Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Convective / Storm Discussion Thread - 27th Feb onwards

Nick F

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in
7 minutes ago, lassie23 said:

first shower i've had for ages

Finally. :rofl:

Looks dark to the north west now but again nothing showing on the radar. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow

Shame there is no thunder in these showers, because after this, we won't be having any weather for ages.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winter, warm/hot summer with the odd storm thrown in

Just caught the edge of another shower giving moderate rain. Also another one passed further east. Seems similar to last week where all the heaviest showers go either side of here. 

IMG_0280.JPG

IMG_0278.JPG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Loads of puffy cauliflower heads and some small towers going up in tower hamlets a couple of hours ago. Sky is black now and very unstable looking.

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, rain, tornados, funnel clouds and the northern lights

Bit late but I haven't seen it posted yet so here goes!...

largethumb.thumb.png.a2372b0b2f97a0b248fc3d99224f35d2.png

Day 1 Convective Outlook

VALID 06:00 UTC Tue 02 May 2017 - 05:59 UTC Wed 03 May 2017

ISSUED 04:41 UTC Mon 01 May 2017

ISSUED BY: Dan

Cut-off upper low will become centred across eastern France on Tuesday, but still sufficiently close to S/SE England to provide some cool air aloft and marginal instability in response to diurnal heating. A few scattered showers are likely to develop during Tuesday afternoon, enhanced by low-level wind convergence and thence moving generally S/SW-wards in the flow, perhaps marginally deep enough to produce some isolated lightning.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Beautiful cloudbases over Chelsea

IMG_4856.JPG

Nice, and very unstable looking as well.:)

Posted

Signs of something developing. 

IMG_0282.JPG

Posted

Very dark in tower hamlets and just starting raining hard.

Posted
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)
  • Location: Caterham-on-the-hill, Surrey, 190m asl (home), Heathrow (work)

Skies have looked modestly threatening for rain all afternoon and finally we have some sporadic heavy downpours here in south London.

Felt like months since I last heard thunder, but my craving for it will be satisfied as I head stateside to deliberately hunt for storms next Monday. 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Nick F said:

Skies have looked modestly threatening for rain all afternoon and finally we have some sporadic heavy downpours here in south London.

Felt like months since I last heard thunder, but my craving for it will be satisfied as I head stateside to deliberately hunt for storms next Monday. 

Nice. I've always fancied seeing some supercell storms. Hope you get plenty of storm action over there. Good luck mate.

Posted

Wonder if we'll get anything else today or if that's it?

We also seem to have a northerly wind. I could be wrong, but I'm sure an easterly was forecast? There is a bank of rain sitting just to the east which could be blown our way had we got an easterly. Frustrating.

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C

This afternoon there's been some lovely cloud formations here, including Undulatus Asperatus and what may have been Mammatus, but with it has just been nothing more than the occasional shower.

Posted

Been like this for a while now to the north east. 

IMG_0284.JPG

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

I think we've all missed the boat for today - convectively speaking.

Really did look like there would be at least some heavy showers about but it's all just fizzling away. Probably the early cloud cover inhibiting the necessary diurnal heating needed to spark anything off.

I know there was only a small chance of lightning today but was this afternoon a good example of having instability but no trigger?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

I think we've all missed the boat for today - convectively speaking.

Really did look like there would be at least some heavy showers about but it's all just fizzling away. Probably the early cloud cover inhibiting the necessary diurnal heating needed to spark anything off.

I know there was only a small chance of lightning today but was this afternoon a good example of having instability but no trigger?

Instability was poor today, and lapse rates not much better either. I probably need to be educated but I would not have seen any potential at all today.

viewimage_pbx.thumb.png.2a507930391405ed745cad4cbaa67ecc.png

So far it has been a very quiet season and I am still yet to dust off the storm chasing equipment that has been out of use since last October. I am hopeful that the odd sneaky plume type charts showing in FI are a sign of things to come.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers
32 minutes ago, Supacell said:

Instability was poor today, and lapse rates not much better either. I probably need to be educated but I would not have seen any potential at all today.

viewimage_pbx.thumb.png.2a507930391405ed745cad4cbaa67ecc.png

So far it has been a very quiet season and I am still yet to dust off the storm chasing equipment that has been out of use since last October. I am hopeful that the odd sneaky plume type charts showing in FI are a sign of things to come.

I based my very limited expectations on a low risk from Convective Weather and was aware there was marginal instability but figured that was still enough for something brief given the right ingredients.

I think instability was only even remotely good down in the far south but it shows when you look at what the skies were like earlier on.

I too am looking carefully at FI charts, you have to speculate to spectate!

Posted

Yep, that looks like it for today. The chance was low admittedly, but that doesn't mean one can't hope! Still waiting for my first proper storm of 2017 (although that single ic flash and two rumbles last week was still fun).

Edited by Windblade

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Some very threatening skies this afternoon here, looked like a supercell was forming but got a bit of light rain instead. Only in the UK, the land of apocalyptic skies that deliver........not much. 

IMG_4306.JPG

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather extremes

No storm here today, but we did get some extremely heavy rain and some small hail; enough to create some minor surface flooding. There was also some nice structure on the last shower that came through before it got dark.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and breezy with a bit of cloud, about 20C
3 hours ago, Windblade said:

Yep, that looks like it for today. The chance was low admittedly, but that doesn't mean one can't hope! Still waiting for my first proper storm of 2017 (although that single ic flash and two rumbles last week was still fun).

Still more than what we've had here!