Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Tristrame

Davis Vantage Pro 2 problems

Recommended Posts

Hi Folks 

 

Ive had one of these for years 

However I changed the battery in the ISS today as I was only getting signal in sunlight 

Trouble is I'm not getting any signal  at all on battery power

Inside under the battery the green led only flashes when I set the channel ID to ch 4- the test channel 

The console receives nothing when set to whichever ch number I've tried 

No light on 1 2 or 3 (there are only 4) See attached pic

They're all off in the pic

 

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I'm hoping it's something simple

I've  actually forgotten  the original set up from a few years ago as I've never had to change anything 

 

Thanks in advance for you help

IMG_1009.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the set up from console you can search for any nearby stations, there should be 8 channels I think.
It looks in good clean condition so seems unlikely the battery can't power it when it was apparently working on solar through the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shouldn't at least one of those dip switches be enabled?

Might be worth reading through this: http://wiki.trixology.com/index.php?title=How_to_change_the_station_transmitter_IDs_for_Davis_Vantage_Pro-2_hardware

I bought the anemometer transmitter, i'm sure I have the 1st dip switch in the 'on' position, on the main ISS transmitter, and dip switch 2 in the 'on' position on my anemometer transmitter,

Edited by Mapantz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh I had the dips off when I took the photo sorry as I had googled a hard reset

Now I've no green led lighting at all

I'm beginning to think the transmitter board will need replacing

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tristrame said:

Oh I had the dips off when I took the photo sorry as I had googled a hard reset

Now I've no green led lighting at all

I'm beginning to think the transmitter board will need replacing

 

http://www.weatherspares.co.uk/davis-vantage-pro2-uk--eu--ov-wireless-iss-pcb-only-refurbished-507-p.asp

or if not in stock:

http://www.weatherspares.co.uk/davis-vantage-pro2-wireless-integrated-sensor-suite-pcb-146-p.asp

Edited by 4wd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers folks,I've asked the weather shop to quote me for the replacement as it's there I got the Davis originally 

I will let ye know how I get on

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I ordered the part and incredibly it's been in Heathrows parcel depot for the past 48 hrs without moving 

Its been scanned twice there first at 1am wenesday night and again at 1241 today 

 

The Irish post office could see todays scan but it's not on Royal mails track and trace

Typical

Its not India it's going to but it feels like it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And now it's weekend so you won't see it till Monday at earliest!
I ordered a part from Scaled Instruments in Florida and it took a week to go 50 miles while over there (USPS)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's still in Heathrow 

Rang Irish post office and they have not received it 

Quite maddening!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At last got it yesterday 

Painless  enough swapping over and everything is working correctly now,it's solved the problem \0/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had this exact same issue with my first Davis anemometer transmitter (it uses the same PCB). Pretty much straight away it exhibited the same behaviour you describe. The replacement has been working correctly for 6 years now with only two battery changes required in that time.

It should hopefully last you a while as Davis QC seems to be much better now. In the first two years of owning my station I had an anemometer (reed switch), ISS PCB (leaking cap), FARS fan (would stop randomly) and anemometer  transmitter (above) all fail. Fortunately in the time afterwards everything has been OK.

Edited by reef

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Never tried it. Biggest problem I've had with Davis is repeated blowing of the super cap. Fault hasn't been fixed in the latest boards either. Luckily I can solder so it's a cheap but fiddly task replacing the caps in situ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I replaced my super cap on my VantagePro 1 a coupl years ago but now its only sending readings between midday and nine or thereabouts. I imagine I have to do it all again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine died in October last year got a cluster fly invasion in sensors,thinking of upgrading to pro as been using a Claus Olsen cheapo ,lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/07/2018 at 10:16, jayartibee said:

I replaced my super cap on my VantagePro 1 a coupl years ago but now its only sending readings between midday and nine or thereabouts. I imagine I have to do it all again.

Sounds like it. At the moment mine are still working but must be due to go pop again any time soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/02/2017 at 08:22, The PIT said:

Never tried it. Biggest problem I've had with Davis is repeated blowing of the super cap. Fault hasn't been fixed in the latest boards either. Luckily I can solder so it's a cheap but fiddly task replacing the caps in situ.

I'm not good at soldering such tiny stuff but fixed mine by soldering the new one's legs to the old one rather than properly fitting it in the board.
It failed again later so I bought a new board which has been OK for more than three years now.
Another recent relatively easy fix was replacing bearings in the anemometer which had started needing 5mph before it would spin.
They are available on ebay for under £20 and fitting was fairly simple.
But again it's annoying that the entire wind unit was replaced only 3 or 4 years before.
The only part on mine which hasn't be replaced at least once is the rain tipping thing.
MInd I bought it used, condition unknown for £100 and it only needed temp/humidity sensor to get going.
 

Edited by 4wd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The newer boards also have the same failure issue. I guess it's pure luck how long they last. My last anemometer failed due to plastic disintegrating due to the sun. The older ones failed due to the reed switch which has been replaced in the new models.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, The PIT said:

The newer boards also have the same failure issue. I guess it's pure luck how long they last. My last anemometer failed due to plastic disintegrating due to the sun. The older ones failed due to the reed switch which has been replaced in the new models.

It is pure luck as you say. I've an ISS board that is still going strong after 8½ years, but another that died in under a year. Same with the anemometers - one had a failed reed switch in under 18 months, another has been going strong for over 7 years now.

I think the current ISS board that is 8½ years old and the 7½ year old anemometer are probably on borrowed time now though. The ISS board even survived water ingress, living on after being blow-dried to get rid of the moisture.

The FARS fans are garbage however, never had one last longer than 200 days, whereas my 12v custom fan I added has run 24/7 for 3½ years now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎29‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 00:23, reef said:

my 12v custom fan I added has run 24/7 for 3½ years now.

Hi reef, do you have a schematic or pics of your custom FARS setup?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 14:12, in the vale said:

Hi reef, do you have a schematic or pics of your custom FARS setup?

Apologies for the late-reply!

It is an Xerox photcopier drum fan by Adda (AD0912US-A79GL). It slots into the Davis perfectly and is held in place by cable ties. I have it wired up to a 12v DC adaptor but run it at 9v as it provides enough airflow. It has been running 24/7 like this since January 2015 without any issues.

They're quite hard to find these days compared to back in 2015 unfortunately, but superior in every way to the standard Davis fans of which I went through 4 in a year when running 24/7!

20150128_145952.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, reef said:

Apologies for the late-reply!

It is an Xerox photcopier drum fan by Adda (AD0912US-A79GL). It slots into the Davis perfectly and is held in place by cable ties. I have it wired up to a 12v DC adaptor but run it at 9v as it provides enough airflow. It has been running 24/7 like this since January 2015 without any issues.

They're quite hard to find these days compared to back in 2015 unfortunately, but superior in every way to the standard Davis fans of which I went through 4 in a year when running 24/7!

20150128_145952.jpg

Thanks reef - I'll have a look into this when I get some time to spare.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...