Convective / Storm Discussion Thread - 31st May 2017 onwards

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Popped out with the camera after finishing work yesterday at 5:45pm. Got onto the storm which passed through Malton when it was near Sledmere in the Yorkshire Wolds. Visually, it appeared supercellula

A few shots of the storm tonight using iLightningCam app.

BIG storm went over here earlier, only just got power back on. Trees down and roads flooded in the Malton area, never seen anything quite like it, absolute carnage. Unfortunately my weather stati

Posted Images

Well well, look at that absolute monster out in the North Sea. Brewer by us, and about to be consumed by our old Danish pals! 

Speckles beginning to pop up though in the Bristol area! I'll be keeping an eye on things. 

Hard luck yesterday, but considering we still have all of July and August left, 34c on the solstice day is quite remarkable in my books, and one of the earliest mid 30's temperatures ever to be recorded. 

Next week is looking quite promising anyway!! :D 

4 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Well well, look at that absolute monster out in the North Sea. Brewer by us, and about to be consumed by our old Danish pals! 

Speckles beginning to pop up though in the Bristol area! I'll be keeping an eye on things. 

Hard luck yesterday, but considering we still have all of July and August left, 34c on the solstice day is quite remarkable in my books, and one of the earliest mid 30's temperatures ever to be recorded. 

Next week is looking quite promising anyway!! :D 

Look at that thing - how does something turn into a monster over the N Sea and keep going for hours on end and yet storms can barely limp across 20 odd miles of Channel?:nonono:

• Like 6

So yesterday after reading a little bit on some weather pages, we required 38c up north to break through the cap. Was never going to happen. So, apart from the rough showers nothing of interest which when looking at the high res is exactly what I thought would happen. 

Same too for this morning although I'm expecting something over Norfolk way this time! 

Edited by Surrey

Some interesting isolated hefty showers traveling up from the south west. Currently over Cotswolds/Gloucester. Also some over Dorset. Will anything come of these?

• Like 1

I've got my eye on that shower near Salisbury. Multiple sites have said that after they form, storms will move NE into the SE corner of the country and East Anglia, which would put it in a good place for me later on. It might just fizzle out, but at the same time, it might intensify and give me a flash or rumble or two later on. All to play for yet.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Sudden bursts of heavy rain drops just north of Leighton Buzzard and the clouds are moving very quickly.

Just realised that I was under a very heavy shower, allegedly.....hardly any of it is reaching the ground.

Time for me to go now. Won't be able to give any updates when I'm at school, but 10AM looks like it could be interesting. Good luck, everyone, hope as many of us see a storm as possible :) 

Also, sferics west of Kettering

Edited by Jcweather
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, Frosty hollows said:

I wouldn't dismiss anything just yet

Hopefully, fingers crossed Aylesbury has a terrific habit of storms passing to the north.

1 minute ago, Grazy2266 said:

Hopefully, fingers crossed Aylesbury has a terrific habit of storms passing to the north.

You're NE of me, so this cell that's approaching me might find it's way to you/ It's produced a couple of strikes according to the radar. Be great if it develops

Just now, Frosty hollows said:

You're NE of me, so this cell that's approaching me might find it's way to you/ It's produced a couple of strikes according to the radar. Be great if it develops

Yeah I was just watching that cell on the radar, hopefully it develops nicely the potential is there.