Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards


Recommended Posts

5 minutes ago, More Snow said:

plenty more on the way by the look of it. a few surprises come the morning for some I think

You have elevation and an inland location great pluses for this winter 

Edited by drm
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good road trip up to Fort William. Snow from Crianlarich northwards until you reached the coastal plain.

Right just for fun here are some personalised snowfall predictions - these are for accumulation by the end of Wednesday and do NOT include Wed night/Thursday's potential storm.  @aggy 5cm  @M

An insight in to a snow lover texting their partner when away from home "Snowed overnight.." Me "Cool, how much??" "Not sure.." Me " send a picture of the bins" "Why the f##k

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

The South came good today :)

IMG_5156.jpg

IMG_5172.jpg

IMG_5175.jpg

The first one looks like the quiet route up Tinto from the south? The hills around there have caught more snow than further west.  It’s not often you see the Pentlands looking quite so Alpine.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Well this is what I returned home to earlier. The last photos shows the level depth on top of the Mrs car, was just a skiff under 5 inches. 

Had a little melt but nothing major, will be interesting to see how Friday pans out. 

Also as you can see, the telephone wires are really struggling, almost down to within touching distance now 

IMG_7266.PNG

IMG_7267.PNG

IMG_7268.PNG

IMG_7269.PNG

IMG_7270.PNG

IMG_7271.PNG

IMG_7272.thumb.PNG.73389a828d314d96034b7da10e23c721.PNG

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, More Snow said:

This is true, I have done very well so far this is my 4th snow event this month, the last one gave snow on the ground for 12 days and ice days a plenty.

Which part of Aberdeenshire are you in?

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, More Snow said:

inbetween Rothienorman and Largue on the b9001 well down a lane off of it.

Great spot for streamers and powder snow elevation is a real bonus for you in marginal set ups

Link to post
Share on other sites

Chucking it down right now, seems I'm in the sweet spot so far this winter that's for sure. I'm sure there will be times when I miss out so will make the most of it when I can. kids will be happy to go out in it the morning.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, More Snow said:

Chucking it down right now, seems I'm in the sweet spot so far this winter that's for sure. I'm sure there will be times when I miss out so will make the most of it when I can. kids will be happy to go out in it the morning.

Think the only wind direction you may be sheltered from is a westerly to south westerly the rest you are well placed just as well you werent there in 2009/10?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, More Snow said:

oh ive been told by the locals about the 100 days of snow that never seemed to end. :D

The good thing is though they know how to keep the roads pretty clear around you but yes id imagine the depth of snow was measured by the foot than the inch ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah roads have generally been ok, apart from my lane last time round we had a mild blip one evening and had an hour or 2 of rain on an already icy road and next morning we had 1.5 miles of polished ice that even the 4x4's were having real trouble on..

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hanging onto to plenty of snowcover here still and highs of only 0c today, then lows of around -6c, -7c tonight followed by hopefully a half decent fall tomorrow. 

IMG_7274.thumb.PNG.0761136b28dba7448f5116559de8dd8d.PNG

Link to post
Share on other sites

Overnight the 00z actually shows the system tomorrow remaining as snow for a large chunk of Scotland even into Sunday and then a PM flow later in the week bringing more potential particularly for NW parts. Plenty of interest, I have everything crossed for a snow day with kids tomorrow.....I will be very grumpy if it does not happen.....the kids need dragging away from indoors and Xmas toys

 

And the 06z has actually intensified the snow on Saturday, some areas will do very well the next two days

Cmonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn the snaw

Edited by edo
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't quote me on it but I have a feeling that the MetO warning area for snow tomorrow will extend northwards soon. 

The GFS has consistently been modelling snow for a large part of Scotland, definitely more further north than the MetO warning area suggests. 

And now, a quick check of other locations on the MetO forecast (Livingston, coatbridge and Cumbernauld) all have a decent amount of snow forecast for tomorrow lasting a number of hours so I'm assuming the MetO fax has moved the precipitation further north, or has the precipitation more expansive than they first thought at the time of issuing the warning 

This is the latest prediction from the GFS 6z for tomorrow in terms of snow. 

IMG_7275.thumb.PNG.cf35ee1b2ee3181562917e3af1a145fa.PNG

IMG_7276.thumb.PNG.53d409167863cc78cd600cfc02189f76.PNG

IMG_7277.thumb.PNG.513ad1bdae66864ab67ab0d4cf550269.PNG

IMG_7278.thumb.PNG.ca1f3cde6d20071aea7a1a9bfdc81d3f.PNG

Edited by Ruzzi
  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Spindrift2017 said:

The first one looks like the quiet route up Tinto from the south? The hills around there have caught more snow than further west.  It’s not often you see the Pentlands looking quite so Alpine.

Well spotted! The south gets the sun, the powder and is sheltered from the savage northerly wind.......and yet nobody else whatsoever went up there yesterday. But that's fine cos it means it's usually beautifully quiet ;-) I did a bit of investigating on Instagram on Tuesday night to see where had caught the most snow and Tinto looked a good bet. The snow is quite localised though as you drive around. Just north of Forth seemed to have caught the most, up by the smelly windfarm.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Ruzzi said:

Don't quote me on it but I have a feeling that the MetO warning area for snow tomorrow will extend northwards soon. 

The GFS has consistently been modelling snow for a large part of Scotland, definitely more further north than the MetO warning area suggests. 

And now, a quick check of other locations on the MetO forecast (Livingston, coatbridge and Cumbernauld) all have a decent amount of snow forecast for tomorrow lasting a number of hours so I'm assuming the MetO fax has moved the precipitation further north, or has the precipitation more expansive than they first thought at the time of issuing the warning 

This is the latest prediction from the GFS 6z for tomorrow in terms of snow. 

IMG_7275.thumb.PNG.cf35ee1b2ee3181562917e3af1a145fa.PNG

IMG_7276.thumb.PNG.53d409167863cc78cd600cfc02189f76.PNG

IMG_7277.thumb.PNG.513ad1bdae66864ab67ab0d4cf550269.PNG

IMG_7278.thumb.PNG.ca1f3cde6d20071aea7a1a9bfdc81d3f.PNG

Flying home  this afternoon with fingers crossed!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

im quoting you @Ruzzi:D

i agree this has been there for a few days and seems to be upgrading as we get closer.... 

ive only looked at GFS though been scared to oprn another model... be worth having a look at the euro 4 and see how its looking there 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...