Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 1st August onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

A thunderstorm has broken out just north of Corwen in Wales, likely some good thundersnow going on. I wish I was there!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
29 minutes ago, Supacell said:

A thunderstorm has broken out just north of Corwen in Wales, likely some good thundersnow going on. I wish I was there!

Here’s the backend of Corwen’s thundersnow event.:good:

But sadly I’m too far away to hear the thunder.

34583CC0-11F2-43FB-B626-984AAAB3C07C.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Plenty of sferics SW of Ireland now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Risk of some squally thunderstorms Friday morning across southern Ireland and towards SW UK, could be some isolated damaging gusts and even a tornado associated with this vigorous convection, which can already be seen to the west of Ireland.

Link to my storm forecast for Netweather in the tweet below:

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Sferics kicking off now SW of Ireland,destination>Cornwall inbound early morning by the looks,maybe just south.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Cracking thunderstorm just passing through here. Best storm since May!

• Like 1

Posted

Yep, pretty active cluster of storms off Devon atm and also SW Wales. Interesting radar signature over Cardigan Bay

DED302A6-CC9E-4BC4-8164-92F8E486BEF8.thumb.png.f88257cdffa1a59f87d611afb5dbf5d6.png

http://en.blitzortung.org/live_lightning_maps.php?map=12

E3E6BD48-E833-4960-901A-416FF9B1287F.thumb.png.67f3f6081f5a06842a3c1bc0fc10741d.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

It went absolutely berserk here! Thunder, lightning, hail, torrential rain.. wind went from nothing to gale force in a matter of seconds. A new wind speed record for my station too!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Passed through here not long ago with a few rumbles heard and a rain rate of 384mm/hr recorded at one point. Also a short period of very strong winds. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Misty Autumn Mornings, Thunderstorms and snow

Loads of flooding across Plymouth at the moment in Mutley, Devonport and Stoke.

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Just had another bout of activity, convective gusts close to 50mph.

20171229_111054.thumb.jpg.982d5b36cb4aee88de4f2c4406ad39b3.jpg 20171229_111222_HDR.thumb.jpg.239833644a17f54f587d00310a8077a1.jpg

Looks like some nice mammatus in the 2nd pic too!

• Like 2

Posted

A bit late, but I saw a fair bit of distant lightning from here yesterday, with 2 closer flashes/rumbles and some heavy showery rain

Also the showers later in the morning had very strong winds with them, a gust of 47mph was the highest of the year on my station (53mph just up the road).
Just a light breeze between the showers though.

I went to the coast at Sidmouth and saw some distant lightning as it moved east.
Lightning 29th December.mp4

News coverage and reports showed local flooding from the storm around Plymouth and south Cornwall/Devon with several trees down in a park in Plymouth.
Also reports of damage to trees and buildings in the New Forest area, some interesting pictures of damage to boats etc at Mudeford Quay which apparently recorded a gust of 111mph!
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/15798698.PICTURES__Boats_overturn_at_Mudeford_Quay_after_97mph_gust_of_wind_is_recorded/

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Day 2 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Sun 31 Dec 2017 - 05:59 UTC Mon 01 Jan 2018

ISSUED 20:13 UTC Sat 30 Dec 2017

ISSUED BY: Dan

Sharp upper trough will migrate eastwards across the British Isles on Sunday, with cold mid-levels atop SSTs generating deep instability in the post-frontal environment. The cold front first thing in the morning over England and Wales may exhibit some elements of line convection given strong flow parallel to the front in a strongly sheared environment. While this may be capable of a brief spell of gusty winds and heavy rain, in general convection will tend to be too shallow for much in the way of lightning.

Behind the cold front, several shortwaves will approach from the west, provided the focus for scattered showers that may occasionally form more organised lines as they track eastwards across Ireland, Wales and England. Lightning activity will tend to be most frequent over the Celtic Sea and English Channel, and adjacent coastal counties - a bit marginal for an upgrade to SLGT at present. Such deep convection will be capable of strong, gusty winds, small hail and perhaps a tornado.

• Like 2

Posted

Just a note that as identified by posters in the SW regional thread,  the 111mph reading in my previous post appears to be a mis-conversion of a 97km/h gust (They thought it was knots), which is actually 60mph.

A rather more believable reading even if it could have been a bit stronger in exposure to flip boats like that.

and today we've a couple showers, and there have been some sefrics around including a number just east of the Scilly Isles and the southern edge of Dartmoor this morning, and now Dorset so brief thunderstorms there.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey days

Just had a squall line pass over with hail, torrential rain and swirling clouds, gusty winds blowing the rain horizontally. Now thundering.

Posted

So how did everyone fare for storms during 2017? Had 2 bouts both on saturday's here. The first lot was for a few hours during the FA and Scottish Cup final day and the second lot (lasted a good 4 hours of constant thunder) was the saturday after but that was our lot for this year. 2 decent storm days can't grumble