Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion 01/09/17

phil nw.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
3 minutes ago, DJ RY said:

Big change there, yesterday it was showing temperatures up to a balmy 21C in the south next Sunday 

Here comes the second go with a more favourably shaped ridge.

gfsnh-0-240_ikz8.png

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, DJ RY said:

Big change there, yesterday it was showing temperatures up to a balmy 21C in the south next Sunday 

If this comes off I would be much happier if it was a month later. But beggars can't be choosers I suppose. 

• Like 1

Posted

Snow for inland areas even quite far South!!

gfs-0-324_lpu8.png

prectypeuktopo.png

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 7

Posted
10 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Here comes the second go with a more favourably shaped ridge.

gfsnh-0-240_ikz8.png

Temps widely into single figures, and snow over the high ground in the north I would think.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.

Yes the 6z likes to realy cool things off, With much more seasonal charts on offer, High Pressure pushing well up into Greenland blocking the Atlantic bringing a cold Northerly flow turning N/E towards the end of the run into Wk2. All a long way off, But interesting all the same. Not disregarding the models are realy struggling currently as they tend to at this time of year..

viewimage-11.thumb.png.ba8d1cced5acf653c96258317c0b0114.pngviewimage-20.thumb.png.3cba133b9cb9603430b3b16a6cbaef84.pngviewimage-15.thumb.png.c468a87af046e8c7893b189dfe2f061d.png

• Like 7

Posted

The aforementioned evolution not without support on the GEFS either, not overwhelmingly so but its starting to get a tiny bit more troughy on the mean that tad further South to the East of us.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
22 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Yes the 6z likes to realy cool things off, With much more seasonal charts on offer, High Pressure pushing well up into Greenland blocking the Atlantic bringing a cold Northerly flow turning N/E towards the end of the run into Wk2. All a long way off, But interesting all the same. Not disregarding the models are realy struggling currently as they tend to at this time of year..

viewimage-11.thumb.png.ba8d1cced5acf653c96258317c0b0114.pngviewimage-20.thumb.png.3cba133b9cb9603430b3b16a6cbaef84.pngviewimage-15.thumb.png.c468a87af046e8c7893b189dfe2f061d.png

Looking quite good for some coastal convection, too...:D

• Like 2

Posted

A rather cold northerly airstream evident as early as T+174 Sidney has scarpered I appreciate the consistency from the GFS. I feel this November is going to be 'interesting'. 

image.thumb.jpeg.4b404976c02541bff1ba04e569b27eb0.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thundery summers, very snowy winters! Huge Atlantic Storms!

Models cooling down the UK into November is looking interesting, although once it's within T+100 I'll take notice more (well I'll try not to take notice until then!).

• Like 1

Posted

Been on the cards for days now (Ensembles) its now appearing on the op runs a welcome cool down for Western Europe now just to get it in the more reliable period. First frost of the year for many maybe even a wintry shower in the far North.

gfsnh-1-192.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

It always seemed like there was a chance showing this week of something much cooler for the end of Oct/start of nov ,seems to have slowly but surely gathered some momentum.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Blizzards, Storms, Hot, Foggy - Infact everything

Starting to look like winter might be starting early this year. There is certainly increasing evidence of a cold pattern taking hold as we move into November. Models look increasingly promising. The trend is are friend.     

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Varied and not extreme.
59 minutes ago, Ross Andrew Hemphill said:

Models cooling down the UK into November is looking interesting, although once it's within T+100 I'll take notice more (well I'll try not to take notice until then!).

I tend to take the view that, given the greater experience the models receive in terms of our prevailing mild, zonal winter weather, when cold is showing, I like to see it get within t+96, or even t+72 before I allow myself to get too interested.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Blizzards, Storms, Hot, Foggy - Infact everything

I just like the rinse and repeat pattern which just seems to be being set up by the models on the whole, where we may not get decent cold first time but down the line we do. This is the models output discussion thread after all. And yes of course everything is always more certain within 96 hours, I just think the charts are increasingly promising to my eyes. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

Quite a change over the past 24 hours. The ECM shows this nicely coparing todays day 5 chart and yesterdays day 6.

ECM1-120.GIF   ECM1-144.GIF

A flatter upstream pattern results in a weak dig southwards of cold air in the Atlantic and a faster process of cutting that low off, hence a less pronounced burst of warmth from the south. So even by Friday a cooler north westerly flow will be developing. 

A word of caution on those cold looking charts in week 2, the same scenario could occur which could scupper a potential cold plunge if the models have over amplified any northerly flow at the very end of the month. That said the evolution in question (The initial burst of warth with pressure building close to the UK and then retrogressing is supported by the MJO progression). It is a question of whether the models are over-egging the responsible by making it too dramatic or indeed too quick. Still the pattern remains interesting going forward.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 8

Posted

So what with the ecm this evening. No problem by Thursday 00 with the split upper trough to the west and amplification underway. Thus the surface analysis of a surface low SSE of Iceland, another away to the south west and the Euro high pushing north  So a classic N/S split with the north under the influence of the low and the south the HP. Similar to the previous run except the norther low a little more advanced thus squashing the ridge somewhat.

By midday Friday the low has tracked east to be north of Scotland but there are further complications as the front associated with the low to the south west (which still has a connection the other trough) has developed little waves on it and all travel north east  to impact, with rain, England and Wales on Friday. The front and rain track quickly south east leaving the UK in a showery north westerly by midday Saturday

Twenty four hours later the next deep upper trough has emerged from N. Canada and is over Iceland (The same pattern change that has dropped a very cold upper trough over eastern N. America) and this completes the job of squashing the Euro high and plunges the UK into a strong westerly flow, albeit still tending a north south split with temps around average maybe a little above.

I still wouldn't like to bet the bank on the detail for next weekend and beyond.

ecm_mslp_uv850_natl_7.thumb.png.f7d73059ee752117011196b9fd0d8e94.pngecm_mslp_uv850_natl_8.thumb.png.cdf24998eb28be46d81134ccbed3bbe2.pngecm_mslp_uv850_natl_9.thumb.png.f70d776964b73ad0226ca6d081c56077.png

ecm_t850a_5d_natl_11.thumb.png.ea0ab6ad8383a16dc645c9dfebbc18ad.png

Edited by knocker
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper Seasons,lots of frost and snow October to April, hot summers!
1 hour ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

I tend to take the view that, given the greater experience the models receive in terms of our prevailing mild, zonal winter weather, when cold is showing, I like to see it get within t+96, or even t+72 before I allow myself to get too interested.

My view as well. Firstly, it'll probably be too little, too late for the cold air to bring about air-frost before the end of the month: For most of us, that is. 

Secondly, the various models can fast change their outlook in a matter of days,  so I don't consider the forecast cold-weather pattern to be "In the Bag" unless the predictions are consistent across a range of (Ensemble)  Models for within five days ahead! 

So, I'll not be getting my hopes up yet!! 

Ian Pennell 

Edited by iapennell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

With northerlies showing up on weather models, more often or not, it's here today gone tomorrow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Late to the session,been a bit busy but just to reflect on what has been said above,i would like to add a little bit more meat to the bones as you would say

the latest NAO and AO ens are showing a more neg trend than yesterday with some dropping to -4 on the AO,and the 8-14 day 500mb outlook from NOAA reflects this with a trough over Scandinavia and high pressure in the atlantic ridging into Greenland,blocky! blocky!

nao.sprd2.gifao.sprd2.gif814day.03.gif

London,German and dutch ens all trending cooler from around the turn of the month(November)

ensemble-tt6-london.gifpluim_06260_0_12_60.pngeps_pluim_tt_06260.png

There is a couple of things niggling at me though that this attempt could be a false dawn and we(as we say it every year)may need a few more bites at that cherry again:laugh:

let the interesting times begin:)

Edited by Allseasons-si
  • Like 8