Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion 25th Jan - The final third of winter beckons..

Paul

Posted
4 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Oh dear! The scandi high gets a battering on this run. Bad trends so early in the run.

I think this was a given after the ECM and METO thoughts, beyond day 10 is when some form of Easterly looks more like happening so it's how that comes about.

cold floodgates still look primed to pounce.

IMG_4132.PNG

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, DJ RY said:

Sunday's low much shallower on GFS 18z 

Plenty of cape with slightly negative lifted values around the south & west and over much of Ireland though by the afternoon so heavy, thundery showers might get blown inland on the breeze especially near the coasts where cape remains the highest from Saturday evening onwards. 

image.jpeg

Yipee! Let's have some thundery showers in Feb lol

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Oh dear! The scandi high gets a battering on this run. Bad trends so early in the run.

Repeat after me: the trend is our friend!:clap:

• Like 3

Posted
2 minutes ago, DJ RY said:

Lol we had plenty of those during the last few Winters in S Wales. They came rolling in on and off all day and night from the Bristol Channel! 

This is the flavour of our present day winters lol. No snow but at least some juicy thunderstorms to drool over. This is what it has come to lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Scandi high takes a deep breath and puffs its chest out laughing at the Atlantic....is that all you've got big lad?

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_gfsnh-0-174.png

• Like 4

Posted

The taming of the Atlantic continues

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_gfsnh-0-216.png

• Like 1

Posted

Easterly in by day 9, still looks cold and still wintry showers feeding in, could be a great FI but I'm happy that all looks good for next weekend being cold at the minute.

scandy high about to get a WAA reload maybe 

IMG_4133.PNG

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

We are fast approaching the "boring" easterly option. Cold but dry and not feeling too bad in any sun lol.

Unfortunately the drum you are beating is downwind of the easterly and not being heard.I will take a boring Easterly to start with.

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_gfsnh-1-228.png

• Like 1

Posted

Slow burner this run hope UK model is right as it is by far the best option known are luck when it come to cold snowy weather it will revert in the Morning to the lesser evil.  One thing this winter regarding every cold spell uk Model has been spot on thats my last hope im hanging onto for the quicker solution.

Edited by booferking

Posted
3 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

Unfortunately the drum you are beating is downwind of the easterly and not being heard.I will take a boring Easterly to start with.

C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_gfsnh-1-228.png

Not beating any drum, just stating what the models are showing. That chart is so tame it would hardly pass as an easterly at all lol.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

And the failed easterly is followed by a......hold on what do we have here.......ahhh false alarm its a failed northerly.:)

gfseu-0-300.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
2 minutes ago, abbie123 said:

Cold moving in from east easterly flow maybe snow showers for south east it's a start going right direction..:D

IMG_0314.PNG

No matter how cold it gets, an 'east easterly flow' can never be trusted!:D

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, snowray said:

And the failed easterly is followed by a......hold on what do we have here.......ahhh false alarm its a failed northerly.:)

gfseu-0-300.png

Lol, it really is a merry go round isn't it. We are all mad in this shared crazy love for snow. That's why I find a bit of humour is essential to lighten the load and disappointment :)

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter Snow, extreme weather, mainly sunny mild summers though.

Is that what an east easterly flow looks like then? All these technical terms, I give up!:unsure2:

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

It is a tortuous evolution.

JMA just about there by day 11 :rolleyes: 

JN264-21.GIF?01-12

Posted

Variations from each run are showing a classic west east battleground but you got to say from most runs I seen, its initially the westerlies will win out but the easterlies does fight back but I do think expectations have to lower a bit though, I have seen very little evidence we are going to head into a snowy convective easterly and nor has there been much evidence the true cold air will reach the UK and if they do show this, its too far out to have any confidence in.

I think even if the westerlies look like winning, then unless the projected blocking high gets wiped away quickly then its far from over for the potential for some colder weather. Can't help but feel we been here before this winter though with projected height rises to our NE but in terms of the UK, its only affecting our shores in a slight fashion rather than anything significant.

Posted
1 hour ago, blizzard81 said:

We are fast approaching the "boring" easterly option. Cold but dry and not feeling too bad in any sun lol.

We are not fast approaching anything yet. The orientation of the blocking constantly shifts from run to run, it is as you'd expect we could well do, see a snowy easterly who knows. The only thing certain is an inflation of +ve heights to NE with cold air being relatively nearby. I don't understand why so many frame their outlook on one set of evening output it's repeated time and time again, quite infuriating. We will see change after change over the coming days. The models are struggling with such disparity even with 'storminess' in the days ahead the more vigorous LP systems the better, into Europe encouraging lower heights & aiding cold air advection. 

Edited by Daniel*
  • Like 6