Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Radar app beta test feedback

Message added by Paul

Thanks to all those involved in the beta test for the new radar apps - you're help is much appreciated. If you're posting some feedback or a bug report, please can you include the following info in your post:

1. Whether you're using Android or iOS
2. Whether you're using the Radar Extra or Free version of the app

Please can you also double-check you're using the latest available version of the app, as we're actively developing them, and are releasing frequent updates.

Thanks!

Posted
1 hour ago, sriram said:

Looks great and works well but I have a few questions-  maybe more later on with time

1 What's the difference between location zoom and postcode zoom - both do the same thing - only change is blue dot and pink dot

2 cannot get rid of postcode on LHS menu once you enter it once it saves permanently

1 hour ago, sriram said:

Cant edit previous post hence new thread

3 what is social view

4 what is o/n 16 c d/n 18 c etc near the bottom of the menu

Hi, have merged these into the feedback thread. 

To answer your questions:

1. Location zoom will use your geo-location from the phone to zoom you in, for when you maybe don't know the postcode. 

2. You can switch off the zoom so it doesn't show, and it should be changeable to another. 

3. It uses tweets that use #uksnow #ukrain #ukstorm #ukwind hashtags to show where people are reporting those weather types.

4. It's a mini forecast for your location. o/n is overnight, d is day and n is night.

Posted

Hello, thanks for adding me to test the ios version.

Runs fine, but switching between radar scales (NW New, NW orig and Trad) the horizontal intencity bar at the bottom does not change.

When selecting 'Colours' nothing happens.

Also is this thread for Android only or is there a thread for ios? My bad if in wrong thread!

Edited by LeeKay
Added more

Posted

Hi Lee, this thread is fine for iOS too. 

Thanks for the feedback, definitely sounds like a couple of bugs there, so I'll pass them over to @Karl so he can hopefully knock them on the head in the next update!

Other queries I have Paul

1 The pink dot for the postcode zoom is too big - it needs to be the same size as the blue dot for the location zoom

2 Is there any reason why you can rotate the map in any direction so the UK appears in any direction

Thanks

Can't edit the post above - just to add if you rotate the map you can't set the orientation back to normal easily by pressing a reset button. and there is no lock button to prevent map orientation if you accidentally do it which is easy to do if you zoom in and out of the radar

thanks

Posted

Some feedback for both the Extra & Free iOS apps: It is possible to make it so we can grant permissions for the apps to use location only while the app is running? Currently the only options are "Always" and "Never".

Posted
58 minutes ago, Omega Point said:

Some feedback for both the Extra & Free iOS apps: It is possible to make it so we can grant permissions for the apps to use location only while the app is running? Currently the only options are "Always" and "Never".

I'll pass this over to @Karl who's developing the app. Thanks for the feedback :) 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Bartlett style mild and benign

Just got the updated version (iPhone 6s, 10.0.1) also iPad which isn't to hand right now.

Zoom issue I reported (zoom in too far and the radar data disappears), has been fixed by limiting the zoom level. Guess there is a reason we cant zoom in any further.

The colour scale is way too small to read on an iphone.

I am an Extra subscriber, happy to test the Extra version.

Posted

I'm using the updated iOS free version and I've just started using the radar Extra app.

Not sure if it's just me but to get the settings menu up (on both apps) I have to press to the very far left of the 3 horizontal bars 

touching the edge of the phone (iPhone7) I'm female with small fingers so that may be the reason!

I agree with the above poster that the colour scale is far too small to read.

Other than the above, the Extra app is working really well. 

Just updated to the latest version.  A few questions / issues:

1) The "play bar" seems to be defaulted to 24 hours.  I expected to be able to slide the dot to any point on the play timeline and hit play and just get that section.  However hitting play always starts from 24 hours ago ?  I think we should be able to choose the play period.

2) Setting any of the options on  "NMM Overlay" or "Current Weather" correctly display the overlay but when you slide the menu back in view the menu bar defaults to "OFF" - shouldn't it show the active overlay ?

3) Setting a Satellite view to IR or Vis displays the overlay ok but again the menu defaults back to "Off" when hidden, and then you have to select any overlay and then select off afterwards to turn an overlay off - that isn't very intuitive.

4) Selecting "Europe" on removed all the radar data (lightning remained).  Returning to the menu I found Europe was defaulted back to off.  I had to turn Europe on and off again to regain radar data.

5) Personal preference I guess but I don't think "Terrain" is the right word for the aerial photo view as the terrain is sort of shown on the basic map ?

6) "Accum Hrs" doesn't seem to be working.

7)  I can't seem to set the alert start and end times - they revert to default values (although the interval did randomly change to 6 hours ?)

Great app so far though.

Seems to be working well at present though I’m not impressed with the full page ad pop ups. I appreciate that they’re not in the paid version but as the beta is time limited, any chance of removing them from the beta please? Ta 

Posted
16 hours ago, sriram said:

Hello Paul - hope you have seen my earlier post about postcode zoom and maps - thanks

HI Sriram, I think the latest app update has changed the markers and stopped the map from rotating :) 

One more for review: I was exploring and found that if I tap on the "forecast temps" bar (below the News section) I get punted to the phone home screen view I had before I used the Netweather app.  If double tap the home button to see my open apps I can still see Netweather, so I don't think the app has crashed, but returning to the app seems to reset it (all zooms are gone).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow , thunderstorms and wind

Hi Paul.

I am using IOS and subscribe to Radar Extra

I love the App, well done.

The only thing I see missing, from my point of view, is a "Latest" button. After having gone back to an earlier time it would be nice to have this button to jump straight back to latest time.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi again,

On the iPhone version:

The "play bar" still doesn't seem to operate as I expect.  (a) it seems very sensitive to where you press - in the wrong place and play starts from 24 hrs ago (the start of the bar), (b) if you rewind to a specific time and play starts correctly, when the play gets to "now" then the icon jumps back to the beginning and starts play from 24 hrs ago.

The rainfall legend is far too small to be readable - perhaps only put every 4th or 5th number and make them larger ?

If I select Air pressure from the NMM overlay - have a look - then turn it off -> Air pressure overlay turns off -> select a current weather selection and look at that -> go back to side bar to turn off that setting -> Air pressure is now selected again under NMM Overlay but not displaying on the map.

The Satellite selection defaults to "off" regardless of what is displayed on the map.

I have a permanent red dot on the app icon on the home screen as if I have a notification but I can't find the notification.

Regards the alerts - what defines "in the vicinity" for rain and lightning alerts?  I am getting notifications but not sure what it is telling me.

Still enjoying the app.

Posted

Thanks for those bugs - think I've fixed them 

A new ios version should be up so refresh via the testflight app

thanks

Karl

• 2 months later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Can I get an invite to test the iOS app? My NetWx Extra username is "DanielAKAWMD"

Edited by Daniel Smith

• 2 weeks later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Bartlett style mild and benign

Whats the latest on the IOS version? My current version has "expired".

• 1 month later...
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

Any news on the iOS app release? Been over a month since the release was "imminent"

Posted

We put the app through to apple back in November, but as yet they aren't happy with it, due to it only being available to subscribers to use (essentially, they want us to sell the subscriptions through the app, which at the same time would mean giving them 30% of the revenue from all subscriptions). So, we're looking at how best to move forward on that front.