Jump to content
Holidays
Local
Radar
Windy?
Supacell

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 1st August onwards

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Quiet overhead here now. Visible lightning off to the east I'm told so I'm off to watch that. 

EDIT: Gone for a look, can't see anything towards Farnborough/Guildford way. Very frustrating as it's so close.

Edited by Paul Roberts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Hampshire Weather said:

WOW! 85.png

Best storm I've ever experienced in my life, I live right in the center of the red zone and we've been getting back to back flashes, with full forks. The wind was pretty strong as well! Two storms in one day, the first was just a taste and then this one came along and left me speechless. 

The first one was just the appetiser. The main course was worth the wait, up there with the storm in July last year here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I’ve been trying to work out for a little while if this storm approaching Gatwick will hit me or just miss to the West, but I can’t make up my mind, so I’d be interested to hear your thoughts. 

For reference, I’m below the letter ‘t’ in Southend as you see it on the map 

C973073F-D616-4306-9C34-2C9E6F018CD8.png

Edited by Thunderstruck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We are getting the rain here but very little energy compared to an hour ago down south, it's a shame.

Also I think Gatwick will just miss out, it's passing close by but to the west of the airport.

Edited by Robert Lewis

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Yes, the vertical shear is not particularly strong, 20-30 knots, but the mid-upper flow is fairly strong and, combined with forcing from a shortwave trough, enough to organise storms into clusters forming a few convective systems IMO.

Interesting, so effectively the the upper level winds have prevented the storm from "suffocating itself" but displacing the updrafts and downdraft, prolonging it's intensity and growth in size?

Edited by Ben Sainsbury

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn't look like I'm going to get that much lightning activity only heavy rain, oh well I don't mind missing any storms as I'll just get them in Florida during the summer :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rain just started here in Aylesbury ahead of the thunderstorm cluster moving up from Hampshire 😊

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That cell near Gatwick now has a more Northerly trajectory, which is bad for my chances tonight. Not calling bust yet, but having doubts now. 

Still, only April

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, matt111 said:

The first one was just the appetiser. The main course was worth the wait, up there with the storm in July last year here. 

Agreed. One of the best I've seen tonight.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Ben Sainsbury said:

Interesting, so effectively the the upper level winds have prevented the storm from "suffocating itself" but displacing the updrafts and downdraft, prolonging it's intensity and growth in size?

Effectively, yes, strong upper winds are important in sustaining and organising storms, not just deep layer shear, strong DLS is required for bowing-line segments and supercell structures that produce large hail, damaging winds and tornadoes though.

At least I have a stronger pulse heading towards me in Croydon, flashing away to my southwest though can't hear the thunder quite yet.

 

2340.JPG

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If only this would be more North, might be a bust for Middlesbrough tonight : P 

image.thumb.png.2b2ae817ce4ed16aeb1513ccd1bd918d.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SW of the IOW this

image.png.45796198991aa71b0770780a3ef3cbb4.png

to this 

image.png.ca21d1a1bb7b190f1002004fee5b0ef7.png

in 20 minutes 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Hampshire Weather said:

WOW! 85.png

Best storm I've ever experienced in my life, I live right in the center of the red zone and we've been getting back to back flashes, with full forks. The wind was pretty strong as well! Two storms in one day, the first was just a taste and then this one came along and left me speechless. 

That cell was intense, drove right through the core on the A3.constant lightning and very heavy rain. At its worst visibility was down to about 25m, so very dangerous driving conditions but a cool experience all the same.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, been out chasing the last few hours and just got back, honestly haven't seen anything like that before.

After catching the original storm here at around 7ish, I then headed to Hayling Island to the sea front to see the storms that were a bit further east heading towards the mainland. Had a great light show out to sea with a few close strikes virtually overhead too. 

Then started heading back to Southampton after seeing there was more lightning activity headed for here. Plan was to get to Weston Shore but on getting into Southampton the heavens just opened and I've never seen such torrential rain, even in Florida.  The roads were literally becoming rivers and several cars had got stranded in the floodwater, fire engines racing to the rescue, alarms going off, all while the lightning was flickering away overhead. Did get some video on my phone which I will try and upload at some point.

Best storm for years even beating the overnight plume in July last year. Can't believe it's only April, tonight was a real treat but I hope everyone has stayed safe.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

That cell was intense, drove right through the core on the A3.constant lightning and very heavy rain. At its worst visibility was down to about 25m, so very dangerous driving conditions but a cool experience all the same.

Left Butser cos it went eerily silent and there was just constant lightning, so drove home up the A3 - didn’t get the rain but the storm kept up! Was then in an intense electrical downpour in Godalming and now watching it flashing over Epsom.

Amazing storms. Can’t believe it’s April!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Two things are fascinating me tonight as a bit of a novice, how something with so much energy over Southampton has gone pretty much flat the moment it reached Basingstoke, also the activity that was by horsham seemed to be moving northwest at Gatwick, north once at guildford and now moving quite nicely north east towards London. That seems to have kept the intensity far better too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't get much luck here, just views from passing storms. Not bad for early on in the season though.

45b50fa9eb51038e9499b79e7b52329a.jpg 0aa4662d362968c447c47696f0a032b1.jpg e991b9d2323c5c20f28f18ee2c6cb0d6.jpg 0f16e68f27376692f82b2dce31b873ea.jpg

d29889861945f1b7ac3f35efbdb389f8.jpg 285dd49d33b4bc8d7c74e4f13769f0b5.jpg 9bb3ed0f86efa6e24fa63bc0f3039385.jpg 6a463d091067b146d4a1350c3d24b0a2.jpg

80de8698c9a5939dcce4f1f7d7ce9422.jpg 

43fa560e64b42fd83b483d85bccbf24c.gif bbe5d083ba18a24ce1394a1a8f1796c8.gif ef226566895ee8a0f1f1063f2f57660d.gif fe99f53f8c14a27ebd8b8e53cf9ce3c2.gif

60f8b744c0536bed50fe991b16a5aea9.gif 59149a617e3b66ddc13b6cbf4411f37b.gif b5394f1389cdab9e9fab2ef0ff4adb18.gif 5f2575c6888ee57571567b6064b18db2.gif

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Some awesome lightning on this live London cam, CGs in there too :).

 

Edited by Sparkiee storm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Effectively, yes, strong upper winds are important in sustaining and organising storms, not just deep layer shear, strong DLS is required for bowing-line segments and supercell structures that produce large hail, damaging winds and tornadoes though.

At least I have a stronger pulse heading towards me in Croydon, flashing away to my southwest though can't hear the thunder quite yet.

 

2340.JPG

The late running BA455 from Malaga found a gap between those cells somehow.  This isn't the usual routing from that direction.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ba455#111eaa46

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems to be more organised now and becoming slightly more intense. Not sure if there's any elevated lightning with this as not much is being picked up on real time lightning 

image.thumb.png.071e5ac794aea9cfc02601db4198023f.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

The mayhem might be over now here in Pagham but lordy what a incredible 5 hours that was 

Edited by NUT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Didn't get much luck here, just views from passing storms. Not bad for early on in the season though.

45b50fa9eb51038e9499b79e7b52329a.jpg 0aa4662d362968c447c47696f0a032b1.jpg e991b9d2323c5c20f28f18ee2c6cb0d6.jpg 0f16e68f27376692f82b2dce31b873ea.jpg

d29889861945f1b7ac3f35efbdb389f8.jpg 285dd49d33b4bc8d7c74e4f13769f0b5.jpg 9bb3ed0f86efa6e24fa63bc0f3039385.jpg 6a463d091067b146d4a1350c3d24b0a2.jpg

80de8698c9a5939dcce4f1f7d7ce9422.jpg 

43fa560e64b42fd83b483d85bccbf24c.gif bbe5d083ba18a24ce1394a1a8f1796c8.gif ef226566895ee8a0f1f1063f2f57660d.gif fe99f53f8c14a27ebd8b8e53cf9ce3c2.gif

60f8b744c0536bed50fe991b16a5aea9.gif 59149a617e3b66ddc13b6cbf4411f37b.gif b5394f1389cdab9e9fab2ef0ff4adb18.gif 5f2575c6888ee57571567b6064b18db2.gif

Looks like some more activity is heading your way as we speak?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×