IGNORED

Convective/Storm Discussion Thread - 8th July onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Day 2 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Thu 27 Jul 2017 - 05:59 UTC Fri 28 Jul 2017

ISSUED 20:09 UTC Wed 26 Jul 2017

ISSUED BY: Dan

Upper vortex will be located to the northwest of Scotland, but with a trough axis swinging eastwards across the British Isles on Thursday. As a result, cool air aloft atop relatively warm SSTs and diurnally-heated land will steepen lapse rates, allowing numerous showers to develop, some weakly-electrified.

Best mid-level lapse rates (and hence lightning potential) will be found from Wales - Midlands - East Anglia / Lincolnshire, though some uncertainty as to whether a weak feature in the morning / early afternoon could bring more cloud and some dynamic precipitation to southern parts of Britain for a time, which might have a knock-on effect to any convection for the afternoon/early evening. Given strong DLS, any heavy showers will be capable of strong, gusty winds and perhaps some small hail.

Where instability will weaken from the west later in the afternoon and overnight, deep instability will return to western Scotland later in the night.

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2017-07-27

Posted
1 minute ago, Mokidugway said:

Windy and driving rain ,not nice out 

Rain on the radar looks to be intensifying near us with a cell forming near Lancaster I think

Posted
Just now, Mokidugway said:

Lost all visuals now ,very heavy rain can't see any cloud definition 

Ah right, not sure if you can see the picture I've just posted but thats how it looks here

Posted
Just now, Mokidugway said:

You looking north ?

Yeah, looking North West towards Grange Over Sands, gone even darker and the winds picked up a lot

Posted

Had my eye on that line since 2hr ago when first noticing it, should be hitting the NW around 11pm if it maintains it's speed and intensity. Was this forecast? a pleasant surprise to see it on the RADAR whilst I wasn't expecting to be seeing anything.

Just now, SNOW_JOKE said:

Had my eye on that line since 2hr ago when first noticing it, should be hitting the NW around 11pm if it maintains it's speed and intensity. Was this forecast? a pleasant surprise to see it on the RADAR whilst I wasn't expecting to be seeing anything.

Same here , noticed sky getting dark and checked radar , a pleasant surprise ,lol

Posted
1 minute ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

I dont think so, but here it shows thunderstorm at around 10pm, the winds have picked up big time in just a few minutes

Posted
2 minutes ago, TJS1998Tom said:

I dont think so, but here it shows thunderstorm at around 10pm, the winds have picked up big time in just a few minutes

I've also kept an eye on it for an hour when I noticed some lightning was coming off from it, dont think we'll see much lightning but the wind is nothing like I've seen before in ages, if only it was one of those storms which produced a lot of lightning lol, that would be heaven

Edited by TJS1998Tom

Posted
2 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

One or two sharp cells have broken out ahead of the main line.

Ties in with what I was seeing at sunset, took a trip on the field for some 'artsy' pics and noticed a few (what looked like) Anvils towards North Manchester way.

IMG_3860.thumb.JPG.dbb62ab06448547950e3c5da332575d7.JPG

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Lightning here.