very hot in Italy (especially in eastern and southern area), but the end will be cool 

Ireland could possibly have higher 850hPa temperatures than N Italy...

GFSOPEU06_102_2.png

Yes, exactly, temperatures have already dropped in northern Italy and in part of the center, thanks to the rains, while in the south they will drop from Friday. However, it remains a very hot August and in general the summer of 2021 was among the hottest in Italy, not in the north but in the center (especially the Adriatic side) and in the south. In Sicily and much of Calabria, I suspect that summer 2021 may be the hottest, beating 2003 or 2017, depending on the area (summer 2003 hit the western slopes the most, while summer 2017 was more generalized and with records even at high altitude).

• Like 2

Posted

We await the definitive data for summer 2021 in Italy, to understand if it will be the fourth or fifth hottest since 1900 .... I would like to point out the thermal drop in the last few days, very intense in northern Italy, more moderate and slower in southern Italy, non-existent in Sicily ... In the next few days I will go to Milan for work but I will continue to update you from there.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
On 07/09/2021 at 16:36, Sardinian said:

Hi. I'm a 27 years old boy. I live in Porto Torres, a small town located on the coast, in the north-west of Sardinia

Welcome to the Forum Sardinian.

• Like 2

Posted

Two dead in Pantelleria. A tornado rips through the island. September, until how, is hotter and dryer than average in Northern Italy, while in Southern Italy every day there are thunderstorms

For yesterday LAMs had forecast until to 200-250 mm in 6 hours in south-east Sardinia, but fortunately their forecasts were wrong

• Thanks 3

Posted
22 hours ago, Sardinian said:

Two dead in Pantelleria. A tornado rips through the island. September, until how, is hotter and dryer than average in Northern Italy, while in Southern Italy every day there are thunderstorms

For yesterday LAMs had forecast until to 200-250 mm in 6 hours in south-east Sardinia, but fortunately their forecasts were wrong

Welcome! The summer of 2021 in Italy was the sixth hottest since 1900. Even September has been very hot so far, with greater positive anomalies in the north.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Josh Romano said:

Welcome! The summer of 2021 in Italy was the sixth hottest since 1900. Even September has been very hot so far, with greater positive anomalies in the north.

In the next week probably it will be hot in Southern Italy, specially Sicily and Sardinia. At 850 hPa GFS and ECMWF predict 22°C-23°C

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
On 12/09/2021 at 08:09, Josh Romano said:

I don't know where you get your information from but it looks like you have been very mislead.  Italy has not had the sixth hottest summer sine 1900. Italy was much warmer in the 1950s for instance and the late 1800s than it is now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 hours ago, ANYWEATHER said:

I don't know where you get your information from but it looks like you have been very mislead.  Italy has not had the sixth hottest summer sine 1900. Italy was much warmer in the 1950s for instance and the late 1800s than it is now

Evidence please?

Posted

So far it has been a very hot September all over Italy but from tomorrow a phase of severe bad weather begins in some northern regions, which will gradually extend to the central ones and to part of the southern regions. Temperatures will drop in the north but will remain summer in southern Italy still for several days.

• Like 2

Posted

Today until to 200 mm of rain has fallen in Northern Apennines, between Parma and Massa; in Milan Malpensa Airport 86 mm in 6 hours, where some car drivers have been saved from fire fighters. It's a typical rainy day in which winds blow from south-west (called "leveche"): in this case the great amount of rain fall in Northern Apennines and in Alps at the east of Ticino river, while west Piedmont suffers of rain shadow, because of the presence of Maritime Alps. Very hot in Southern Italy, 36°C in Foggia (Apulia) and in Cosenza (Calabria) 

• Like 2

Posted

Today in Piedmont and Lombardy, near Lake Maggiore, it's a very rainy day. In Varese province many stations have registered more than 100 mm from midnight, locally more than 150 mm. In Western Alps the first snow of the autumn season has fallen, above 2600/2700 meters

In Catania 37°C

Edited by Sardinian
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

• Like 1

Posted
On 17/09/2021 at 18:17, Sardinian said:

Today in Siracusa has been registered a temperature of 39,3°C. In Sicily temperatures probably will be above +18°C at 850 hPa for another week. 

September is also proving very hot in Italy. An intense heat wave is expected in the south in the coming days.

• Like 2