Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/2017 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted

I know its a bit rich for me to say something like this but there is too much negativity in here this evening, its a nowcasting situation and that involves watching the radar and the temps/dew points. The trough feature is clearly around Western Scotland/SW Scotland area and it will be really interesting to watch how it develops whilst it tracks further southwards.

I think for those near the coasts, It more likely to be sleet/wet snow but further inland I'll be shocked if its not full on snow with some accumulations and then you got tomorrow which should be a day of sunshine and showers, should be of snow as dew points and upper air temps will be lower than they are now.

As for Sunday, the further south in the region the more risk you got to getting the potential fun and games, the cold air line is certainly a tad more further south although that probably tends to be mean any PPN is further South but with another 60 odd hours of weather before that, there will still be some slight adjustments although the models do seem to have the right idea now.

On the here and now, i can also report having some hail mixed in with the showers, hopefully we get a hailstorm when we had the last NW'ly blast which bought a nice winter wonderland type of scene with even patches of hail lasting well into the morning. I notice some stations around Merseyside are reporting negative dew temps now so good sign of the colder air digging in. The only concern I do have is looking where that trough is and in general the dew temps at those stations are at plus 1 so hopefully there is no meteological reason why that may be the case but its one to watch as the night goes on.

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, iand61 said:

I've got a bit left myself if you want it.

Yes cheers mate I will pick it up tomorrow can you bob it in the freezer till I'm there and have you got a cooler box I can take it home safe thanks in advance

and also how much for the Ice Ice baby:D

Edited by itsnowjoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
3 minutes ago, itsnowjoke said:

Yes cheers mate I will pick it up tomorrow can you bob it in the freezer till I'm there and have you got a cooler box I can take it home safe thanks in advance

No problem

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

Heavy hail and settling!

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, iand61 said:

No problem

Cheers pal appreciate it maybe we could try and make some kind of ice sculpture out of both our ice while I'm there then sell it ... always thinking

Posted
2 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

Yep just had a hail shower here also and it tried to settle, i think hail will be our best chance of a white covering tonight!

There are some nice showers over Cumbria right now. I hope they maintain their intensity as they move southeast.

I will happily settle for a covering of hail to be honest.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
1 minute ago, itsnowjoke said:

Cheers pal appreciate it maybe we could try and make some kind of ice sculpture out of both our ice while I'm there then sell it ... always thinking

It'll be a small ice sculpture unless we can start a crowd funding thingy for snow.

get enough and maybe we can knock together a miniature snowman.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, iand61 said:

It'll be a small ice sculpture unless we can start a crowd funding thingy for snow.

get enough and maybe we can knock together a miniature snowman.

Yes that's a very good idea then we can freeze it for next winter don't think we will get funding for a snowman but could give it a go I guess 

Edited by itsnowjoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
3 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

Yep just had a hail shower here also and it tried to settle, i think hail will be our best chance of a white covering tonight!

Actually I'd think graupel would be (graupel being compacted snow pellets that are formed in a similar way to hail)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, Snow, Winter, Summer storms after a 'heatwave'
11 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

I know its a bit rich for me to say something like this but there is too much negativity in here this evening, its a nowcasting situation and that involves watching the radar and the temps/dew points. The trough feature is clearly around Western Scotland/SW Scotland area and it will be really interesting to watch how it develops whilst it tracks further southwards.

I think for those near the coasts, It more likely to be sleet/wet snow but further inland I'll be shocked if its not full on snow with some accumulations and then you got tomorrow which should be a day of sunshine and showers, should be of snow as dew points and upper air temps will be lower than they are now.

As for Sunday, the further south in the region the more risk you got to getting the potential fun and games, the cold air line is certainly a tad more further south although that probably tends to be mean any PPN is further South but with another 60 odd hours of weather before that, there will still be some slight adjustments although the models do seem to have the right idea now.

On the here and now, i can also report having some hail mixed in with the showers, hopefully we get a hailstorm when we had the last NW'ly blast which bought a nice winter wonderland type of scene with even patches of hail lasting well into the morning. I notice some stations around Merseyside are reporting negative dew temps now so good sign of the colder air digging in. The only concern I do have is looking where that trough is and in general the dew temps at those stations are at plus 1 so hopefully there is no meteological reason why that may be the case but its one to watch as the night goes on.

Great post, still alot of winter to go, Sunday looks good for South of the region and tonight's event is post midnight and a nowcast situation 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Just been to shop and when I on my way there I saw some small wet snowflakes fluttering by the lampost.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, pip22 said:

Just been to shop and when I on my way there I saw some small wet snowflakes fluttering by the lampost.

Did you catch them an freeze them 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, karyo said:

There are some nice showers over Cumbria right now. I hope they maintain their intensity as they move southeast.

I will happily settle for a covering of hail to be honest.

Unless your right in Manchester City Centre, you'll get more than a covering of hail, you'll get an inch or so of lying snow at least.

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, feb1991blizzard said:

Unless your right in Manchester City Centre, you'll get more than a covering of hail, you'll get an inch or so of lying snow at least.

Yes, Manchester Piccadilly! Don't get more central. haha

I don't think anywhere in Manchester will see an inch though. I would love to be proved wrong of course.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

really????

So that means we will get a good covering in the morning feb? It will a couple of degrees colder here mate

edit meto app still going for heavy snow here after midnight so who knows

Edited by northwestsnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Moderate large hail a minute ago; felt like it could produce lightning at any time.

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

really????

So that means we will get a good covering in the morning feb? It will a couple of degrees colder here mate

In the morning of February sounds more like it

Posted
Just now, Chris.R said:

Moderate large hail a minute ago; felt like it could produce lighting at any time.

Currently on the mobile, what's your weather station reading ATM?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

really????

looking at the BBC location forecasts then maybe I'm wrong, but theres streamers into Manchester (although a lot more further South like Cheshire) and surely from 3am onwards the uppers are supportive.