• Photo 6
    • Photo 7
    • Photo 8
    • Photo 9
    • Photo 10
    • Photo 11
    • Photo 12
    • Photo 13

It's the big one! The final of the storm chase USA 2016 photo competition. The entries have been whittled down in the first vote, so we have the cream of the crop for the final vote. One small change is that on the tour 1 photos - photos 5 & 6 made it through to the final, but they were from the same day / same photographer, so just one of them is included in the vote, and the fourth place photo from that tour is now included in the final. 

The vote will close on Friday at 11am.

Good luck to all the finalists!

All photos were taking during the 2016 WeatherHolidays/Netweather storm chases by guests - if you'd like to join one of our tours, take a look at the WeatherHolidays website for more information.

Photo 1:
t1-1.jpg

Photo 2:
t4-9.jpg

Photo 3:
t1-5.jpg

Photo 4:
t4-6.jpg

Photo 5:
t1-12.JPG

Photo 6:
t4-5.jpg

Photo 7:
t2-2.JPG

Photo 8:
t3-15.jpg

Photo 9:
t2-9.jpg

Photo 10:
t3-12.jpg

Photo 11:
t2-11.jpg

Photo 12:
t2-34.jpg

Photo 13:
t3-5.jpg

• Like 3

Please note, those starting duplicate accounts to vote in this will have their votes removed, so it's really not worth it.

• Like 2

No' 12 for me, I like a close encounter. All great shots in there own way and something that I wish I had put on my bucket list before I got a fear of flying!

2 hours ago, Polar Maritime said:

No' 12 for me, I like a close encounter. All great shots in there own way and something that I wish I had put on my bucket list before I got a fear of flying!

I have one like number 12 on my wall - and number 7 is on my wall!

Some really spectacular shots from some magnificent storms. Particular like number 3 - wish I saw the Wynnewood tornado!

• Like 2

Thanks guys! Number 12 is mine, and was definitely a close encounter. Though thanks really goes to Paul, Ian, Tom and Graham for getting us there, and getting us that close, safely! Thanks for the comments, genuinely made my day! :)

• Like 3

Close choice between 12 and 7 for me. Really love the colour contrast in them

• Like 1

16 hours ago, mikeofmacc said:

Thanks guys! Number 12 is mine, and was definitely a close encounter. Though thanks really goes to Paul, Ian, Tom and Graham for getting us there, and getting us that close, safely! Thanks for the comments, genuinely made my day! :)

Also got my vote, Mike! 

It's got to be photo 11: the vanishing point really draws the eye. Beautiful photo. You don't need a dramatic weather set piece like lightning or a tornado to make a great photo - an empty road and an interesting cloud can do the job just as well!

• Like 1

Just now, Cloud Iris said:

It's got to be photo 11: the vanishing point really draws the eye. Beautiful photo. You don't need a dramatic weather set piece like lightning or a tornado to make a great photo - an empty road and an interesting cloud can do the job just as well!

Just realised there is actually a little tornado in photo 11. But it's not the immediate focus of the photo and it still gets my vote!

1 minute ago, Cloud Iris said:

Just realised there is actually a little tornado in photo 11. But it's not the immediate focus of the photo and it still gets my vote!

There were actually three tornadoes on the ground at one point from that storm, was very fortunate to witness it!

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cloud Iris said:

It's a brilliant shot that captures the memory of the day perfectly. Driving down the dirt road towards the tornadoes was probably the best fun I've had on tour. I do have videos of that day on my website - brilliant memories!

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Brignalls said:

They're all brilliant! Wish I could vote more than one!

Yes they are,i would love to witness some of this weather in the UK but not the tornadic volicity that they witness over there of caurse

i love photo's 7 & 9 for the stuctures but i can only pick one,mmmm!

9 it is for the sunset background and it looks more dramatic,stunning:)

thanks to all for the pics,they are all winners to me:clap:

Edited by Allseasons-si

It's a toss up between 2, 7 and 11. I can't decide out of those three. 

• Like 1

I love photo 8, That cloud is almost ready to drop an F3   :) 

• Like 1

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By JWHancock
      Good morning 
      My partner and I are both professional photographers, one shot that’s been on our bucket list for too long is the classic coastal storm / lighthouse shot. We’re planning to travel to Porthcawl tomorrow to capture Storm Brian, any tips or advice would be most welcome…
    • By DSTimelapseHD
      Hello peeps,
      This will be a thread to share your own time-lapse videos in. 
      I did this one recently: Its pretty long, but pretty interesting: 

• By Natalieray93
      Good evening! 
      I am a British photographer who is planning a new documentary photo story for 2018. I want to make work about storm chasers, of all ages, what drove them, their interests and lifestyle. Basically everything they do. I understand that I don't have storm chasing experience, but it's more about the people that I am interested in. If anybody is interested or knows of some great characters who would like to be involved! Please get in touch! 
    • By Supacell
      The 27th May had held promise of thunderstorms and for some there had been. Unfortunately for me I was never in the right place at the right time. The combination of busy Friday evening roads and storms that were lasting no longer than a few minutes put pay to me finding success. Luckily, the 28th May also showed hope and this time I could get myself in position before the storms developed. I had driven a long way from Derby to Bristol and so decided stopping over and chasing the next day was the right thing to do. I did not want to go home with nothing! It was not the most comfortable night sleeping, I managed about two hours laid across my back seat. I was not going to let this deter me from another day of chasing though.
      Waiting for the first developments
      Despite a few distant flashes overnight from weak storms over the south west Midlands there was little storm activity close by during the night time hours. I had stayed over near to Warminster in Wiltshire at the side of country road near to Heytesbury. As dawn broke I could see glimmers of blue in the skies above, but the land was shrouded in a thin mist and temperatures were at a cool 10c. I decided to drive into Warminster and get fuel for the car, fuel for myself (breakfast) and then headed back to Heytesbury to take a short walk around the fields there.

It was around 10:30am that the mist started to clear and the sun came out. Once the sun broke through the temperatures rocketed, by midday they were up at 20c. This isn't that high but with high humidity too it was feeling very warm and sweaty. By midday I had travelled west and stopped in the pretty little town of Mere for some lunch. Thinking the risk looked higher further west in Somerset I took a drive westwards to a picturesque little village called Redlynch just south of Bruton in Somerset. This was a great setting to watch the cumulus clouds in the skies above develop and so I stayed here for a couple of hours, taking another walk as I waited for something to happen.
      It took a while for the first showers to develop. When they did they were light and did not seem to be showing signs of developing any further. I knew that at around 4pm it was too early to be worrying about another bust day but have to admit the slightest worry was creeping in. By now I was sat not far from Martock. My plan was to stay close to the A303 as this would provide easy access west or east to intercept northwestward moving cells.
      Ilminster Pulse Storm
      A short while later I heard a rumble of thunder to my west. I could not see a storm on the radar and with my views somewhat obscured by houses, I could not see a storm either. Even so, I knew what I had heard and so headed for the A303 westbound. The next radar update showed cells had erupted along the A303 and the one I was hearing was just to my southwest and heading in the direction of Ilminster. By the time I reachd the A303 I had a view of dark skies to my southwest and was certain this was the storm I had heard.

As I approached Ilminster the rain was getting heavier and soon I was under the cell I had been chasing. By this stage I had not seen any lightning but the rain became torrential and the radar showed it was still intensifying. A bright flash of lightning then filled the sky followed immediately by a bang of thunder which I heard despite being inside the car and driving under now torrential rain.
      For the next few minutes I drove through a torrential storm with small hail and some gusty winds. I did not see any more lightning but could see on the radar that there was lightning being detected. I was soon ahead of the storm, the advantage of having a fast road against a slow moving storm, and was able to park up not far from Combe St Nicholas to view the storm moving in. 
      As the storm rolled towards me there were a few feint flashes of lightning and thunder. What was surprising is how loud the thunder was despite the lightning being rather weak and the storm seemed a distance away. Unfortunately, just minutes after setting up to film the storm move in it died out as quickly as it had developed. Frustrating, but most of its action had been happening whilst i was in the car. Even so, I was satisfied that I had at least seen something.
      Checking once more on the radar I could see there were now numerous heavy showers and storms. They were pulse storms and were firing up at one location before dying suddenly and firing up elsewhere. Chasing these storms was going to be difficult. I decided I needed to follow the main line of showers as they very slowly headed northwards in the hope I could be under one when it pulsed up into a storm. Luckily I had decided to head in the right direction for what was about to develop.

Bridgwater & Quantock Hills Storm

Sitting not far from Taunton and nearby the M5 I saw on the radar that a storm had erupted and was heading towards Bridgwater. Another cell had erupted near to Minehead. These cells looked good on the radar and I knew I could get into the one near Bridgwater very quickly by using the M5.
      Moments later I was heading up the M5 with a dark grey, brown sky ahead and the occasional feint flash. Once I arrived at Bridgwater I could see a well formed storm to the southwest with more feint flashes. In order to film the storm I needed to be closer to it but not under it and so I drove west and came to rest near the village of Cannington. 
      With my camcorder set up looking west I was now witnessing an active thunderstorm. The storm had a very defined precipitation core and there were frequent flashes of lightning from it. The lightning was feint and all the flashes were intracloud but the thunder was loud and the storm had the look of a strong storm. I expect underneath the storm the lightning would have been brighter and the rain torrential. I was getting a fantastic view though, despite the now low light causing problems trying to focus my camcorder.

Driving westwards towards the Quantock Hills I could see more frequent flashes of lightning. It was now very dark despite the time only just approaching 8pm. I pulled up again to the film the storm from a different angle, I was now in front of it rather than alongside it. The storm was exhibiting the same characteristics, frequent but feint flashes of lightning and beautiful sounding thunder crackling across the sky. The rain was light where I was, which meant I could stand and film the storm without getting too wet.
      My plan was to now drive into the storm, but as I approached it appeared that it had reached its full potential and was now in its dying phase. Luckily it did not die as quickly as the previous storms, and I was able to spend a short while driving underneath it as it dropped a couple of bolts. These were the only CG bolts I had seen during the day with virtually all of the lightning having been intra cloud up to this point. As I chased the storm over the Quantock hills it finally died out, although was still producing some heavy rainfall.
      During its strongest phase this storm was producing torrential rainfall, as can be seen from the radar grabs below. I have no doubt there were hailstones in there too considering the bright echoes being returned. I had stayed outside the precipitation core in order to be able to get some visibility of the storm. 

As I was following the storm I could see the amount of water left behind on the roads and the resultant flooding. Another storm had broken out further south and my plan was to drive back towards Taunton in order to intercept this one, but this was not possible as my route had been completely blocked by deep floodwater. Some roads had been turned to rivers.

In all a very good day for storms over Somerset. They were pulse storms and this made spending any time with them and getting the footage more difficult, but they were also slow moving and so I was able to get to them with relative ease. For a day in May I was satisfied, some good storms to quench the appetite before the arrival of summer.

• By mikeofmacc
      Hi,

I went out to America with Netweather this year for the Storm Chase on Tour 1 and got some amazing shots. I found the camera I had (Fuji S2950) with me, a bit difficult to use for the type of photography. It doesn't have much offering for long exposure, and it was very much a guessing game as to whether I caught lightning on it. As well, photography under the storms where its quite dark, didn't really come out brilliantly. I wasn't able to catch the colours that I was actually seeing, in the pictures.

I have a budget for a new camera before I go out to America next May, and am asking for suggestions for a new camera, that is really geared towards photography of storms and landscapes. I guess these are my most important requirements:-
      Camera that has good feedback for learning to capture lightning with Generally good at capturing colours in storms well in darker surroundings (under storms) Long exposure (longer the better) Panoramic photography would be beneficial. My current camera is a bridge camera, and I am open towards suggestions of bridge cameras again or cameras with separate lenses. Budget is upto £500-£600 if the camera is a good one.

Any suggestions for cameras that are currently used for similar activities would be massively appreciated.

Cheers,
      Mike.