Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?

Posted

SXM expected to be open by Friday, obviously not to commercial traffic but the dutch have resourced in the air with a C130 and KC101 on the way. Currently the runway is being cleared of debris for the 2x aircraft to arrive.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

It was the Irma blast challenge and the island was blown away.  

Posted

Over the last hour the eye appears to have become more symmetrical and clearer  after having been quite ragged this morning. A sign of further intensification? If so bad news for Turks and Caicos :(

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
9 minutes ago, FetchCB said:

Over the last hour the eye appears to have become more symmetrical and clearer  after having been quite ragged this morning. A sign of further intensification? If so bad news for Turks and Caicos :(

Are there any live cams there?

Posted
1 minute ago, LightningLover said:

Are there any live cams there?

Not that I can find

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but Rain!
  • Location: Border of N.Yorks / W.Yorks / Lancashire - 350m asl
Just now, FetchCB said:

Not that I can find

Assuming they have power their has to be as they are about the most populated of the small island 'nations'.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

Update 11 a.m.: A hurricane watch has been issued for the Florida Peninsula from Jupiter Inlet south, including Lake Okeechobee.

A storm surge watch has also been issued for Jupiter Inlet south around the peninsula to Bonita Beach including the Florida Keys.

A watch is issued 48 hours before hurricane or storm surge conditions are expected in the area.

As of the 11 a.m. advisory, Hurricane Irma was down to 17

http://weatherplus.blog.palmbeachpost.com/2017/09/07/hurricane-watches-warnings-expected-today-for-south-florida/

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder / lightning, Freezing rain, snow, ice and blizzards!

According to the latest recon, still cranking out 172mph but pressure has increased.

Yes not looking too good for T&C, going right through it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
1 hour ago, FetchCB said:

Although its "only"  126 knots, based on this research back in 2000 http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/aboutwindprofile.shtml

and the fact that there are a number of buildings in Miami that are 200m high the tops of the building will be experiencing 180mph winds - Cat5

Ominously this article states that building regs are built to 175mph

http://www.miami.com/miami-news/should-you-ride-out-a-hurricane-in-a-high-rise-170895/

"

The cooling tower atop high-rises is the thing that keeps the AC running throughout the building. In the case of a hurricane, the unit’s breakers will be shut off for safety, so get ready to sweat.

At least you don’t have to worry about the tower getting blown off the roof. According to Jose Carmero, building director for the City of Miami, cooling towers are built to sustain winds of 175 mph, just like the rest of the building.

“They are secure,” Carmero says. “I’d only worry about them if we had a storm that had 200 mph winds. In that case, I’m not so sure.”

em oops, springs to mind. However I somehow do not think they could be built any stronger. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow.

I was just reading up on Hurricane Andrew and how the wind damage was intense, but was actually over a fairly small area (Kendell > Key Largo see here). 

Tides were generally between 4 to 6 ft (1.2 to 1.8 m) above normal in the Biscayne Bay area, though near the Burger King International Headquarters, tides reached as high as 16.9 ft (5.2 m) above normal. Storm surge on the west coast was widespread but generally light, with a peak height of 6 ft (1.8 m) in Everglades City and Goodland. Strong winds from the storm were confined to a relatively small area, stretching from Key Largo to the Miami Beach area. 

High Tide in Miami is 2.9ft at 11.49pm on Saturday evening or 2.7ft on Sunday at 11:12pm

Edited by Barking_Mad

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder / lightning, Freezing rain, snow, ice and blizzards!
26 minutes ago, cowdog said:

Assuming they have power their has to be as they are about the most populated of the small island 'nations'.

Try this one though its timing out now for me, probably got a massive amount of traffic...

http://livecam.thesomerset.com

You can also try facebooklive one popped up there a little while ago but has since gone offline.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
2 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

Whilst beautiful on the Ventusky site, you cant help but feel shock and sadness of what Irma is doing on the ground....

Clearly you can see Jose hot on the tails of Irma....but what is out there behind Jose?...seems to be a low developing or something and I suspect most of you are already on this, but am not up to speed...

Irma.png

That may be Katia?

Posted
Just now, alexisj9 said:

em oops, springs to mind. However I somehow do not think they could be built any stronger. 

Not as high might be a good idea tho. much like Houston it seems the developers dependency on a once in a 500 year chance not being in their lifetime may come back to haunt them.

The Panaorama Tower which at 265m is the highest isnt due to be completed until the end of the year and presumambly not fully compliant. scroll down to the bottom

https://www.thenextmiami.com/miamis-six-tallest-towers-construction/

As an aside apparently the cranes that on building sites have even less resiliency to storms

Posted

Can anyone recommend any good apps for a smartphone? I'm going out tonight and I would like to keep track of this (I am blaming you guys for that :-) ) - thanks in advance.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow! Severe storms.

Here's someone on the T&C Isles who is hoping to broadcast as often as possible:

https://www.facebook.com/livemap/#@21.06399706324597,-69.8291015625,5z

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and snow but not together
17 minutes ago, Alpine glow said:

That may be Katia?

2 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

No she's in the gulf near mexico.

Yep, not Katia - seems to be something off West Africa behind Jose - developing but I am no expert at all... A friend in West Africa was saying to me that they are experiencing some large storms that appear to be intensifying over the Atlantic. So somewhere there is there a storm generator? I dunno - not a clue on this...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

The NHC are not expecting any more tropical cyclone development during the next five days. 

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATWOAT+shtml/071143_MIATWOAT.shtml

Edited by Chris.R

Posted
9 minutes ago, Barbmac said:

Here's someone on the T&C Isles who is hoping to broadcast as often as possible:

https://www.facebook.com/livemap/#@21.06399706324597,-69.8291015625,5z

towards the end he spoke of how strong the wind felt and that the hurricane hadn't even started yet....you could see the realisation on his face of what was to come and it wasn't good :(:(