Holidays
Local
Radar
Pollen
DiagonalRedLine

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

So dry atm and cool.

Would rather have wet and humid than this never ending 'winter'. 

Need rain and some warmth for grass growth but zero forecast. Can't think when the ground was this dry (not in peak summer), probably March 2012. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SW Saltire said:

So dry atm and cool.

Need rain and some warmth for grass growth but zero forecast. Can't think when the ground was this dry (not in peak summer), probably March 2012. 

Yes same here although have finally relented and put cows and calves out full time this morning after a fine mild sunny start to the day at 10c.Wind has now got up and 10 c does not feel warm anymore. Cattle will still be getting silage to supplement the slow grass growth and if the outlook is to be believed then they will be getting silage for the rest of May. Good job we have plenty with yields last late summer very good.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, Northernlights said:

Yes same here although have finally relented and put cows and calves out full time this morning after a fine mild sunny start to the day at 10c.Wind has now got up and 10 c does not feel warm anymore. Cattle will still be getting silage to supplement the slow grass growth and if the outlook is to be believed then they will be getting silage for the rest of May. Good job we have plenty with yields last late summer very good.

Yes cows got turned out by the farmer on the Wednesday just gone. Horses are still not out full-time yet. Just not enough grass really.

However forecast looks sunny and average temps (15/16c and the met office always under do them) so perhaps that will be enough to push us on... We will see

17 hours ago, SW Saltire said:

So dry atm and cool.

We ended up on 12.8mm of rain for April which is fairly dry. The ground is rock hard and cracked. I'm sure Mother Nature will make up for it at some point, perhaps a wet summer of the way? Having said that I'm pretty sure April is on average the driest month of the year for many parts of Scotland.

Edit: 1070mb Greenland High...

IMG_2139.thumb.PNG.3548ba00c2e34e0cda028fb7cc757d9e.PNG

And staying dry in the south, a little damp further north but nothing much for what Scotland can suffer. This is up to the 10th of May:

IMG_2140.thumb.GIF.57c0df44b5e8c5f25f57c3a6268e375f.GIF

Edited by CatchMyDrift
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, CatchMyDrift said:

We ended up on 12.8mm of rain for April which is fairly dry. The ground is rock hard and cracked. I'm sure Mother Nature will make up for it at some point, perhaps a wet summer of the way? Having said that I'm pretty sure April is on average the driest month of the year for many parts of Scotland.

And staying dry in the south, a little damp further north but nothing much for what Scotland can suffer. This is up to the 10th of May:

Exact same here. 1mm forecast... So nothing. Not good.

Really don't want a 2007/2012 summer. 

Would take mild and wet for a bit, quite enjoy muggy nights

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SW Saltire said:

Exact same here. 1mm forecast... So nothing. Not good.

Really don't want a 2007/2012 summer. 

Would take mild and wet for a bit, quite enjoy muggy nights

I'm not bothered if it's wet or dry, but an ideal summer would be hot like 1995 with some thunderstorms. Some decent sustained heat would be good; unlikely but good. 

• Like 1

Well not a lot to say is there. Overall an OK weekend around here as it was dry and reasonably bright if not exactly sunny. Temperatures just struggling into the low teens at times. A rather grey start to the day here with the Easterly wind blowing cloud in off the North Sea.

Hopefully a bit sunnier and warmer later in the week as it's a frustrating time keeping bees when it's like this. The rape around here is flowering in some nearby fields but no sign of the bees bringing any nectar in yet as it's probably just too cool for the plants to be producing it. Wife even stuck the feeders back on the hives yesterday as the bees have built up the colonies but without a good food source we don't want them starving. If it doesn't warm up at least a bit in May, especially before the rape crops stop flowering, then early season honey production will be low or non-existent.

• Like 3

Hubby raked moss out of the grass 10 days ago and re-seeded it.   No signs of much growth yet.   Has had to water it every day but it is just too dry and chilly  me-thinks.

static_weathercams.php.jpe

2 hours ago, Blitzen said:

Hubby raked moss out of the grass 10 days ago and re-seeded it.   No signs of much growth yet.   Has had to water it every day but it is just too dry and chilly  me-thinks.

static_weathercams.php.jpe

Here's my local weather station's observations for the last 24hrs:

IMG_2143.thumb.PNG.df7da2e193412ae831d143e028e3d6b2.PNG

The easterly breeze is cool so it doesn't feel like the 11C it is. At least it's dry? Yawn! 

• Like 1

Was a lovely day (after a bit of a slow start) but the low cloud (I assume it's that) has came in

Fine day here too with a soft SE wind cows and calves lying in the sun with a maximum temperature of 16c. Started cutting  domestic grasses this evening . Sold a few bales of hay today and customers were saying the grass in their paddocks has stopped growing because of drought. Cooler nights later this week will not help growth  either.

1 hour ago, Northernlights said:

Fine day here too with a soft SE wind cows and calves lying in the sun with a maximum temperature of 16c. Started cutting  domestic grasses this evening . Sold a few bales of hay today and customers were saying the grass in their paddocks has stopped growing because of drought. Cooler nights later this week will not help growth  either.

Indeed. Ground is all cracked but we do have some grass.

Max of 17.6c here which is not too awful (felt cooler with the breeze)

11 hours ago, Ravelin said:

Well not a lot to say is there. Overall an OK weekend around here as it was dry and reasonably bright if not exactly sunny. Temperatures just struggling into the low teens at times. A rather grey start to the day here with the Easterly wind blowing cloud in off the North Sea.

Hopefully a bit sunnier and warmer later in the week as it's a frustrating time keeping bees when it's like this. The rape around here is flowering in some nearby fields but no sign of the bees bringing any nectar in yet as it's probably just too cool for the plants to be producing it. Wife even stuck the feeders back on the hives yesterday as the bees have built up the colonies but without a good food source we don't want them starving. If it doesn't warm up at least a bit in May, especially before the rape crops stop flowering, then early season honey production will be low or non-existent.

Can confirm rape has fully flowered in Northern England (don't grow much if any around here), I always notice how far ahead the midlands are from us in April and they're ahead of Northern England who are ahead of us and we're probably ahead of you (and so on!) haha.

Farmer was taking a first cut of silage today in Durham but don't think the difference was massive given lack of water, must surely be stunting growth.

Just read online that a farmer in Perthshire is irrigating spring barley as it is so dry. Will only be worth it if enough other spring barley is severely hit by drought  becomes very scarce at harvest  and the price / tonne  shoots up from its currently low base.

Edited by Northernlights

On ‎01‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 04:53, CatchMyDrift said:

Catch, Lets hope that this is Mother Nature making up for all the past numerous years O' wet pash! A bit warmer would be nice though as it's fekin cauld in the East wind.

Whit a treat here at the moment tae be able to walk on the park, walkways and even Fermurs Fields withoot being ankle tae knee deep in mud!

Big likin this dry withur Innes     

• Like 3

Yah, the cloud finally broke early afternoon to let the sun out and the temp get up into the low teens (not great but better than it'd been).

Another super afternoon after another exceedingly slow start. May always seems to be the best time of the year up here and so far it's not disappointing

Ground frost to start the day at 2c but turned into a fine sunny afternoon with a maximum temperature of 16c. Cattle just loving it don"t mind the cold mornings driving rain is the worst weather for them.

• Like 2

The sun came through for thirty seconds here:

IMG_2146.thumb.JPG.8ce0d7ea78fc38d0c607e984c2e37d73.JPG

It's been a cold day, max temp didn't quite reach 11C and feeling cold in the easterly breeze. I'm only 15 miles from the coast so that's to be expected. 

Random question now. I've seen a couple of these in the past few days, why are crows being trapped like this? What purpose does it serve. I'm sure @Northernlights will know :) 

IMG_2144.thumb.JPG.702395d351dc278024b1becb9ee47a02.JPG

Hi Catch, Re the Crow/Magpie (Larsen trap)I have used these sort before and have trapped many amount as the live Crow within gives the other Crows confidence to enter. At this time of year Crows attack young Lambs/Calf's I have found Lambs in the past with there eyed pecked out by them!

Edited by Polar Maritime
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Hi Catch, Re the Crow (Larsen trap)I have used these sort before and have trapped many amount as the live Crow within gives the other Crows confidence to enter. At this time of year Crows attack young Lambs/Calf's I have found Lambs in the past with there eyed pecked out by them!

I would have thought there were too many crows to have much of an effect? Beautiful birds but hard as nails, they'll attack anything including a buzzard. 

Thanks for the answer :) 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Hi Catch, Re the Crow/Magpie (Larsen trap)I have used these sort before and have trapped many amount as the live Crow within gives the other Crows confidence to enter. At this time of year Crows attack young Lambs/Calf's I have found Lambs in the past with there eyed pecked out by them!

As above also the crow family also take eggs from other birds nests in the spring putting their survival   as seperate speices under threat. .

• Like 4

I might be mistaken here, but doesn't spring tend to be quite chilly a lot of the time? We'll get some spells of nice pleasant weather (and sometimes warm weather) quite early sometimes, but I seem to think we're always left waiting ages for something more reliable.

We might get sunny weather like now, but it will be cold, or it will be showery, but temps never seem to be reliable until June at least. Always really frustrating at this time of year, as I look a the brighter nights and it seems like it should be quite pleasant, but stepout in it and you still need your warm jacket.

Always laugh at the shops in Glasgow advertising their summer lines of shorts and t-shirts - you can still need a jumper here in mid-June!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Polar Maritime said:

PM ( and NL), out of real interest, how many lambs over the years have you found with eyes pecked out by crows. I'm not doubting this does happen.

6 hours ago, Northernlights said:

As above also the crow family also take eggs from other birds nests in the spring putting their survival   as seperate speices under threat. .

https://raptorpersecutionscotland.wordpress.com/2014/12/16/new-study-suggests-that-killing-crows-is-mostly-pointless-most-of-the-time/

This study maybe worthy of note in regard to the impact of corvid predation on other species.

Hello ciel as I do not have breeding sheep can only go on evidence from farmers who do but have seen an adult wintering sheep of ours which had  got stuck head first in a badger hole at the edge of a field had its anus attacked by crows. 

On the subject of badgers they are having an impact on lots of ground nesting birds by walking the tramlines in the spring barley taking their eggs. Numbers on this farm have probably gone up by 500% in the last 50 years  as evidenced by all the setts at the edge of the farm and the number of dead badgers on the A96.(new dual carriageway will cross 272 setts between Inverness and Nairn and report says effect on population will be negligable)along with massive increases in other predator species such as pine martin(have seen 5 playiing in pine tree at edge of wood on farm) buzzards(7 pairs been seen circling one wood at edge of farm) and foxes etc..

One potential reason for this may be the availability of extra food at the local  "Predators Macdonalds" in the form of thousands of tame pheasants in pens which are then released just prior to the shooting season with no inbuilt self preservation instincts.Have seen a pen in one of our  local woods where pine martin got in and killed 200 pheasants in one night.   By providing this extra food predator numbers are artificially high and so their effect on other species  is higher too.Numbers of hares rabbits lapwing and oyster catchers have all gone down dramatically in the last 50 years on this farm and we still have an old fashioned 7 course rotation 3 years barley. one year roots  (swedes) and 3 years grass.Final comment wild bred pheasants are  non existant !

Back to weather fine sunny start to day at 1c with ground frost.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 5