Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba Regional Weather Discussion 23/04/17 onwards

BlueHedgehog074

Posted
14 hours ago, 101_North said:

From past experience I'm expecting initial rain showers, then the snow showers will largely avoid me, the low will eventually track too far north or south and then right at the tail end of the cold snap I'll be granted a dusting :D

Ditto here in West, rain as the starter then copious amounts of ice-cream as north and south go straight to dessert, with a steaming pile of muck served slap bang in the middle as the main course!

Edited by grifter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
11 minutes ago, grifter said:

Ditto here in West, rain as the starter then copious amounts of ice-cream as north and south go straight to dessert, with a steaming pile of muck served slap bang in the middle as the main course!

So this is why the hospitals are overloaded!

In the meantime, we have hit the giddy heights of 8C this afternoon so it felt pretty warm in the yard, with a strong westerly wind; we're expected to get a bit warmer yet before getting pummelled by er light wintry showers.

Posted
8 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

So this is why the hospitals are overloaded!

In the meantime, we have hit the giddy heights of 8C this afternoon so it felt pretty warm in the yard, with a strong westerly wind; we're expected to get a bit warmer yet before getting pummelled by er light wintry showers.

Chief Forecaster MO for Strathy mon-wed quite upbeat with a "very likely" right at the top of the probability matrix for all 3 days, never seen that high or for that length of time before on MO, impact 2 blocks up:

Snow showers will be heaviest and most frequent across western Scotland. The largest accumulations of snow will be over high ground with over 10 cm building up above 200 metres. At low levels, accumulations of the order 2-5 cm will be more typical. Showers will also be accompanied by hail and lightning at times, particularly across northern and western Scotland. Here in particular there is potential for disruption to power supplies from frequent lightning strikes. Strong winds are also expected, with the potential for temporary blizzard conditions and drifting of lying snow, particularly over high ground.

Actual details for my own area seem Plss poor though! Maybe get some thunder to wake me up at 3AM again lol :)

Edited by grifter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow

The low taking the same track as the 06z..

9CAE71C6-9859-4349-AE9B-DAD3CDE4FA84.thumb.jpeg.9b8850bcdd7cc9aad38e1a934f5987cf.jpeg

C546B522-923C-42B3-9B77-2550D245B871.thumb.png.600fa9360d62a3679e03c96813807210.pngAC3144A2-9E70-4BC6-BAC7-506E9C8B488B.thumb.png.dbb196f960b7530adabaa01fd7ede153.png6B8E05FB-9C4E-44FA-8714-C33242060301.thumb.png.0496f1148ef7f5566a9d6f96f7e49167.png

This will bring heavy snow for the Highlands northwards but will turn back to snow further south as it moves away then we are back into a cold NW flow with the possibility of more snow showers for the west.

Before that we have this to look forward to...

1AC08FD0-19FB-45A1-A91D-3BB3444C0B62.thumb.png.b92ddcfd54052f3b412b3d9541491591.png

I am no expert in looking at the charts so someone correct me if I am wrong but I think it’s looking good for us Scots despite the doom and gloom in the model thread :)

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, wild! wild! wild! Frost, a wee bit o' sun....

Do I detect the teensiest bit of excitement on here? Should I look out a shovel? Should I head for the nearest supermarket and strip the shelves of bread, milk, gin and wine? Tell you what though, I think we should all take as many snow piccies as we can over the next few days and post them in the Model Thread! With, off course, depths of snaw at your back door. We could ramp it up a bit by saying things like, ' cannae get oot tae ma work the day!', took me four oors tae walk tae the bus stop', ' kids delirious wi' excitement, ( BIg Kids Too! ) Y'know, rub it in a bit eh? :diablo::diablo: Bad Girl! Anyhoo, blawin' the usual winter hoolie up here, just had a blast of 50.8mph wi' horizontal rain. Hope you all get bucket loads o' the white stuff this week! I may even get a wee dusting masel!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

GFS so take with a pinch of salt - but, you get the idea...

image.thumb.png.74dbded68760f7c90303adcdaed2578a.png

• Like 2

Posted

Very windy here just now but front breaking over us so almost no rain ,currently 5.5c.

Posted
3 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

The latest Euro 4 also looking good! The southern uplands should do well!

F101E873-FAEE-409F-A8FF-181E7A224CEC.thumb.gif.d44093287939097ec029ef1dded20942.gif

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

I get the idea! Hee haw for me as expected:rofl:

Edited by 101_North

Posted

Looking like an Xmas night/Boxing Day repeat for us western Borders' folk.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
14 minutes ago, 101_North said:

I get the idea! Hee haw for me as expected:rofl:

If the wind stays W or anything South of that showers will surely get through to you in the Edinburgh area? Even h Perth or here will get an odd one as long as it doesn't go North of a Westerly direction. 

WNW for here is dodgy but some may get through the Central belt. Good luck!

Edited by Norrance
Addition.
  • Like 3

Posted
34 minutes ago, Norrance said:

If the wind stays W or anything South of that showers will surely get through to you in the Edinburgh area? Even h Perth or here will get an odd one as long as it doesn't go North of a Westerly direction. 

WNW for here is dodgy but some may get through the Central belt. Good luck!

Yeah we'd probably catch showers OK if the wind doesn't veer north of West. WSW'ly forecast at the minute - hope it stays like that to give us a chance!

Screenshot_20180114-191722.thumb.jpg.ee131684d8a5f61b465f4fd267ada463.jpg

Screenshot_20180114-190802.jpg

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 4

Posted

Despite living in the 'city' I'm still 10 minute walk away from the countryside in Linn Park.

Went for a walk before the wind & rain that kicked in in the last 2 hours. My wife was worried about the ducks floating towards the waterfall. They knew what they were doing. Went to the edge then backed off.

The trees in the forest are Corsican pines. They are 'resistant to snow and ice damage' so they are well suited to the week ahead!:D

IMG_3463.JPG

IMG_3464.JPG

• Like 8

That's it then winters over coz London aint getting any snow bruv you get me no white stuff... :rofl: the MOD thread is full of doom and gloom again this evening with that low going North and giving Scotland a pelting but that will never get a mention coz apparently we get loads of the white stuff even in rubbish winters. and yes I can confirm the wind is a little keen this evening. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, warm spring, hot summers - nae chance in Scottie though!

Rather breezy out ! Jeez! Waiting for the lashing rain to arrive . 

Tuesday I might sneak some light snow for the day . At last some falling snow. 

Posted
7 minutes ago, More Snow said:

That's it then winters over coz London aint getting any snow bruv you get me no white stuff... :rofl: the MOD thread is full of doom and gloom again this evening with that low going North and giving Scotland a pelting but that will never get a mention coz apparently we get loads of the white stuff even in rubbish winters. and yes I can confirm the wind is a little keen this evening. 

Haha my thoughts exactly! 

We should do what @mistyqueen said or is that being naughty? :p

Posted

I hope I'm wrong but for here I'm calling rain all the way. Seen it so many times before. At first I thought we always do great from these set ups but have a bad feeling about this one. We'll see. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
5 minutes ago, Stormeh said:

Haha my thoughts exactly! 

We should do what @mistyqueen said or is that being naughty? :p

TBH it's barely worth the bother as your post will just get deleted by some assiduous moderator (apologies to @shuggee mainly) before it gets to raise any BP...

• Like 1

Posted

Now, now - it's difficult for everyone when the mood goes south (literally :D). Post away in MOD your model commentary.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: any storms

Note to self 

Always  go into the regional thread  first I've just caught up with all the downgrades in the mod thread then watched countryfile  5 day forecast   and then popped in here. 

Certainly doesn't look like bog standard  winter weather this week .snow beginning in about   12 hours   let the good times roll 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw
25 minutes ago, biggreyface said:

Note to self 

Always  go into the regional thread  first I've just caught up with all the downgrades in the mod thread then watched countryfile  5 day forecast   and then popped in here. 

Certainly doesn't look like bog standard  winter weather this week .snow beginning in about   12 hours   let the good times roll 

Aye. 

You can always tell when there's snaw coming. SS appears in the regional thread again. :)

As the auld saying goes:

SS in the mornin = snaw warnin

SS at night = snaw delight

• Like 2