Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Why does a bust hurt so much?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot

When I read posts, check the forecasts, and withstand the humidity I become disproportionately disappointed when a storm blows over (as in passes by 100 miles away) or doesn't even materialise at all in the British isles?

The disappointment is lasting and very akin to how a football fanatic's evening feels when England are inevitably knocked out of a tournament.  

From reading the convective posts I get a sense a lot of people take it badly.  Is there any science or research behind this?  Is it simply the equivalent of a hobby or sport with a summer season?

Posted
On 2017-7-16 at 00:10, Another Kent clipper said:

When I read posts, check the forecasts, and withstand the humidity I become disproportionately disappointed when a storm blows over (as in passes by 100 miles away) or doesn't even materialise at all in the British isles?

The disappointment is lasting and very akin to how a football fanatic's evening feels when England are inevitably knocked out of a tournament.  

From reading the convective posts I get a sense a lot of people take it badly.  Is there any science or research behind this?  Is it simply the equivalent of a hobby or sport with a summer season?

It's simply the disappointment and mild depression anybody feels about anything they were pinning their hopes on which failed to materialise. We naturally gravitate towards our acquired pleasures as this releases endorphins in our brains which gives us a feeling of bliss and contentment and basically makes us feel more than happy in the moment. This in turn creates a good memory which we like to re experience from time to time to prevent that memory from fading into vagueness and making us too nostalgic, which in turn makes us dissatisfied with the current moment (nostalgia is ok in small doses, but it can go overboard and give us rose tinted spectacles, which fools us into believing we we're somehow on cloud 9 in some past time and the here and now doesn't feel anywhere near as good). Unfortunatly with something like the weather, which is beyond our control and where prediction is limited, this can lead to a lot of frustration when our desired results fail to materialise. This makes us feel a bit incomplete and hence slightly depressed. It's all in our heads though really and all that's really happened is we've been conned by an idea. Personally I'm really considering trying to ignore all weather forecasting, so that way I'll have little to no idea how the weather may or not turn out on any particular day (with the exception of the knowledge of what is or isn't possible at a particular time of year) so any weather I enjoy will arrive as a pleasant surprise and disappointment would be generally avoided as I wouldn't have had any pre knowledge of any bust which may or not occur anyway.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot

Well said Walsall wood snow.  The radar seems to be the best indication of what will happen, the forecast is too vague.   Tonight I think I got conned by the sky itself - twice.  Turning rancid yellow with low scud, I thought ooh this time we're on.  The photo was where I heard a distant rumble at about 8pm today. Light rain followed

IMG_20170719_200157.jpg

Edited by Another Kent clipper
Forgot image
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, Another Kent clipper said:

Well said Walsall wood snow.  The radar seems to be the best indication of what will happen, the forecast is too vague.   Tonight I think I got conned by the sky itself - twice.  Turning rancid yellow with low scud, I thought ooh this time we're on.  

Keep thinking you're in Kent!

• Like 1