Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West England Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/2017 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
16 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

BBC automated showing quite a bit of rain sat/sun/mon- moreso on monday- and thats for moorside oldham @300m

After viewing the 12zs i'm a tad disappointed 300m will just be seeing plain cold rain...

Image result for disappointed gif

Been upgraded now

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Raining here but theres a bit of sleetiness too.

• Like 1

Posted
18 minutes ago, frosty ground said:

Been upgraded now

Yes seen it ...now showing a snowy fri night for higher parts of oldham..no issues with dew points..if we get some irish sea action i feel even moderate high ground (100m) may see some snow :)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Weather warning just being put out over our region.

Between 18:00 Thu 23rd and 10:00 Fri 24th

Expect some icy patches to form on untreated roads, pavements and cycle paths on Thursday evening and overnight into Friday. There is a risk of slippery surfaces and difficult driving conditions. Snow showers are expected, mainly over higher ground in the north and west of Scotland, with longer journey times possible.

Chief Forecaster's assessment

Showers across northern and western Scotland are expected to bring further snowfall with 1-2 cm possible to low levels, and 2-5 cm above around 200 m. Across Northern Ireland and northern England, snow will be confined to higher routes, but icy patches are likely where showers leave surfaces wet.

Not often you see weather warnings like this.

Edited by pip22
  • Like 2

Posted
21 minutes ago, SNOW_JOKE said:

First hints of snow this season around Holmfirth/Woodhead Pass on the NWRadar :cold-emoji:

Sleet here in last half an hour near Woodhead... definitely a lot colder than last night... currently 4c.... hills around might be white come Friday night/Saturday morning... 

A7F35894-1BD8-4B65-A375-0D21E5E38A0D.png

• Like 1

Posted

I'm glad the cold spell is about to arrive. I'm going to Tenerife in a few weeks time for 9 days. Hopefully I will see some snow before I go. :)

Edited by pip22

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Ice only a problam over 15 miles inland tonight. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Ice only a problam over 15 miles inland tonight. 

Yes ...im not even sure irt will be frosty here and im 30miles from the coast( at least).

Posted

Slight improvement on yesterday's deluge! Feeling much colder though. Drove back from Glenridding earlier and spotted a dusting of snow on the higher tops, hoping to see the snowline drop over the coming days.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

First bit of sleet of the winter on the car windscreen this morning and plenty of heavy rain showers and hail through the day.

if it had been a few weeks further on with more embedded cold I think we could have had a decent fall of snow today but it wasn't and cold rain certainly doesn't appeal.

hopefully a couple of dry days coming up now, small comfort to those seriously affected by last nights flooding but at least it helps a bit with the drying out process.

Posted

Feeling as cold as cold person in the country Iceland with an ice cold drink in the freezer department 

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Mountain Snow said:

Slight improvement on yesterday's deluge! Feeling much colder though. Drove back from Glenridding earlier and spotted a dusting of snow on the higher tops, hoping to see the snowline drop over the coming days.

There was snow above about 700 metres this morning, but haven't been able to view the fells since 9am. Expecting the snowline to drop to about 500 metres by Saturday morning, possibly down to 300 metres, if we see any banding of showers, as uppers look conducive for snow down to quite low levels overnight Friday and into Saturday morning. I remember waking up on Sat 19 Nov last year and was surprised to see a thick white mantle down to 300 metres, with some patchy stuff around 200 metres.

The fells look like seeing quite a bit of snow over the next 2 days, with a thaw on Monday but further snow next week. Last November delivered 10 days of snow cover, with the ski tow being used on Raise, alas it was the snowiest spell of the winter..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Bitter cold out - rain showers with hail mixed in. 

Posted

The text for NW England is a big upgrade this morning!!

'showers with increasing risk of snow to lower levels later '

First lampost twitching of the season?

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: wintry
9 hours ago, itsnowjoke said:

Just me then that's cold ??

No, everyone else had the kettle on for cocoa or bovril

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards
2 hours ago, northwestsnow said:

The text for NW England is a big upgrade this morning!!

'showers with increasing risk of snow to lower levels later '

First lampost twitching of the season?

What site?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

”Tonight:

The showers will continue, with the risk of sleet or snow to lower levels increasing.”

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/mobile/regional-forecast/nw

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Liverpool airport TAF going for rain and snow showers with cumulonimbus between 2300 and 0600 tonight. I’m sure someone else will do Manchester.

1 or 2 sneaky -7 850s around tonight now so people with modest elevation should do alright.  

Edited by Chris.R

Posted
3 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Liverpool airport TAF going for rain and snow showers with cumulonimbus between 2300 and 0600 tonight. I’m sure someone else will do Manchester.

1 or 2 sneaky -7 850s around tonight now so people with modest elevation should do alright.  

Yes it will be an inland event only..certainly inland and above 200m to see lying snow...depends on shower distribution i would have thought 

Posted
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

Yes it will be an inland event only..certainly inland and above 200m to see lying snow...depends on shower distribution i would have thought 

Thanks for rubbing it in lol

Posted
Just now, Chris.R said:

Thanks for rubbing it in lol

Sorry maaan...hopefully late upgrades...certainly im borderline but the hills round here will be white come tomorrow morning ( if the showers dont miss of course).

• Like 1