Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 8th July onwards

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Holy crap not bad eh ? Am well chuffed with this

That was amazing. The closest to lightning i've ever been....this was Warlingham area (Just oustide Croydon)...    

What a night it was, one of the best storms I have ever seen, maybe even better than July 3rd 2015! I some many great pictures on here today, so I thought I would share some of mine.  

Posted Images

1 minute ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

See my post above.

Yes saw that mate, I think I was writing as you posted that!

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, chrisbell-nottheweatherman said:

How rare are these in the UK relative to the US, Paul?

Quite rare, see them most years in the USA.

Yesterdays one actually was first picked up as an MCV around the Jersey and Guernsey area and travelled all the way to the Humber. Now that is impressive.

It was showing MCV tendencies over Portsmouth/Southampton area early evening and then took shape again around NW London.

Fascinating to watch unfold!

• Like 3
57 minutes ago, karyo said:

This wind is putting me off more than the cloud. I hope it eases soon.

Some hazy sun here.

Afternoon @karyo :)
The wind is very warm here but dropping... And the hazy sun is getting hotter... Fingers crossed that this could all come together for us. :bomb::friends:

56 minutes ago, Supacell said:

On this day 3 years ago there had been thunderstorms over the previous night which left a legacy of cloud the following morning across a swathe of the UK, I am sure some of the posters on here remember it. The cloud hung around here until around 1pm and then some breaks appeared. By 3pm all hell had broken loose as one of the best storms I had witnessed to date at that time moved up from the South Midlands and ran a path through all the Midlands into Yorkshire. There was talk on that day that it was a potential supercell. I see the set up today being quite similar, i.e. just a small amount of surface heating and the atmosphere will go bang.

19-07-14.thumb.png.192fb427c81a98042a2a91faec285d9b.png

www.lightningmaps.org

Afternoon @Supacell:)
Ahhh yes, I remember that day very well, this was the legacy of the previous nights storms that I saw before heading off to work... And yes the sky was really that colour, it was an incredible sight.
Plus we even managed a high elevation storm later on in the evening as well. :D
Here's hope for something even better today. :bomb::D

July Convective 2014.jpg

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, Paul Sherman said:

Quite rare, see them most years in the USA.

Yesterdays one actually was first picked up as an MCV around the Jersey and Guernsey area and travelled all the way to the Humber. Now that is impressive.

It was showing MCV tendencies over Portsmouth/Southampton area early evening and then took shape again around NW London.

Fascinating to watch unfold!

Cheers Paul.  One for the textbooks and weather history?

• Like 2

that cold front out west seems quite fiery and it's not even tapped into the CAPE yet?

we have haze and just relatively fair weather cumulus at the moment. This morning looked more ominous.

Edited by Darren Bown
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, Darren Bown said:

that cold front out west seems quite fiery and it's not even tapped into the CAPE yet?

It looks like it is expanding to the north Wales mainland too.

Just now, karyo said:

It looks like it is expanding to the north Wales mainland too.

look right on the forecast doesn't it

didn't realise it was almost 1pm

• Like 1
Just now, Sparkiee storm said:

Nice to see you on the convective thread frosty :) 

Thanks, it looks to be the busiest and by far the most interesting thread at the moment.:)

• Like 2

Bit dissapointing none of the storms from the South actually traveled northwards as it would of been nice too see a good old night time storm but it will be interesting too see how that cluster of rain/storms develops from Wales during this afternoon, some forecasts seem promising but we had this many times before only for it to not turn out how we would expect it.

1 minute ago, Frosty. said:

Thanks, it looks to be the busiest and by far the most interesting thread at the moment.:)

Yep certainly is, probably will be until either tonight or tomorrow morning when it will be all over with lol

• Like 2
Just now, Sparkiee storm said:

Yep certainly is, probably will be until either tonight or tomorrow morning when it will be all over with lol

Yes I'm looking forward to the action later, should be a lot of fun..great enthusiasm on here, so much better than the miserable model output discussion.:)

• Like 5

For anyone chasing around the NW i'd suggest Sponds Moor as a good vantage-point with extensive views across Cheshire, Manchester, and parts of Lancs. The road from Disley leads up to the Bowstones (just some 15m less than the true summit) and no doubt offers some good potential for long exposure lightning-strike images depending on the timing of today.

IMG_2273.thumb.JPG.7a4ceb832c43d7f674da15732c42e13c.JPG

• Like 5
Just now, Frosty. said:

Yes I'm looking forward to the action later, should be a lot of fun..great enthusiasm on here, so much better than the miserable model output discussion.:)

haha, and yeah lets hope more of us can get something too today, and model output can be interesting, models might show a major change to a huge heatwave and massive thunderstorms again everywhere haha :rofl:

• Like 4