BlueHedgehog074

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

zero degrees and a tiny shower of rain.... yes rain :wallbash:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: appropriately seasonal
12 minutes ago, edo said:

zero degrees and a tiny shower of rain.... yes rain :wallbash:

Nothing at ours yet rain wise, but sure its coming. Its frustrating isnt it - as no sign of anything interesting in the models for us either this week. Nearly wine time! :friends:

sleety rain just started - how is it not snow when it is this cold and the ground is still covered in ice? Im sure someone more learned in the laws of snaw can explain it

Edited by over_the_rainbow
weather

Posted
16 minutes ago, over_the_rainbow said:

Other half tells me it is raining in Stirling too at the moment. Cloudy but dry here in Perth and -1. Such a shame the central belt gets the precipitation at last...during a 'warm' up.

I can confirm.

And it's still baltic.

Posted

Glasgow airport diverting all flights to prestwick runway like an ice rink 

u know it’s always bloody annoyed me how it can be this cold and RAIN ....... it can rain for days but when snow forecast somewhere  it never hits us and just RAINS again 

• Like 2

Posted

Temp has jumped up to almost 4c and unsurprisingly it's raining! Tomorrow afternoon and into evening has potential - although the latest GFS has any PPN largely missing the east. I'll not be holding my breath! 

Edited by 101_North

Posted
9 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Temp has jumped up to almost 4c and unsurprisingly it's raining! Tomorrow afternoon and into evening has potential - although the latest GFS has any PPN largely missing the east. I'll not be holding my breath! 

Don't worry if it's the West it'll be rain!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
3 minutes ago, grifter said:

Low myself so tends to be rain

you're not as low as me... approx. sea level - house is next to the beach. which has pluses and minuses, most of them obvious.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
On 11/12/2017 at 17:13, Hairy Celt said:

Raining in Falkirk.

For some reason I can't get rid of the above box so apologies Hairy Celt. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

you're not as low as me... approx. sea level - house is next to the beach. which has pluses and minuses, most of them obvious.

That is low, I have seen it snow here and I get into town and it is raining. I'd prefer to be 150m + really as that is where the snow seems to get a much better chance.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, over_the_rainbow said:

Nothing at ours yet rain wise, but sure its coming. Its frustrating isnt it - as no sign of anything interesting in the models for us either this week. Nearly wine time! :friends:

sleety rain just started - how is it not snow when it is this cold and the ground is still covered in ice? Im sure someone more learned in the laws of snaw can explain it

lethal out here.... my cul de sac and everyones drives are pure ice.... neighbours son just took one foot out the car to stand up and went sliding across the drive..... was funny as he never got hurt.... i was waving trying to warn him but probably just looked like a mad man 

we are  indeed forgetting what snow looks like.... i. really thought we would see something from this spell.... 

Posted
2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

It's cos the air about 300-600m up above you is at 2C so the snowflakes which form higher than that melt as they fall through that part of the air. 

thanks for the science behind my mongooseing rain 

no consistent trends for Christmas yet either..... still flip flopping about but early days for that 

Posted
23 minutes ago, edo said:

lethal out here.... my cul de sac and everyones drives are pure ice.... neighbours son just took one foot out the car to stand up and went sliding across the drive..... was funny as he never got hurt.... i was waving trying to warn him but probably just looked like a mad man 

we are  indeed forgetting what snow looks like.... i. really thought we would see something from this spell.... 

perhps the boy should have tried using both legs for support - surely he could see it was slippy? :whistling:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Snow has all but disappeared now, temp currently 5.1c with light rain. Back to normal then. It would appear that we are in for a rather blowy time around Christmas and New Year. I know we're a long way out for any definite forecasts  but anyone got any thoughts yet?

Posted
1 hour ago, snowidea said:

Raining in Falkirk.

For some reason I can't get rid of the above box so apologies Hairy Celt. 

Perhaps you were GOING TO WRITE SOMETHING INAPPROPRIATE but realised CAPSLOCK WAS ON so backspaced it all, leaving an empty box. Happens to me all the time, but usually in the 'serious' (ha fkn ha) 'discussion' (ha fkn squared ha) place.

• Like 1

Posted

Evening all,

2c with light rain but fortunately no ice problems here on the coast.

I saw a fair bit of freezing rain in my time over in Canada. It’s pretty common with winter storms over there...and lethal on the roads and pavements. Will never forget the special ‘tinkling’ noise rain makes when it hits the ground and instantly freezes. There were some magical landscapes after storms right enough but it’s not something I would want to live with on a regular basis. If anyone wants to read more about how bad ice storms can get the 1988 one is a good place to start! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/January_1998_North_American_ice_storm

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Freezing fog, frost, snow, sunshine.
18 minutes ago, mistyqueen said:

Snow has all but disappeared now, temp currently 5.1c with light rain. Back to normal then. It would appear that we are in for a rather blowy time around Christmas and New Year. I know we're a long way out for any definite forecasts  but anyone got any thoughts yet?

I think it's too far out to say with any degree of certainty. Where that high pushing in to England next week ends up will likely determine what we end up with I think.

Positives are that we're consistently seeing mid Atlantic ridging, that the stratospheric vortex is under strain, that we've thus far avoided the COD (circle of death vortex formation) and that the historic analogues point to Scandinavian or Icelandic blocking (the latter being preferable for us in Scotland).

In short, all to play for with a lot up in the air for the time being!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Thanks Catch and Northern Rab. I'm aware it's some time out, but always good to get others opinions on here. There's folks on here who are much better informed than I am which is why I ask! Hoping it doesn't pan out as some of the forecasts I have seen!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Hairy Celt said:

perhps the boy should have tried using both legs for support - surely he could see it was slippy? :whistling:

correct..... he will learn 

stopped raining now..... still sheet ice.... more cauld rain to come this week i reckon :diablo:

Posted

White BMW going cheap (not mine), has no bumpers, lots of dents but no windows. Tyres are in good condition but useless on Black Ice. Collect from J5 of the M80

Needless to say it is dangerous on the roads at present.

Had some snaw\sleet\mushy crap earlier which as added to the road problems round here.

Edited by Cheggers

Posted

Very cold start to the day with a very wintry looking Ben Wyvis.PC120931.thumb.JPG.a5a96c495ee5b4cdcd9522cdd9cbd3ea.JPG Got milder as day went on and  a bit of melt started making the ice covered ground even more treacherous.  Had some light rain earlier in the evening but its cleared and its now breezy and 2.5c.

• Like 2

Posted

Mr Batty just spoke about an area of interest on Thursday potential snow event but the can’t pin it down yet to me it appeared to effecting north central . More information tomorrow I would expect